Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:19 PM

Great progress, Steve. Please get a picture of 0327 and 0204 when you can.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:02 PM

Thanks for that write up and information Steve. There's more and more of these cars turning up and the owners can use it. 👍🏻
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS B4C, Unit # 360 (Colorado State Patrol) **SOLD BACK TO CSP**
1996 Bronco XL 5.8L (California Highway Patrol)
Old 03-25-2017, 12:13 PM

Default Wiring Harnesses

Eric, previous owner of 0204, was kind enough to email a scan of a vintage wiring diagram from 1984. Using it as a guide not only for connections but also wire colors and sizes, I am putting together a set of harnesses. It doesn't seem difficult; but there are a couple of things on the drawing (attached below) that I don't know what to do with:

1. A Red wire going from the 1.5A fuse of the RC fuses to something labeled "M. Box". I haven't figured out what the M. Box is. "RC" probably means Radio Console or similar, because other fuses from that block supply power to the scanner and the Micor.

2. A yellow wire going from the 10A fuse on the B+ fuse block to the "Repeater". I think this would run all the way to the trunk to power a unit located in the trunk. I think that is the same repeater that is also connected to the small whip antenna mounted on the center rear portion of the roof. Back in the day I always thought that small antenna on the roof was for the Regency scanner. I wish I had paid more attention to details then, took photos, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mustang Schematic 1.jpg (93.1 KB, 61 views)
Old 03-25-2017, 12:21 PM

Default One More Thing...

Shotgun Release Switches

The shotgun lock release switches. The diagram shows 3 methods of activating the shotgun rack release. My memory of this is cloudy because of all the many other patrol cars I have driven over the years but I think I remember two switches and a key. The switches were one under the dash (pushbutton) and possibly one on the CC1. Both active only when the ignition key is on. Then a small key on the ignition key ring that would open the shotgun lock. Wish I remembered better.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chp1982 View Post
Great progress, Steve. Please get a picture of 0327 and 0204 when you can.
Here's a pic of 0327 (foreground) and 0204 (background) side by side in my shop. I keep the hoods open to discourage mice from setting up shop there. I also keep a baited trap on the floor inside each vehicle in case they get inside. I've taken one mouse out of each to date.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0327 and 0204.jpg (54.9 KB, 55 views)
Old 03-25-2017, 09:28 PM

Thanks, Steve! The fleet is looking great. Regarding rodents, I bought the following and have been very pleased.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00J1...s=rat+repeller
Old 03-26-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Shotgun Release Switches

The shotgun lock release switches. The diagram shows 3 methods of activating the shotgun rack release. My memory of this is cloudy because of all the many other patrol cars I have driven over the years but I think I remember two switches and a key. The switches were one under the dash (pushbutton) and possibly one on the CC1. Both active only when the ignition key is on. Then a small key on the ignition key ring that would open the shotgun lock. Wish I remembered better.
Steve, my car has only two releases and no key on the lock. The first is a foot switch (generic horn button) up on the drivers footwell and the second is a momentary switch mounted under the dash below the right glovebox door hinge.

Here's a shot of the underdash switch in my car. I made up a reproduction bracket and used as close as i could come to the original style switch.

1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 03-26-2017, 06:40 PM

Thanks, Michael, that's very helpful. I think I was confusing the shotgun release buttons and the key with later Crown Vics I've driven that had a momentary rocker switch on the lights control boxes to release the shotgun. They also had a key to unlock it.

I'm going to check 0327 to see if anything is still left. But with your info, it shouldn't be too difficult to recreate them.

I see your CHP fuse block is shown. Is that the original location? I thought I saw something somewhere mentioning they were under the hood, but I don't see any good place to put them.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Thanks, Michael, that's very helpful. I think I was confusing the shotgun release buttons and the key with later Crown Vics I've driven that had a momentary rocker switch on the lights control boxes to release the shotgun. They also had a key to unlock it.

I'm going to check 0327 to see if anything is still left. But with your info, it shouldn't be too difficult to recreate them.

I see your CHP fuse block is shown. Is that the original location? I thought I saw something somewhere mentioning they were under the hood, but I don't see any good place to put them.
The CHP fuse blocks were mounted under the dash near the steering column in the Mustangs.

1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 03-27-2017, 05:08 PM

Today I spent a few hours revealing 0327's spotlight and antenna ball mounting holes. For the spotlights I used a cylindrical sanding tool with a Dremel and sanded the paint away carefully to show the Bondo spots. Once they were visible I used an Xacto knife to carve away the bondo (first photo). I wanted to be very careful not to enlarge the mounting screw holes.

Removing about a quarter inch of Bondo inside the trunk where the antenna mount is was much more work. I had to be careful because there was Bondo on both sides of the metal. I didn't want to knock any of the outside Bondo off or damage the metal shape and create more body work. Carefully chipping away as much Bondo on the inside as I could with a putty knife then grinding the rest away, I could see where the three bolt holes and the center hole were from the trunk side. I then drilled the bolt holes and the center hole, using the Dremel tool once again to remove the rest of the Bondo to the original-sized center hole. (second and third photos)

The ball mount fits perfectly. It was a good day for 0327. A little at a time, just keep moving forward...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (44.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (41.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (18.5 KB, 18 views)