Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:13 AM

Post 1988 Wyoming Highway Patrol HP 43

I would like to introduce you to HP 43 that served with the Wyoming Highway Patrol in Buffalo, WY from 1988 to 1991. The car was assigned to Patrolman Steve Steiner, Badge # 125 (served 1971 – 1994).

There were six 1988 Mustangs purchased by the Wyoming Highway Patrol, with each one being assigned to each of the patrol districts. There was a strict selection process to choose which patrolman was to be awarded a Mustang. Some factors considered were seniority, driving record and work performance. Five of the Mustangs went to EVOC training conducted by the Utah Highway Patrol on May 25-26, 1988 in Evanston, WY using the local airstrip for the driver training course. The sixth patrolman borrowed one of the Utah Mustangs. The instructors were Sgt. Dennis Bringhurst, Trooper Al Christianson and Trooper Larry Hogan of the Utah Highway Patrol.

The six Wyoming Mustangs were equipped from the factory with the 5-spd. manual transmission, power door locks, speed control, air conditioning, manual windows, rear window defroster, AM/FM Stereo Cassette radio, engine block heater, interval wipers, power mirrors and paint code of 1C Black. The Wyoming Highway Patrol added the white roof, a- and c-pillars, a single chrome driver side spotlight with red bulb, a Kustom Trooper K-band radar, Motorola Spectra radio with integrated siren controls, Federal Signal Jetsonic light bar, Unitrol light controller and mud flaps. Some of the cars used the rear seat cover with front zippered pouch for the shotgun, same as Utah. HP 43 was one of them. Not all patrolmen used these because one I talked to carried his in the soft case in the back floorboard for easy access. Another carried his in the soft case in the trunk.

The cars bore the badge number of the patrolman on the hood above the left headlight and on the left side of the deck lid in place of the LX emblem. At this time, the license plate did not match the badge number, but did denote the car number. The website statetrooperplates.com has a photo of the license plate off my car – HP 43. (If anyone knows who currently owns this plate, please let me know!) Also, another of the WHP SSPs is also pictured, that of late Patrolman Al Clavette, whom I personally knew from my time as a National Park Ranger, based out of Lovell, WY. Al had just recently traded for the new 1991 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 my rookie summer, so I never got to see his Mustang.

The six Wyoming Highway Patrol Mustangs were assigned as follows:
Steve Townsend, Badge # 153, Unit HP 148, Division M, District 2, Douglas, WY (1980-????)
Steve Steiner, Badge # 125, Unit HP 43, Division C, District 4, Buffalo, WY (1971-1994)
Steve Keigley, Badge # 77, Unit HP 22, Division F, District 1, Guernsey, WY (1980-1998)
Al Clavette, Badge # 129, Unit HP 57, Division N, District 5, Cody/Lovell, WY (1975-1997)
Garry Halter, Badge # Unknown, Unit HP 82, Division H, District 1, Rawlins, WY (1986-1989)
Jeff Berrett, Badge # 124, Unit HP 136, Division E, District 3, Rock Springs/Bridger Valley, WY (1985-1993)

Patrolman Steve Townsend’s SSP is the one pictured in the Gallery section of this site. Badge # 153, Unit HP 148. This was the missing Mustang at EVOC training. Another interesting note, this SSP was not in the consecutive VIN number listing of the other 5 WHP Mustangs. At this time, we don’t know why. The photos were taken by E. Prince at the headquarters building in Cheyenne (according to Patrolman Townsend, himself) and shows that he had a CB radio mounted in his SSP using a magnetic mount antenna. The other photo in the Gallery is of Patrolman Steve Keigley and his Mustang (Badge # 77, Unit HP 22) with a Colorado State Patrolman and his Mustang and a Utah Highway Patrolman at the state line between Wyoming and Colorado on I-25.

All cars were allowed to run the Wyoming Centennial front license plate that took the place of the official state plate for 1990.

According to the Wyoming Highway Patrol, this batch of six Mustangs were the only ones ever purchased. Once these retired, the B4C Camaro took over serving alongside Ford Crown Victorias, Chevrolet Caprices and later Ford Expeditions (started as winter use).

All of this information was compiled from phone conversations and emails with the retired patrolmen and the Wyoming Highway Patrol. A great amount of legwork went into getting this information and I cannot take credit for it, other than compiling it together and to help get started in the right place based on my personal knowledge from my time spent in Wyoming and talking with the patrolmen back then. I have quite a few 35mm photos I need to scan and post. However, like I said, I never saw the WHP Mustangs in service.

This is all because of my good friend Hector Alvarez. In 2010, we went to the Colorado State Patrol’s 75th Anniversary Celebration and Car Show – Hector with his 1988 CSP Mustang and me with my 1992 CSP Camaro. At the show, Hector found out talking with the CSP that not all of their Mustangs were marked white units. A small few were unmarked and different colors. Jump forward one year to 2011. Hector sees a black SSP on Craigslist in Denver, CO. After a few texts with the seller, he confirms it’s an SSP with the Denver DSO and purchases it right away, hoping it’s one of the very rare non-white CSP Mustangs. When the documentation that came with the car was looked at along with the buck tags…it was not to be a CSP Mustang. It turns out that Hector had just purchased a Wyoming Highway Patrol SSP, Unit # 43. The unicorn had been found. Knowing I had spent time in Wyoming, Hector contacted me to get help in researching the car and the history of the WHP SSP program. I told him to start with the local WYDOT office the car would have worked out of. Hector called and talked with the shop foreman and eventually tracked down the mechanic that worked on the car, but first, he hit pay dirt by making contact with Patrolman Steve Townsend at WHP Headquarters in Cheyenne, now a Sergeant. Through Sgt. Townsend, he got the names of all six patrolmen the Mustangs were assigned to and their locations. Sgt. Townsend also provided pictures and other needed information about the cars.

