Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustang Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Special Service Mustang Tech Any and all technical questions for SSP cars.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:24 PM

Default Sound Insulation for SSPs

I've got the interior out of 0327 and I have been driving it to put some miles on before I take it in for a tune-up and smog check. Road noise, vibration, rattling, etc. got me thinking about the possibility of adding insulating product such as Dynamat, Fat Mat, or any of a dozen other brands and types to 0327 before I put the interior back. I would put it on the floor, across the metal struts behind the back seat, and on the inside of the doors. Probably not on the ceiling because a lot of users report finding that the adhesive fails from heat on the roof and the insulation separates.

Has anyone had any experience doing this, either with SSPs or any other vehicle? I have spent a few hours online looking at various videos, websites and as is so typical, there are conflicting opinions on what material is the best, how to apply it, etc. One user says Dynamat is the greatest thing since sliced bread, someone else says it's a waste of money and you can get similar results using much less expensive materials. What did/would you do?
Old 05-07-2017, 01:41 PM

Is it worth the labor and cost of doing this?
Old 05-07-2017, 05:12 PM
Bobby Edwards

Although I've not done this to one of my SSP's I did recently do my 68 fastback... It was a world of difference... like a different car... I say go for it

Ps I went with dynamat

1983 GSP#3083 Capt. C. Stallings #99 Post 41

1988 GSP#8292 Trpr R. Wilcox #799 Post 27; ACE wrecked in service with 24k miles; most documented & lowest mileage GSP

1990 GSP#0196 Trpr P. Kirkpatrick #756 Post 29

1992 GSP#2221 Trpr M. Prince #895 Post 9; “1 of 6” LoJack GSP Mustangs
Old 05-07-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapracing View Post
Although I've not done this to one of my SSP's I did recently do my 68 fastback... It was a world of difference... like a different car... I say go for it

Ps I went with dynamat
I haven't, but the thought has crossed my mind and would probably do if had the interior out of one. Think I'm with Bobby on this one.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 05-07-2017, 07:46 PM

Steve, I recently gutted a 2001 Cherokee and spent 400.00 to dynamat the entire interior including the doors, roof and hatch. Crazy expensive but made a difference in both noise and floor temps.

I also am in the process of doing a frame off restoration on a Jeep Comanche truck. My painter gave me a similar product sold by Home Depot, Lowes, etc. that is essential the EXACT product but a slight bit thinner. I used it instead and put two layers in. The cost was miniscule compared to the inflated prices of Dynamat.

Yes do it.
No don't use the expensive Dynamat product.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 05-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Bobby Edwards

Stay away from some of the others though... some have a horrible asphalt smell that gets worse in heat... dynamat is nothing but butyl with aluminum covering ( for the record butyl is what holds the glass in these Mustangs)... I search them all and decided to go with dynamat myself...

Do some research...

http://stereochamp.com/fatmat-vs-dyn...peel-and-seal/

1988 GSP#8292 Trpr R. Wilcox #799 Post 27; ACE wrecked in service with 24k miles; most documented & lowest mileage GSP

Old 05-07-2017, 08:46 PM

I have zero asphalt smell. Dynamat would love for you to think you will die if you use anything else. It just isn't the case. Dynamat is wayyyyyyy over rated and insanely overpriced. The stereo guys that are reps for them have no problem touting how great it is because they are selling the product and making money off you when you buy it. I bought my Dynamat off an eBay seller but it was still overpriced. When I was looking for something on the truck I did a bunch of research and found that a whole bunch of people use the less expensive stuff and like the results. My paint guy here in Ohio has been building high end expensive hot rods for 20 years and the stuff he gave me to try is all he uses. It is thinner than Dynamat but also has the foil reflective covering so I double layer everything. I also put new ACC (yuck) carpet in the Comanche and in addition to the sound deadener / heat reflective shield I used a very thin layer of a closed cell foam to help make the carpet fit better and also absorb some more noise. It turned out very well. I have a partial roll left in the barn, I will get you the name of the product tomorrow and send it to you.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 05-07-2017, 09:52 PM
Bobby Edwards

I did say some ( meaning not all) have the asphalt smell. Just saying with some of these guys in hotter climates than say Ohio or even GA it would be an issue. Just putting this out there so they can do there own research and to be sure they've made the best choices for them. Being my own bodyman I personally did not wanna chance having to take up something that would be annoying to me and a PITA to get up. I'll be doing my 67 fastback soon and will stick with the dynamat for certain...To each there own but I choose to spend a few extra bucks to be on the safe side...

But with that being said I'm sure they're others out there cheaper with similar results

Old 05-08-2017, 11:03 AM

Thanks everyone for the information and opinions. Jim did you use Peel & Seal? I have heard that is sold at HD and Lowes.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:11 AM

Here's that closed cell foil backed insulation material you can get at the hardware store that I used to replace a ruined section of factory insulation on my roof. I had to glue it up there myself but twelve years later still having no problems with this thrifty and effective solution.

1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/