Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs The 4-eyed cars.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:31 AM

Default Big News! 1982 SSP Research

As many SSP enthusiasts know, doing research on these cars is a huge aspect of the hobby. Being able to track down the history of a specific vehicle can be extremely rewarding. So imagine my enthusiasm when I discovered a shocking revelation about all of the 1982 SSP Mustangs!

I have always wondered about the speculation surrounding the wording of the original SSP Mustangs. It's been reported that the original SSP's were called Severe Service Package cars, and in 1983 the name was changed to Special Service Package. We've all taken that as fact for a long time, and there hasn't been anything to prove or disprove the claim conclusively. The wording on the 1982 buck tags did not spell out the option. Even Ford's own advertising back then did not directly identify the 1982 CHP Mustangs as SSP's.

As most of us know, Kevin Marti at Marti Auto Works is selling Deluxe Marti Reports for any 1969 - 1986 Ford Mustang. These reports generated by Marti are available to anyone interested in obtaining a copy (a non-owner can buy one). Thankfully, we are starting to see copies of the Deluxe Marti Reports being published. Attached is a copy of a Deluxe Marti Report on Jim Young's 1982 SSP Mustang.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mart82chp.pdf (580.8 KB, 54 views)
Old 09-14-2011, 07:31 AM

As you can see in the previous Marti Report on Jim Young's 1982 SSP, the option is worded as Special Service Package, not Severe Service Package. This is getting interesting since it conflicts with the general opinion of many. However, it is not a smoking gun in my opinion because the "proof" is a report published by a 3rd party. I'm not taking anything away from the great folks at Marti, but it would be so much better if we could find some original Ford paperwork that supports what Marti stated in their report. If only...

Well, that information DOES exist! Marti also sells the Eminger Invoice for certain cars where the factory paperwork had been saved. The buyer must prove that he/she is the owner of that specific car in order to receive the original Ford document. In addition, many of the invoices are missing. Until now, no Eminger Invoices had been found on any 1982 SSP Mustangs.

With the help of FoxChassis from FEP, we have been compiling a list of VIN's where batches of 5.0L notchbacks are known. Larger DSO orders would be grouped together, and we have been asking owners of SSP's to send us information for our on-going VIN Research Project where we can document actual SSP's that fall within that VIN range.

In terms of the 1982's, we know the VIN range of 400 cars. Collectively, we all agreed that Kevin would have a better chance of success if we asked him to look within a broad range of numbers instead of a specific car. So I approached Kevin Marti with a proposal - Since I do not own a 1982 SSP, would it be possible for me to buy a PDF copy of an Eminger Invoice on a SSP contained within the range of 400 VIN's? Kevin agreed, and was able to find an Eminger Invoice on a 1982 SSP. Kevin still retains that original Eminger Invoice, but he sold me a picture copy of the two page Ford document, which I am VERY happy to share (with Kevin's permission) with all of you here:

Page 2 confirms with 100% certainty that the CHP in 1982 bought Special Service Package Mustangs, not Severe Service Package cars. Although this news won't restore peace to far off lands or solve the world's problems, it does re-write SSP history a bit.

And the research continues as well. We have recently been discussing the 1982 CHP hatchback Mustangs, to determine if they were Special Service Package cars or not. Through our research we have determined through the known VIN range and Deluxe Marti Report that there were likely only four hatchbacks used by the CHP (not five). The question comes as to whether or not these four cars were included in the 400 Mustangs bought by the CHP in 1982, or were they in addition to the 400 Mustangs? We hope to determine an answer to that question soon, knowing all too well that we may not be able to conclusively know for sure either way.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:41 AM
Admin

Great post, Bill, and thanks for all of your hard work on this. It doesn't get any more definitive than that.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 09-14-2011, 09:53 AM

Thumbs up

Way to go Bill! That's the way these things are done with verified, black and white documentation.

1993 FHP 813
1986 UHP SSP slicktop- Getting there little by little.
1993 Floyd Co Ga\Rome Ga pd SSP SOLD

E
ven grief recedes with time, but we must Never Forget. 9-11-01

Mustang Club of America member.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:36 AM
VIN guru

Fanatastic! Good Work. Also a big thanks to Marti Auto Works and Kevin Marti for allowing you to obtain an image of an Eminger Invoice and share it with us.

Thanks also for posting the Deluxe (Marti) Report for Jim Young's '82 CHP SSP. You'll notice that one and the "evaluation" hatchback were ordered through the same dealer.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:27 AM

Thumbs up

Being able to confirm whether or not your vehicle is actually equipped with the Special Service Package, which confirms your car as an actual SSP car will be very important down the road as the value of these cars rise. If you cannot provide this documentation to authenticate your car, or provide police agency documentation ( CHP assignment card, etc. ) it clouds the issue of authenticity.

Great work to everyone that contributed to this project. When we had the SSP work week at my place we discussed a game plan for our research. Hats off to Bill for taking off on a dead run to get it accomplished. Also a big thanks to Kevin Marti for helping us get it figured out. He has been fantastic to work with on every issue !!

Mike you used the word before I could get to it but I have to agree this information is very definitive, and will forever provide correct documentation for the next generation of owners of Mustangs equipped with the Special Service Package.

good stuff guys. Ya done good !!!!!!!!! Great day for the hobby !!!!

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 09-14-2011, 11:58 AM

Outstanding work guys, this type of effort moves the hobby forward tremendously!

As an aside, I ran the VIN on the invoice above through the CA BAR smog history database but came up empty handed.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 09-14-2011, 12:03 PM

Very interesting and thanks for adding clarity around it.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 09-14-2011, 12:49 PM

As always Bill
great work
Thank You!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:59 PM
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S

Awesome post Bill!! Thanks!!
1985 California Highway Patrol #8336 Napa Ca office.

1985 Nevada Highway Patrol #30. Federal Test Car. Reno Nv office.

California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/CHP8336/