After an extensive internet search for the patrolman that drove HP 43, Patrolman Steve Steiner was possibly located in Missouri. Hector wants me to publicly thank Jim Doiron for getting some friends together on their day off and going to locate Mr. Steiner to confirm if he was indeed who Hector hoped he was. Mr. Steiner was not home, so Jim left a note on his door. A few days later, Jim got a call from Mr. Steiner confirming he was retired from the Wyoming Highway Patrol and drove the Mustang Hector now owned. Jim passed on Mr. Steiner’s contact information and the call was made.

Hector then made contact with Patrolman Steve Keigley, then Sheriff of Platte County, Wyoming. Here is a quote from the email he sent Hector, “Because of the small trunk only essential equipment was carried. My trunk contained: first aid kit, accident investigation equipment, special services squad equipment, law books including commercial vehicle books, traffic triangles, and brief case containing general essentials such as paper work, permits, etc. I believe we did switch to snow tires in the winter time.”

Patrolman Jeff Berrett was then located. He confirmed the radar and the radio and said he used the rear seat cover with the shotgun pouch in the front. More photos and documentation.

Patrolman/Sheriff Keigley is now retired. I spoke to him personally a few days ago. He explained the Special Services Squad to me and it’s very much like the National Park Service’s Special Event Teams. Several patrolmen are picked to train together and they then travel all over the state when the need arises to supplement the local patrolmen so they won’t be tied up with extra duties and responsibilities. This could be dignitary details, public events and celebrations, etc. which need extra manpower. Patrolman Steiner that drove my car was also a member of the Special Services Squad.

I’ve got some work ahead of me to restore this car, namely paint and body work, general wear items and some interior pieces. I will be restoring this car as a driver as close to original condition as I can. Over the years, I have collected most of the equipment, not even dreaming that one day I would own this car.

One thing that came out of the research on more than one occasion was this – these patrolmen took such great pride in getting assigned these Mustangs that they most likely shortened the life of the paint by constantly washing and waxing them to maintain the professional appearance they displayed at all times.

I will post some of the various documentation that came with the car, in-service and EVOC photos, as well as the Marti Report and buck tags over the next few posts.

With all of this said, as you digest this information, I will leave you with this…there is another!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3209rs.jpg (78.4 KB, 190 views)
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS B4C, Unit # 360 (Colorado State Patrol) **SOLD BACK TO CSP**
1996 Bronco XL 5.8L (California Highway Patrol)
Old 11-10-2016, 02:15 AM

Marti Report and buck tags.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HP 43 buck tags.JPG (54.1 KB, 21 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1FABP40E2JF202253_dlxrpt.pdf (241.5 KB, 32 views)
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS B4C, Unit # 360 (Colorado State Patrol) **SOLD BACK TO CSP**
Old 11-10-2016, 02:18 AM

First impressions...how she looked when Hector first purchased HP 43 in 2011.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 019.jpg (65.4 KB, 191 views)
Old 11-10-2016, 02:25 AM

As she looks today. I've only managed to do a basic cleanup so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3203rs.jpg (70.3 KB, 189 views)
Old 11-10-2016, 02:27 AM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3202rs.jpg (83.1 KB, 187 views)
Old 11-10-2016, 02:35 AM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3132rs.jpg (55.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3161rs.jpg (50.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3155rs.jpg (40.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3127rs.jpg (51.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-10-2016, 03:36 PM
Resident Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe1013 View Post
of the Utah Highway Patrol.

With all of this said, as you digest this information, I will leave you with this…there is another!
Standing by with great anticipation.

'89 FHP Unit # 435 (Deceased)
'89 FHP Unit # 1526 Troop H (Madison)SOLD 12/3/13
'89 SCHP Marked Unit # 2-12-80 SOLD 6/21/15
'88 SCHP Unmarked Unit # 2-12-23 SOLD 9/3/12
'90 MSHP Marked Unit # P-162 Plate # 642-HP SOLD 12/17/11
'88 MSHP Marked Unit # P-162 Plate # 642
Old 11-10-2016, 04:30 PM

Congrats, Greg! What a find!
Old 11-10-2016, 09:55 PM

Excellent job to all involved. Very nice!

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 11-11-2016, 10:04 AM

Thanks, guys. I am truly honored to own this car and to be able to share in the compilation of the Wyoming Highway Patrol Mustang SSP program. I will try to get up the EVOC photos either tonight or over the weekend. I've been working for quite some time to put this all together and it looks like I'm going to have to start a website for the car to get the look I want.

I am enjoying the car and rotating it in and out of daily driver status for now. If anyone has some tailpipes, please let me know. I'd rather have the plain non-logo original look to the car. Either 2.25" or 2.5" - no 3" pipes.