Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Welcome!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Welcome! New Member/Visitor area. Feel free to post up any questions you have about the site or the forums.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Newbie from socal here with an 86 chips ssp

Hello all!!!! I've been DYING to have a reason to sign up for an ssp board, and now I have one. A little history first. 3 years back, give or take, I found an 88 5.0 coupe for sale wrecked....$425 later it was at my place for a parts car. it was slammed pretty hard in the nose.

well, it didn't take long to unearth the fact that it was an x chp car. I got all excited and fell in love with the car. Sadly I would never have the money to fix the damage. Well, rather than send it to the junkyard, I let it sit in my garage a good 6 months or more trying to find an owner for the shell. I finally did, and a guy from maybe missouri drove about 1800 miles one way just to pick up the shell and what was left (all the good body parts, motor etc) He had 10 other ssp cars, and told me as long as it didn't fall apart on the frame machine from rust, he could fix it. Well, I never talked to him again (maybe he's a member here?) but hopefully it's been fixed by now.

Anyhow, since then, I got a crush on ssp cars, and have wanted one BAD.

fast forward to this week. I get an email from my brother pointing to a website pointing to a craigslist ad that had an 86 chp ssp coupe for $1200!!!!! No way it was there still, but I emailed him. Found out, he was filtering emails, and picked me for the right guy, as I knew the talk, and promised preservation and a good home.

I drove to LA, and what I found blew me away. For $1200 it was a perfect running notch. the original motor blew, but it had a low mile 93 5.0 in it. it runs and drives perfect. New hd radiator, water pump, gas pump, alum driveshaft, tires, etc etc. turn key car, never been wrecked.

He gave me $20 back for gas, and $1180 later I was on my way home with a foureyed ssp. I couldn't be more thrilled.

Sadly, i'm still restoring/modifying my 86 mustang convertible, and 72 maverick, and my bro is finishing his 86 ttop mustang, so I don't have the space to go all out on this just yet. In the mean time, my father will be taking care of it, and driving it once or twice a week. While he does that, I'll be able to junkyard hunt, and find all the original tan pieces, whatever the car needs.

Long term goal is to try and restore it back to factory ssp specs as closely as I can, right down to the paint.

Front shot

rear

Here is the bondo spot in the dr side rear quarter where the police antenna was mounted

Old 10-16-2007, 12:45 PM

the engine...sorry about the pics, it was hard to shoot pics in the night

http://thompsontransmission.com/pict...ssp/engine.jpg

the buck tag...it says chips on it, and how to paint it, and some other info

http://thompsontransmission.com/pict...buck%20tag.jpg

Minus the seats, the interior really isn't in bad shape...note the spot light plugs in the a piller trim

certified 140 mph calibration baby!!!

You can see the relocated trunk pop for ssp cars

[http://thompsontransmission.com/pict...runk%20pop.jpg
Old 10-16-2007, 01:51 PM

Welcome. It looks like a very workable project to restore. They come a lot worse. Good luck with it.
http://public.fotki.com/predator2020/
Old 10-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Admin

Good save. Let us know if you need any help with the CHP equipment or if you have any CHP resto questions. We have a bunch of guys here with good information to share.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 10-16-2007, 07:03 PM

Welcome to the site.this is my before and after. I was where you are at one time..when
you start sanding the transformation will begin! ....Looks like a good find! and ask
questions...... this is the best site for accurate information.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
Good save. Let us know if you need any help with the CHP equipment or if you have any CHP resto questions. We have a bunch of guys here with good information to share.
Thanks!!! I'm on information overload trying to soak up all the info on the differences between them all, and the actual equipment (radio's, etc) that came in them, so I can start the ebay hunting.

My brother will be in on the resto, and it'll be a shared project, so this will lift the financial burden some.

How hardcore are people with restorations here vs some changes??

I want a true resto, but am not sure on the availability of parts vs cost. someone on fep mentioned maybe using 03+ 5 lug vic wheels and doing a 5 lug conversion...I saw a pair of those wheels today on a cop car that I swear looked just like the 4 lug 86 wheels.

Excuse all the newbie questions, I'm just trying to get a "feel" for what is so called taboo here, and what the general accepted practices are on these cars. Considering the production #'s of ANY year ssp, I don't want to do something, or make a change I'd regret later.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:34 PM
Admin

You should be able to find the wheels that you need pretty reasonably. The actual center caps are the really tough (and expensive find), but I know a member here who you might be able to convince to make you a set (and they are unbelievable quality-wise...the guy does good work).

As for the equipment...I found a source for the original radios and switchbox/siren controls, so the hard part there is taken care of. You might have to do some checking on the laws in CA, though, as far as having a car painted black and white. If it's a problem, and you really want a special paint, 4 eyed car, you can always try to find another agency car, ie. a FL or TX one. The four eyed cars have been popping up pretty regularly lately.

Have you checked out the CHP resto doc here?

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 10-16-2007, 07:56 PM
CHiPster

Welcome to the forum. I too have been restoring an '86 4 eye. Mine is a FHP car but as far as the vehicle and its parts, they are the same. The equipment is what changes. I have been able to get plenty of help from everyone and have made good friends also. As far as restoration a have stuck to all original. Some parts have been hard to find or MAKE but it can bee done.
Before:

Now:

Good luck and ask away!!
Old 10-23-2007, 09:11 PM

More pics,

buck tag

door tag with the unit # still visible under it

full size steel wheel spare

-1986 GT convertible-lots of mods
Old 10-23-2007, 09:11 PM

-1986 GT convertible-lots of mods