Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:18 PM

160 mile drive, wow! How was that? Looking forward to progress photos!
Old 08-08-2017, 10:38 PM

Unhappy

0327 performed well. Didn't overheat, lots of power. I noticed after about an hour that it seemed like running at highway speed and full temp it got some cobwebs out. That hesitation in accelerating I told you about went away. At 65 mph it was smooth, at 75 I started getting vibration in the drive train. Perhaps driveline needs balancing, wheels need balance? At 80 it was uncomfortable (the vibration) so I stayed at about 72-75 for most of the way. The route included some long and steep grades. 0327 went right along at 70 and never even slowed down; I didn't have to open the throttle on the hills to maintain speed. Other than balancing wheels and maybe the driveline I won't do anything about the vibration, because I won't be driving very often and don't need to exceed 70.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:06 PM

Glad to hear you made it fine and now the body shop fun begins! It is a GREAT idea for you to visit the shop OFTEN for two reasons:

First, it reminds the crew there to keep up progress on your car and it gives both you and them many opportunities to review and assess the details of the work being performed. This will help eliminate the possibility of what could be important decisions (large, medium and small) being made in your absence because nobody wanted to "bother" you or thought they could reach you. When it comes to getting an absolutely correct restoration, you will want to be "bothered" and the best way is to just present yourself as often as possible.

Second, photos of the car in disassembly, refinishing and reassembly is a VERY important part of the documentation for your car. Having these will ensure you have proof of what your car is and of what and how the restoration work was done. It will support the value of your car in the future. Take as many photos as possible and if you can't be there at important points ask the shop to take some photos for you.

You are at a disadvantage due to distance but try your best. I was lucky as I was able to get my body and paint done at a shop in the city where I was working at the time so I would randomly scoot over there during lunch breaks 2-3 times a week. I knew when they took their break so I would plan to arrive about in the middle of that time when the shop was empty and I had full access to shoot photos at will. After that, they would be coming back on to work and I could chat with them briefly and work out any details I noticed before they continued. I made sure they knew I was politely watching them and they took it well because I never became overbearing or excessively demanding. I was happy with the outcome and they told me they actually enjoyed working WITH me on a car we were both proud of at the end. Hopefully you can accomplish the same so keep posting progress pics and info!
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 08-09-2017, 07:43 PM

Thanks, Michael for the suggestions. The shop owner is a friend (25 yrs) so I can stop by anytime. I am in the area often so that won't be any problem and I will take lots of photos along the way.

I also want to see how they do some of the work, in particular, applying the paint. I told them it's gotta look good, that's more important than cost or time.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:37 PM

Default 0327 Body Shop Update

I visited 0327 in the shop today. The front end and fenders have been removed (first pic below). Now I know why they like to take things apart there; removing all that skin metal enables inspection and cleaning. Removing the front end revealed two builder tags attached to the front top of the radiator support (last photo). They had the exact colors used.
Some old damage was found to the lower corner (passenger's side) of the radiator support; likely someone hit a high curb or something that was low enough not to damage the front end or bumper but high enough to catch the radiator support. It pushed the radiator support in a few inches, causing the plastic front end to not fit perfectly. The last two photos are of the hydraulic straightener tool in position after having straightened out the damage, which will then be cleaned, welded and painted.
Tomorrow I am going back to help vacuum, brush, and blow out the 35 years of dirt, leaves, and debris that have accumulated in all the nooks and crannies. Then wash and clean everything, after which it will be sandblasted where rusty then painted. Lots of work, but I think it will be worth it in the end. All of the removed hardware goes into a tumbler; when it comes out it looks like new. Details, details. But I think it is going to be worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Front View.JPEG (192.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpeg Front9.JPEG (88.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpeg Straightening front end.JPEG (324.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpeg Hydraulic tool.JPEG (1.11 MB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 0327 August 29 2017 004.JPG (200.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-29-2017, 07:51 PM

Thumbs up

It will be well worth it, Steve. I'm so envious of the progress you're making. Great work and you get to join in on the fun, too!!
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS B4C, Unit # 360 (Colorado State Patrol) **SOLD BACK TO CSP**
1996 Bronco XL 5.8L (California Highway Patrol)
Old 08-30-2017, 05:52 PM

Looking good!
Old 09-01-2017, 05:34 AM

Default More 0327 Pics

Since I was still in town, I went back to the body shop yesterday and put in about 4 hours working on 0327. While the Maestro completed straightening, welding, grinding, and priming the repaired damage to the lower portion of the radiator mount (visible in first photo below, left lower corner), I removed most of all the body parts that can be removed: taillights, rear bumper cover, impact bar, sail panels, gas filler cover, wipers, cowl cover, cowl trim, and hood scoop. All that is left are the trunk lid, hood, and doors. All will be removed and stripped, straightened, primed and painted. It looks pretty unrecognizable with so much removed, at least from the front and back.
It's a small body shop, but they are really old school when it comes to attention to detail. All removed metal fasteners are tumbled and look new when done. Brackets, metal assemblies removed are sandblasted and treated, looking like new. I think 0327 will be ready for a museum when done.
0327 itself will be scrubbed clean, all rusted areas treated and primed, then painted and reassembled. Might even be ready to drive to the Ripon Emergency Vehicle show the first week of October.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (53.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (133.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (44.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpeg 004.JPEG (316.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 09-01-2017, 07:49 AM

I still recognize her! Stay on the the shop and you may have the quickest completed paint job in history.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:51 PM

Great progress!

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/