Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:09 PM

Old 04-21-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
HAHA! Maybe you're right Andy. But at least we are getting the message out there.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:22 PM

Apparently the horse is not dead yet, so let me comment in no uncertain terms -

As SSP enthusiasts, EACH OF US has a responsibility to ensure that our actions are properly perceived by the public. These old police cars are not expensive toys that can be used without regard to local laws or common sense. If we see something in person or published online that is questionable, then ALL OF US should be willing to discuss the events in question. There is nothing wrong with debating topics important to our hobby, as long as the comments are respectful and are made within the parameters of the forum rules.

This isn't a matter of anyone in particular setting themself up as an enforcer of SSP etiquette. EVERYONE needs to be proactive, or situations will occur that lead States one by one to enact legislation that prohibits ANY marked/lighted former emergency vehicle from being registered. It's already happened guys, so unless you want these SSP's to become strictly trailer queens then you need to be vocal. It is the responsibility of every SSP owner to police our hobby!

Also, it goes without saying that positive examples of using our SSP's should also be recognized. Nice job at the track, Aaron! That's a very decent ET for a stock 5.0L, and I'm sure the crowd enjoyed the lights and siren.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 06-27-2011, 05:30 PM

If someone criticized me about my conduct at a show and I disagreed with it, I would state my reason for thinking so as we are all entitled to our opinions. The raging, temper tantrum, lunacy going on in that feeding frenzy is just another indicator that they know they screwed up. All the banter is just an effort to rationalize, make excuses, and remove the focus from the issue.

Changing the subject, talking about "legal ownership", the lawyerisms, "quality" cars, and all the testosterone filled rhetoric isn't going to succeed in taking the focus off the issue that is addressed in the you tube video I posted. I am not going to let the focus of CONDUCT IN PUBLIC be overshadowed by whether or not I legally owned a car, or who led what parade 6 years ago. That is the purpose of this post, to restate the issue at hand, that I think is damaging to our hobby.

When a person watches the video, you can formulate your own opinion about whether you think it promotes our hobby in a positive or negative way. It is just that simple. Public conduct is the issue here. You either understand the importance of it or you don't. You either agree with me or you don't, that's your choice.

PS... Aaron.....I have ZERO issues with your conduct with your car on a racetrack. Be careful though. That is a pretty rare car and I know very well how Gregg Henderson feels after crashing his. I got a bunch of the parts off his 89 FHP car...

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 06-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Admin

Bottom line...the few that don't get it, aren't ever going to. The only ones doing any "enforcing" will be the local LEOs that I will not hesitate to call if I see inappropriate and illegal activity whether at a show, host hotel, or points in between. Not only will I call, but I'll request contact. I would encourage anyone else who sees this type of activity to do the same. Then, those who think they know the difference between semi-public and private property, who think that they can do whatever they want to with their "toys", can attempt to explain themselves to a "real" police officer.

I think we've put this message out loud and clear, and any further discussion is pointless.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 06-28-2011, 11:06 AM

Thanks Guys, I didn’t figure anyone would have a problem with the car at the track but you never know.

Our local 1/8 mile track (Chandler, IN) had its first test and tune night for street cars this past Friday. I usually don’t go out to this track because I am not a huge fan of 1/8 mile racing; I grew up believing drag racing was done on a 1/4 mile strip. Sorry tangent, anyway a few of the local car clubs went out to grudge race their street cars and I decided to take the AL car out just to see how it did. Out of all of the Mustangs I have owned I never ran one of my SSP’s down the track because I always had some type of race car and there was not much point in running a SSP. As soon as I showed up and uncovered the car people flocked to it. When I turned my tech card into the tower they requested me to run the lights and sirens, I told them I had planned to. I ended up running against 2 of my friends and they knew I was going to run the lights and sirens so it was not unexpected to them (last thing I want to do is scare someone when they are going 70-100mph)

I had a really good night and this was the first time a lot of my friends have actually seen the car move with everything on. The car put down a 9.50@75mph with a 2.18 60ft. This is on a 100% stock car down to the air filter with a full tank of gas, spare tire, and all equipment in the car and running, this should be about mid 14’s in the 1/4 probably right around 100mph. I can see why these were feared back in 1980’s. That was pretty fast for the day. This by no means is a drag car and I understand the risks of racing. I have done it for many years, this just happened to be the perfect night to take the car out and not have to line up with 5 sec. dragsters to just get an idea of what this cars actual performance is.

A video from one of my buddies:
http://youtu.be/-kioEjqgZAE

1992 SSP Kansas Highway Patrol #264 Troop H
1991 SSP Georgia State Patrol Perm/Trunk #1195, Roof/Badge/Tag #813
Old 06-28-2011, 11:20 AM

Aaron, THANK YOU for posting this video up. As I said before, it is just as important to recognize the positive ways to promote our hobby as it to comment on the things not to do.

Speaking solely as a SSP enthusiast, I think your trip down the track with the lights and siren on promotes a positive image of our hobby. Who knows what interest you may have sparked for somebody watching? You may have made a lifetime memory for a youngster who will come into the hobby later in life. You may have caused an adult to reflect upon a time when he remembers seeing these cars patrolling the highways, and cause him to search for one now. These are GREAT things, and it's far different than being a look-at-me moment where it's more about the owner than honoring the heritage behind these old police cars.

I also ran my SSP down the track back in 2009, and you will likely receive the same comments I did regarding the risk involved. That's OK, cuz none of us want to see anything happen to that beautiful SSP of yours. Glad to see you are enjoying the fruits of your labor.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:21 AM

great video Aaron. I was invited to take mine down the track Saturday at Indy but I wasn't sure the old 84 was up for it... lol The car runs like a sewing machine but I am not sure how much she can take. Of course with those little skinny tires I could have probably made a little noise.

thanks for posting it up.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 06-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Admin

Very nice.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 06-28-2011, 12:19 PM

Fun time Aaron...looking forward to seeing the AL SSP in KC.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/