Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:18 AM

Default Operation PCSD: "Complete the Fleet" - Mission Accomplished

Found an EBay auction earlier this week for Pierce County Mustang #158. Subsequently, I went for it.

A few years back, Robert K. and I had a conversation over a few beers, and got to talking about the remaining PCSD Mustangs. Being I had CarFax handy, we started to run VIN #s for the PCSD run in 1988, and found that they had roughly 18 mustangs. It was the only year they ordered them.

What we found was that most of the cars, appeared to be wrecked, or had not been registered in 15 years - and likely were gone. In our search, we found that there appeared to be a total of 7 that were left. Out of that 7, we had accounted for 5: 1 in-service (#163), 2 that Robert has (#155 and 171), 1 with our friend Curtis (#156) and mine (#164).
That left 2 unaccounted for that were still active on registrations. #158 and 161.

We found #161 in Denver. By the time we found it, the car had been parted, and only the rolling uni-body frame was left. To my knowledge, it was sent to the wrecking yard once all the parts were sold off (not confirmed) - but this is what the seller wanted to do.

#158 was the only one left - and we've been searching for it for years. When it popped upon EBay - we both were shocked to see it. Like chasing a Unicorn.

I contacted the seller, and got some pics - and yes, it's ROUGH. But still drives, and aside from a lot of lovin' and TLC - was still intact and stock. The buyer and I worked out a price and I drove out to Yakima (320 miles)today and picked her up.

All photos are at:
http://public.fotki.com/djslickmix/pcsd-158
Car needs a lot of work - but the goal to "Complete the Fleet" is now done. We believe we have all remaining Pierce County Mustangs from 1988 that are left on the road accounted for. The goal will be to restore it in the next few years and bring her back to life.

Aside from needing massive paint work, a newly freshened interior, power steering pump, motor mounts, new tires, brakes, headlights, etc. - You know...the small stuff - it is intact. Motor runs strong and tranny is smooth - so that's a plus.

The guy I bought it from bought it from the auction owner, and have his # - hoping to track down some info in time. In fact, the auctioneer's license plate frame is still on the back of the car from when it was sold.

Some pics:

Old 08-28-2010, 01:19 AM

Old 08-28-2010, 01:43 PM

I really like those PCSD SSP's...im fact I think they're one of my favorites. Nice job tracking them down.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 09-01-2010, 01:15 PM

that is what i call dedication.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:30 AM

Some think it's crazy that we tracked these for so long. I think it's a rare shot at preserving a piece of our local history. Many thank to all along the way for encouragement and advice.

If I had the funding, storage and repair skills, I would have also brought home #161. But sometimes you have to let things go. Still feel guilty about it though. I never like seeing an SSP die.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:45 AM

Ryan, I meant to comment earlier. Your dedication to this aspect/jurisdiction of the SSP hobby should be commended.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:59 PM

Ryan, Great job !!
keep the info coming.

1992 PO.Oregon Police, Bimini Blue, Unit #85655,
Plate #SMY174 Unmarked, Served Central,North,
East Precinct until Aug 2000.
1988 Colorado State Patrol,Unit #246,DSO 76, Glenwood Springs CO.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Mustangoholic

Nice Find !!!!! Congratulations !

MCA Member