Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustang Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Special Service Mustang Tech Any and all technical questions for SSP cars.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:54 AM

Default Fuel tank coatings

How do you guys feel about fuel tank coatings? On my 70, I would have to change too many parts to switch to a non eec fuel tank(repop) and I took my current tank to get cleaned and there is some spots of surface rust on the inside. The guy at the place that cleaned it said I should live with the spots and not coat the interior because he thinks the coatings will not last more than a year or two. Any thoughts?

"You know, I think it was James Joyce who said that a genius makes no mistakes, that his errors are on purpose and they become the portholes of discovery, that's the kind of thing you say when you do something real stupid." Red Green
Old 06-12-2011, 08:50 AM
...Gathering Parts

Normally I've seen the repops going for less than $100.00 for full sized Fords when I was looking for them if you are talking about your Monterey.

Epoxy coatings can be slightly porous when it comes to fuel vapors or oil vapors. For what it's going to cost for the coating, it can detach from the inside of the tank and it's almost better to have a repop or live with the rust in the tank. If you run with actual gas in the tank, you should not have too much problem with additional rust building up unless you have free water in your tank.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:02 AM

The repop that I have considered is a Spectra F27F and they are usually about $200, ordered through Advanced when they have a good coupon, maybe a little less.

Not counting the EEC vent fittings, which I will be closing off since the plastic hose fittings on the vapor tower are plastic and cracked and I have been unable to find the vapor tower anywhere. According to the parts book the fuel tank filler seal for an EEC car is 1.657" ID and 2.63" OD with a non EEC car seal having an ID of 2.172" and an OD of 3.125", so the hole in the tank is much larger. I tried to find a fuel filler pipe and seal so that I could attempt to convert it over to the other style of tank, but I have been unable to find a set.

"You know, I think it was James Joyce who said that a genius makes no mistakes, that his errors are on purpose and they become the portholes of discovery, that's the kind of thing you say when you do something real stupid." Red Green
Old 06-12-2011, 11:20 AM
...Gathering Parts

Rock Auto is at $132.00 for that same tank. I'll have to go look at the Ford parts book I have to see what can be substituted for that tank.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:07 PM

I know the two different tanks are D0AZ9002B w/o EEC and D0AZ9002A w/EEC. I don't know how to check for what will swap. I think the standard tank is also meant to be vented.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:36 AM

Woo hoo, Mercury moved under its own power for the first time in at least a year!

I am having my crawl space sealed and a new access cut in through the garage, so I had to get the cars out for a couple of days. Put the Merc on the trailer to save some space and tucked the Mustang in behind.

Went to the local car show this morning but the fuel tank on the Merc is still giving me woes. I was hoping to cruise over in it, but we didn't get it running until this afternoon. The tank was hitting both tailpipes and the panhard bar was rubbing against the it, which seems bad. I am at my wits end with this stupid California tank. We performed a delicate operation, in which the tank was removed, laid on a flat surface, and sat on. Some of the bulging was removed and it was reinstalled where the lone issue is that the tank is so beat up that the drain plug it is rattling against the passenger exhaust, even with it shoved as far to the left as possible. I did put up with the rattle for a quick jaunt around the industrial park. Still needs to be tuned, but wow, what a treat. I ordered the non EEC Spectra tank from Amazon and I am going to try and scrounge a filler pipe and gasket for a non CA car and cap off the vent line to the front of the car.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 PM

Another shot of the boys outside.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:26 AM

Those make a nice pair.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 04-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

Such a nice Merc
Hopefully my dads Monterey will look nice once again in a few years. Sorry I never responded to your question about the push bar mounts. We've been busy and the car is still parked in the barn. There is stuff infront of it where I cant get underneath to look.
My dad had to move out of his shop, and we found CHP pictures of the Mercurys. Shows all the equipment locations inside. If I can find them again, I'll email some to you.

We'll most likely have to do what you had to do with your tank, so this thread is helpful

And for anyone wondering, my dad has a 70 CHP Merc as well.

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Old 04-25-2012, 04:03 PM

I think that is the first time I noticed the air cleaner decal, it isn't a regular 1970 Ford decal(which I already bought), it looks like a 67-68 decal.

Sam, any chance of a good shot of the engine, I'd like to see some of the hose routing for the air cleaner and emissions stuff.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:53 PM
NoDrama43
This message has been deleted by NoDrama43. Reason: new thread started