Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:54 AM

Default When to Restore a Car??

The original plans for my 89 AZ DPS were to completely gut it and then restore it from the bottom up with NOS parts as I've done with my other cars. The problem is that the car still wears the original paint ( even still has the T-114 marker marking visible behind the rear plate from when it was put in service ). Even though it had numerous dents and scratches ( especially where the decals were scraped off on the doors and the light bar was mounted ), I compounded and waxed it last weekend and then spent 5 hours touching up the stone chips and scratches. The car actually looks really good from 10 ft. My question is, does the car look better original with battle scars or should I restore it to new condition. Opinions welcome!
2008 P71
Old 04-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Admin

My vote is that you gotta do what makes you happy. You have done some pretty kick-ass restorations (not just paint jobs) before, so you know what that involves, v/s just a detail and leaving it as-is.

I plan on going the full resto route with the Colorado car, which is still in original paint and doesn't look horrible. The bottom of that car is going to have to be done, though, so I'm going to try and take the whole thing back to the way it was.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 04-19-2009, 01:23 PM

i am in the same boat with my nebraska car. mostly original paint looks great even up close.
has stone chips on the hood that were touched up with the wrong color white. bugs the hell out of me.
decided if i keep it, i am going to just drive and enjoy it for now and repaint later.
everyone whose seen it tells me the chips are like battle scars and give it character!
Old 04-19-2009, 07:55 PM

I have another opinion I suppose. The cars I "restore" are basically for two purposes and that is to take to car shows, and keep for investment purposes 20 years from now. I personally do not like driving my SSP cars, (especially a fully marked unit) on the roadway. When I "restore" a marked car I put permanent decals on if that is the way it was equipped when in service. I try to make the car look as close to brand new as possible and I want the paint to be as good or better than when it was new. I always try to put the CORRECT equipment in my SSP cars as correctness is one of my most important goals. I guess my SSP cars are all enclosed trailer queens.......... I restore the cars to pay tribute to the job the cars performed in service, not to try and impress other people with my pretty lights.

There are many that will disagree with the driving aspect and will say that if you can't drive it why have it, but for me I have other "civilian" cars to drive and have fun with. So for me I paint them all.....and none are "drivers". Just my humble opinion and to each their own. You got to do what makes you happy !!

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 04-19-2009, 08:04 PM

I'm going to leave the car " as is " for this year and restore it next winter once I have all the parts. I just can't live with all the battle scars! Thanks for the opinions.

Gary
2008 P71
Old 04-19-2009, 08:52 PM

Seeing your previous work, I say restore it. Like previously mentioned, your attention to detail means a full restoration, not just cosmetic.

I can be on the fence with this, though. A car is only original paint once. White hides a lot of abuse, but it is up to you. For me, the ones to keep unrestored are the SSP that still retain their post-service auction markings, like the FHP's. It makes the car timeless. There can be many restored and the larger agencies will have many that basically look the same, but none more special than the just out of service look.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinTiger View Post
For me, the ones to keep unrestored are the SSP that still retain their post-service auction markings, like the FHP's. It makes the car timeless. There can be many restored and the larger agencies will have many that basically look the same, but none more special than the just out of service look.
That's one of the reasons why I haven't painted my '93 FHP. I wouldn't do a complete resto on it anyway, since it's so clean underneath, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do anything with the paint (yet).

The Colorado car is very much the same; you can still see the outlines where the door numbers were. One good wax job and those are gone. However, due to the surface rust forming on the underside of the car, I'm going to end up doing the whole thing. The funny part is that none of "new" rust was there prior to the car being in FL.

It really deserves the full treatment anyway, so I have no reason to complain.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 04-20-2009, 08:12 AM

Mike if the car is sitting on Black Top that is were the rust is coming from.

Tom
Old 04-20-2009, 10:51 AM

why would blacktop create rust?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:27 PM

No, Florida. My 70 Colorado car never had a lock of rust until I moved to Florida and then it blew up with it. The humidity eats metal alive.

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f315/horseplayauto/