Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:27 AM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

Default Acquiring a 1990 CHP

My dad is in the process of getting another CHP Mustang
This one is a fairly original '90 CHP unit #9264. It is the payment for a paint job on a Camaro. We will get the car once the Camaro is done.

The car has 157k miles. Only mods on the car is a stereo and a MSD rotor cap and wires. The interior is worn, but original. Repaint is trash. Typical of the repaints CHP had One Day put on the cars for resale.
Not much to say about the car other than it is a true CHP and is fairly untouched (modification wise).

The car will get repainted to black body, white top and door jams. Interior will be restored. Spot light put back on and possibly put gun rack back in. This will be a driver SSP I actually got to drive the car a short distance today It was fun, and I didn't stall it

Now for some pics.

Feel free to add the car to the VIN Project Bill!

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Old 02-06-2012, 02:00 AM

Wow. The luck you guys have with finding these! I'm jealous!

Looks like a good start.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:07 PM

Good deal, that's a great score for sure.

I'm sooooooooooo glad #3035 was never molested with one of those quicke repaints...yeeech, what a mess they made of the cars!
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 02-06-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac88chp View Post
Good deal, that's a great score for sure.

I'm sooooooooooo glad #3035 was never molested with one of those quicke repaints...yeeech, what a mess they made of the cars!
Strange that they would even bother to paint the inside of the trunk lid and jambs. I'm lucky in that all they did to the MN SSPs was remove the 1 door decal, the equipment inside the car, the SHO-ME NO-SHO under bumper lights, and the equipment in the trunk. They left the wig wag modules (front and rear), the antenna splitter, the speaker in the passenger side front fender, and most of the equipment wiring (including coax to the trunk).

1979 2.3 Turbo Pace Car
1989 5.0 LX Convertible
1993 5.0 LX SSP (Nevada Highway Patrol)
2018 2.7 F-150 XLT 4X4 Supercrew
Old 02-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXNODRAMANOTCH View Post
Strange that they would even bother to paint the inside of the trunk lid and jambs. I'm lucky in that all they did to the MN SSPs was remove the 1 door decal, the equipment inside the car, the SHO-ME NO-SHO under bumper lights, and the equipment in the trunk. They left the wig wag modules (front and rear), the antenna splitter, the speaker in the passenger side front fender, and most of the equipment wiring (including coax to the trunk).
No, painted jams and everything isn't strange. CHP dd not want black and shred running around CA. It's illegal. Every car that the CHP had painted had everythng painted. They could also get more money for the cars that way. Quite a few cars were able to leave with just the doors spray painted (like Michael's 88).
Neat how some agencies left equipment in cars Usually, when my dad buys a wrecked CHP car, they leave some equipment pieces. My dads totaled 92 CHP mustang has most all of it's wireing in it and some equipment.

Thanks for the replies guys

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Old 02-07-2012, 08:20 AM

Congratulations on the new acquisition.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 02-07-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Kid View Post
Feel free to add the car to the VIN Project Bill!
Sam, thanks for posting the pictures. That looks like a super-solid car, underneath all of the paint. I added it to our VIN Project, too.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:00 PM

That's a solid-lookin' SSP!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:58 PM

Congrats on the new car. That's a great condition to find a SSP in. That's pretty much how my NHP is sitting(minus the MSD, speakers, etc). Great platform for a nice driver. Enjoy.

I have found another Mustang coupe sitting in a driveway very close to where I work in Oakland. I haven't had the correct opportunity to see if it is a SSP......yet. The car I found is black, very near the condition of this one you guys are getting, and it is still sitting on 10 holes. When I drive by I'd say odds are very high I might have found another SSP. I'll keep you updated. If it is a SSP my wife is going to shoot me.

I love my NHP SSP
Old 02-08-2012, 12:15 AM

Default The 1990 CHP StangThe 1990 CHP Pony

Sam,

I purchased that car back in 1997 from Motor Transport and brought it up here to Oregon. I think I paid $3250.00 on a bid over the phone to CHP Motor Transport in Sacto. if I remember right.
I was the first owner after CHP to own that car.
I drove down the next day and picked it up then drove it home.
Same colors as when I purchased it. Gross HA

I wasn't into restoring them like I am now. Wish I was. I would have grabbed a lot of the original equipment while I was there.
It was fun to drive ! It had AC issues. I never bothered fixing that.
After I sold it, I used to see it driving around Medford all of the time.

I talked to your Dad about that car a few months ago. I tried to run that guy down in GP in that car back in April-May last year when I started looking for another SSP to retore back to a patrol car.
I got blocked by a lard ass in a mini van and a red light. I lost him. Or I'd own that car again ! You are lucky !

Not much else I can tell you about the car except that it drove and ran really good. I remember Motor Transport telling me that it wasn't used on patrol like most of the other mustangs were. So it didn't have the hard miles on it.
Seems they told me it was used at the scales most it's life.

Let me know when your Dad acquires it. I'd like to come look at it a little closer again. Maybe I'll dive in under your Dad and give the guy cash for it HA !!!! kidding

By the way, I'll be passing through GP this weekend, you guys going to be around the shop ? I can drop off that sign your Dad wanted me to do for him.
Let me know.
Later
John