Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs The 4-eyed cars.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:19 PM

Time for an update?? After the under hood paintwork was complete and Mustangpro (Chris) let me assist him with dropping the engine in from Delmer the ’83 donor car, Jim took possession of the FHP once again. This past May, Chris dropped me a line and we even chatted about the FHP a bit. The universe was hard at work because a few days later I got a message from Jim gauging my interest in the car. Needless to say, Jim delivered it to my door a short time later. The last 3 months have been spent hatching a plan on how to get this old girl back on the road.

When I had the FHP 8 years ago, I was naïve as to the amount of work it really required. Well, it needs pretty much everything! Fortunately for me - but mainly the FHP, Chris expressed interest in working on it and as of yesterday, the car is with him.

Name the part and it’s got a replacement ready or en route. Whatever time Chris can find to complete work on the car, I’ll be thankful for. After the mechanicals are sorted, a trip to the body shop in is order for some magic to be worked on the paint. My wallet has provided the willpower to stick to purchases that are mechanical in nature but there’s a lengthy list of pretty parts necessary when the time comes.

Thanks Jim and thank you, Chris. This is an important SSP to the hobby and it’s time to bring it back in all its bubble gum light glory!

Arriving in May:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FHP11.jpg (88.6 KB, 137 views)
Old 08-06-2017, 10:24 PM

Greener pastures! Yesterday in NC:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FHP13.jpg (105.1 KB, 136 views)
Old 08-07-2017, 07:26 AM

Can't wait to see this one driving under its own power. Keep us posted on the progress.
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS B4C, Unit # 360 (Colorado State Patrol) **SOLD BACK TO CSP**
1996 Bronco XL 5.8L (California Highway Patrol)
Old 08-07-2017, 10:04 AM

It's great to see this car again! Especially in my shop with the NCSHP and Delmer (the donor 83 coupe). This SSP is a great solid base vehicle to begin with, should be a fun project. I'll start with replacing/refurbing the suspension and correct 7.5" rear end first. Then onto the fuel tank/lines, exhaust, clutch. Once she's off of jack stands we'll focus on the under hood and engine.

Right now it's parked in front of my shop under the carport out of the elements. Once I get my Saleen brakes wrapped up (which is for sale btw!) I'll bring in the FHP and begin the tear down. Stay tuned.......

79 Capri RS 5.0/AOD | 82 CHP SSP #0513 5.0/SROD | 82 Capri Tu-Tone 4.2/C5 | 83 NCSHP SSP 5.0/SROD
84 FHP SSP 5.0/T5 | 85 LTD LX 5.0/AOD | 86 LTD Brougham 3.8/C5 | 88 GT 5.0 Turbo/T5
Old 08-07-2017, 05:44 PM

I am hoping....that finally...this car can get back on the road. I wanted to do it.....twice.....but too many projects....not enough time....even less free cash......so when I thought about letting it go......again....I hoped Jon would jump on it.....again.... lol

I would say tag you're it but I my level of confidence this car is going to go somewhere now is high. I believe the universe was definitely hard at work on this one.

good luck fellas....

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 08-14-2017, 06:47 PM

Thumbs up

Great work keep it up!
Old 09-13-2017, 09:34 PM

The donor car that gave it's heart and quite a few other parts deserves a mention. Delmer, the name of the gentleman who posted the ad for the car, lived in Boone, NC. Based on the pictures and description I was provided, we decided to meet in Knoxville to complete the deal.

When Delmer arrived, I was very disappointed. The interior was full of mildew and it ran poorly. I convinced myself that it was original enough to fit the bill and I took it off his hands.

Being a coupe, I knew the car (now known as Delmer) was rare but it was rough enough where I didn't feel too guilty taking the drivetrain. Plus, Mustangpro and I worked out a deal where he would keep Delmer and bring him back to life after I took what I needed for the FHP.

What I think is cool is that Delmer was a black over Walnut coupe, like the FHP, and had a 5.0 with a 4spd trans - like the FHP. Other than the 4spd, Delmer was pretty loaded up and had one very bizarre option: French Vanilla seatbelts. This is printed on the buck tag. I want to get a Marti report for the car because I now realize how unusual the entire car is.

Delmer the man passed away recently but his old car will live again. Many parts, aside from the drivetrain will be making it into the FHP. In fact, the 7.5 slapper bar rear end, and a pile of suspension parts are making their way to the blaster then onto the FHP. Thanks to Chris, I also scored a super nice complete and original exhaust from manifolds to tailpipe. Even Mick hooked me up with a set of NOS rear springs. Progress!

Here's a picture of a sad looking (for now) Delmer hanging out with the FHP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg delmer1.jpeg (136.8 KB, 91 views)
Old 09-16-2017, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the updates, keep them coming on this highly interesting project!
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 10-29-2017, 10:12 PM

The FHP is looking great! Chris made quick work of the suspension over the past month. The pile of parts that will head to the blaster has grown as has the boxes of parts being delivered to his shop.

Here she is picked clean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FHP Suspension.jpg (61.9 KB, 56 views)
Old 10-29-2017, 10:24 PM

I'm delaying my mechanic and testing his patience but I couldn't bear the thought of all those shiny new parts being bolted to dirty underside. It felt good to get out to NC the other week and bond with the car.

I am glad to report, the car is completely rust free and, albeit filthy, in excellent shape underneath. A leaky pinion seal provided a nice protective layer. Now to remove said layer.

Getting closer:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Underside1.jpg (28.9 KB, 56 views)