Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:53 PM

Default SSP Rarity/Values

I hope this is the right section for this. I'm fairly new to SSPs and was wondering what makes one SSP more rare than another, if any. I have been into SVOs for years and know that certain years, colors, and options make all the difference from an ordinary car to a rare car. I'm looking at buying another car by this spring and was wondering if a marked or unmarked is worth more money, high mileage or low mileage, Postal or Law Enforcement, never in service or..... you get the picture. I now have a 42000 mile unmarked Santa Clara unit that I bought because of the fairly low mileage and excellent condition ( a good start to my collection ). Seeing as it costs so much to restore these cars to original in service condition, I thought it would be nice to restore a rare SSP. Is one color more rare than another or one state than another? Any input appreciated.

Gary
2008 P71
Old 11-20-2006, 10:45 PM
Admin

Gary,

I think it's personal preference. I bought the cars that I have because I've always liked them. The only one I can't say that about is my '83 Colorado car, which I bought because it was an early SSP and you just don't see many early cars around anymore.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 11-21-2006, 12:03 AM

From what I have been noticing, values do not seem to hold the usual trend that newer cars would be valued more. SSP's, having been produced for 11 years and on the same basic platform, seem to be valued the same, considering equal condition and taking model year out of the equation. Like Mike had stated, it's your preference as to model and usage. I have been searching for a rare ( 1 of 34 ) Louisiana SSP. Rarity does not add value here, because little is known about them and an accurate restoration is extremely difficult. If you have no preference of where the car comes from, I would pick an unusual four-eyed car from a popular state ( FHP, CHP, Texas DPS ), since value is controlled by demand
Old 11-21-2006, 08:54 AM

It is really based on what is available and what you want to pay. I have at one point had 4 Texas DPS SSP and currently have 3 one is for sale and will be ready to go here in a few weeks. But I also have an 85 CHP SSP that I bought from Mike (Imevil1) and I sold my close to being restored 87 DPS to a fellow out of Georgia for what Mike was asking for the 85. The Texas car had a harder life and was at one point left for DEAD in a field and then brought back to life by another SSP owner. He was having difficulty with getting it running and I bought it off of him with a lot of spares. I installed all the spare items kept the in service items for MY other restoration (under 100K) and sold it off with just needing a paint job. I did just have the hood and trunk lid painted the week before it was loaded up and shipped off to the new owner.

I would say a car that has some work to be done to it expect in the 4000.00 range. The cars with more work and having to find interior pieces or needing major work engine, transmission, body repair or just a complete rebuild because of being RACED OUT you will get those a little cheaper 1500-3500 range. But then again it is supply and demand. If you can find one that the person has no idea what they have and are just ready to get rid of it you might get a SMOKIN DEAL.

Check out M7-400 and see all the work I have had to do to this point.

Matt
Old 11-21-2006, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the input and opinions guys. I'm in no hurry but will start looking for a project car. LMK if you know of any rust free SSPs out there.
Thanks
Gary
2008 P71