Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustang Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Special Service Mustang Tech Any and all technical questions for SSP cars.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:33 PM

Default 1984 CHP batches

In 1984, the CHP reportedly ordered 250 SSP Mustangs. It was thought that these cars ordered under DSO #72-0086 were divided into two VIN batches, which is unusual for Ford as cars within a specific 6-digit DSO number were typically batched together.

The first batch of confirmed 1984 CHP Mustangs contained 136 consecutive VINs, and the second batch had 125 VINs. Some of the last VINs in the first batch are not confirmed CHP cars, so we figured we had all 250 in those two batches. Well, not too long ago a 1984 CHP car popped up whose VIN was from a different batch of 16 cars with a different DSO number -

EF208235

So we used our access to Marti Reports to determine that the first and last cars on that batch are also from the same DSO number.

EF208224
EF208239

That makes it 99.9% certain that all 16 cars are also CHP cars. I guess we need to take a closer look at the unconfirmed cars in the first two batches. Once that is done, we can assert whether or not the CHP truly order 250 cars in 1984.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:02 PM

Default Let's take a look at those PCSD cars!

Allow me to give another shout out to Kevin Marti. With his reports we are able to confirm the remaining 1988 SSP Mustangs from Pierce County Sheriff's Department. They ordered different color cars this year:

Cabernet Red . . .11 units
Oxford White . . . 5 units
Light Grey . . . . 1 unit
Med Shadow Blue. . 1 unit
--------------------------------
. . . . . . . . . 18 units total

Take a look at the 1988 VIN Page and scroll down to JF256164. Although I no longer own a PCSD car, I am glad to have been able to confirm the entire 1988 batch.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 04-19-2020, 06:24 PM

Descriptions of the Saleens look accurate.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:16 PM

Thanks for keeping up on the vin project and keeping it active.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcompson View Post
Thanks for keeping up on the vin project and keeping it active.
Absolutely!

Here's an interesting one that popped up on Ebay over 10 years ago. It was an SSP used by the Fire Department in Lake Worth, Florida. We had a photo of the VIN label, but nothing to confirm the SSP option until we received the Marti Report -

1988 Lake Worth Fire Department

I'm not sure of the status of this car after all these years, but at least it lives on in our Project.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 04-23-2020, 02:25 PM

Here's an SSP that I have had in a "VeryPending" folder. It is a 1988 Brooksville, Florida SSP -

1988 Brooksville SSP (unconfirmed)

The car pictured in the link does not have any agency-specific documentation tying that VIN to this car, but it was ID'd at some point as the VIN for this car. So the listing is marked as "unconfirmed", but there is no question that this VIN came factory equipped with the SSP option.

Below is a photo of a relatively new Charger from Brooksville PD. The graphics have not changed much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brooksville_pd.jpg (68.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-24-2020, 11:41 AM

Here's an instance of there being one DSO order number with cars sold to multiple agencies. We had already confirmed an SSP from DSO #72-0491 that was allegedly sold to Hermosa Beach Police Dept in California -

1992 Hermosa Beach PD (unconfirmed agency usage)

There were two other cars whose VINs were close in number to this car which were sold on ebay in the mid-2000s. In those ebay ads, the respective sellers listed the agency/city that originally purchased these cars. By ordering Marti Reports, we are able to confirm that they were all ordered under the same DSO number.

1992 East Bay Police Dept (unconfirmed agency usage)

-------------------------

1992 City of Chico (unconfirmed agency usage)

There are other VINs in between these cars, so who knows which agency(s) may have purchased those cars originally? Pretty cool!
Old 04-24-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwyman View Post
Update on 1FABP40E8KF289898

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...info289898.htm

I have confirmation from Hall County Sheriff's Office in Georgia that this car did serve with the department. They sent me these pictures. They also confirmed the other 2 believed to be in-service with Hall County. This one is the dark blue, the others were dark grey and white.
I have just received a call from Florence County (South Carolina) Sheriff's Office, their fleet manager confirmed this car and it's ID number as one of their's. Based on the title information from SCDOT and this confirmation, I am ready to say this car was not Hall County and was in fact Florence County. He started there in 1989, and remembers this car, it was a NARC car and even remember the deputy it was assigned.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwyman View Post
I have just received a call from Florence County (South Carolina) Sheriff's Office, their fleet manager confirmed this car and it's ID number as one of their's. Based on the title information from SCDOT and this confirmation, I am ready to say this car was not Hall County and was in fact Florence County. He started there in 1989, and remembers this car, it was a NARC car and even remember the deputy it was assigned.
That's great to hear. Are they willing/able to send you anything to document the car? I will gladly update your car's page accordingly.

Old 04-24-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
That's great to hear. Are they willing/able to send you anything to document the car? I will gladly update your car's page accordingly.
Yes, I should have documentation on their letterhead to this fact. As soon as I have it, I'll post it! Thank you!