Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustang Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Special Service Mustang Tech Any and all technical questions for SSP cars.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:19 AM

Unhappy Upper Plenum removal problem & Stickers question

Hello guys,

Been here a while, quietly lurking and absorbing knowledge as I slowly finish the final engine detail on my 93 Louisiana State Police SSP. It's all coming together as I have almost all of the engine/front end/suspension components off and restored ready for reassembly.

I've Googled this question and searched it here with no real results, so I figured I would just exhibit my ignorance and ASK anyway! No doubt someone here has done this already.

I am a fairly good mechanic on the outside of an engine and I've done complete frame offs restos of a couple of cars but I got a bolt/nut problem here that is driving me bananas. I finally had to quit and walk away from it to keep my cool.

The LAST nut/stud that retains the upper plenum to the lower intake, rear, pass side against the firewall. Got the nut off the stud, but there is a "U" shaped bracket stabilizer for the PCV/pollution crossover tube there, and to save me I can't get enough give or slack to get the thing out of the way. It 's blocking final removal of the upper plenum.

I've taken several 5.0's apart in the yards on CV's and GM's, but I just don't recall this being a problem. A Mustang thing?

So I ask, is there a special trick to this? It wouldn't seem so. Do I have to release the tube from it's other mounting points on the sides of the block? I've tried prying on the thing with a pry bar but I'm amazed at how solid it is.

Any guidance here would be appreciated.

About the stickers: I am trying my best to maintain/retain/document all the original factory markings and stickers on my car as it is fairly well unmolested. Some are fouled by the usual engine contaminants or exposure or age. I'd like to know how anyone else has attacked this part of a resto.

Try to save them and re-apply? Ignore them? Replicate them? Does anyone replicate these markings that anyone is aware of? Thanks again!!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:30 AM
...Gathering Parts

Well D,

Welcome aboard! The decals are available aftermarket from a few suppliers of Mustang parts (NPD and FMR for example).

Document as you would have done your others with photos and then try to replicate the rest. Most of the paint markings have been replaced with serialized part numbers on most components if that's what you are talking about. Others can join in on this as I'm new to this stuff too.

Looking forward to seeing your car done!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:25 PM

Welcome and while I can't help further on the questions I'm sure others here will. Are you the one who recently posted on their LSP SSP progress over on CCDC? If so that's a nice looking car.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 10-06-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93LSPssp View Post
Hello guys,

Been here a while, quietly lurking and absorbing knowledge as I slowly finish the final engine detail on my 93 Louisiana State Police SSP. It's all coming together as I have almost all of the engine/front end/suspension components off and restored ready for reassembly.

I've Googled this question and searched it here with no real results, so I figured I would just exhibit my ignorance and ASK anyway! No doubt someone here has done this already.

I am a fairly good mechanic on the outside of an engine and I've done complete frame offs restos of a couple of cars but I got a bolt/nut problem here that is driving me bananas. I finally had to quit and walk away from it to keep my cool.

The LAST nut/stud that retains the upper plenum to the lower intake, rear, pass side against the firewall. Got the nut off the stud, but there is a "U" shaped bracket stabilizer for the PCV/pollution crossover tube there, and to save me I can't get enough give or slack to get the thing out of the way. It's blocking final removal of the upper plenum.

So I ask, is there a special trick to this? It wouldn't seem so. Do I have to release the tube from it's other mounting points on the sides of the block? I've tried prying on the thing with a pry bar but I'm amazed at how solid it is.
!
There is another stud on the drivers side LOWER manifold that you have to loosen to be able to get the bracket out of the way.

1993 FHP 813
1986 UHP SSP slicktop- Getting there little by little.
1993 Floyd Co Ga\Rome Ga pd SSP SOLD

E
ven grief recedes with time, but we must Never Forget. 9-11-01

Mustang Club of America member.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:34 PM

Will you post pics of your car?

Cool to see another LSP.

Ted
Old 10-07-2011, 05:15 PM

1) Thanks! I'll look for that bolt.

2) Yep, that's me too over there on CCDC.

3) Hi Greg!

4) Sorry to be short, on my way out the door, but here is a post of the car as it appeared returning from the paint shop this past spring.

All the interior stuff has been restored & made ready and I have just about everything I need in the way of the police accessories. All exterior trim has been restored too.

Currently, the entire front suspension is out of it for restoration, as well as all the front engine drive accessories and their attendant brackets, hoses & hardware for same. I have ALL of the suspension stuff done, but will not be re-installing it until I finish my detail of the lower half (Wheel wells, underside of motor & Trans) of the car.

It's been a long hot summer and I have also been working on two other project cars simultaneously but this one is finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for the support and I will post newer and more extensive pics on Monday.

Have a good weekend guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Return from paint 012311 (3).JPG (100.0 KB, 134 views)
Old 10-07-2011, 06:58 PM

Can't wait to see the final results on this one!

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 10-11-2011, 04:59 PM

Do you have any idea what brand antenna goes in the center of the decklid?
Ted
Old 10-20-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texunter View Post
Do you have any idea what brand antenna goes in the center of the decklid?
Ted
No I don't as of yet. I have some of the antennas this car calls for, but not all. One of them is "U" shaped at the base and I have to figure that one out for sure.

Meantime, I know I've been absent since my last post (I DID get that pesky bracket removed) but I finally got the engine bay torn down so all that is left is the block and the one big wire harness that comes from the dashboard through the firewall. I've been busying myself refurbishing each separate component to almost new condition.

And I mean each and every nut, bolt, wire, wire harness, vacuum lines, hoses, EVERYTHING. I'll include one before & after pic so you can see and judge for yourself.

I have removed the front fascia too. To aid in resto of all the components hung on both sides of the rad spt. It also gave me a clear shot at my buck tags to get clean pics. So attached will be pics of my buck tags and some other kind of crude, big assy line tag made out of the top of a quart can lid.

The other two is a before and after of one of the a-arm & spindle assembly's so you can get a hint of how I spend my evenings and weekends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BUCK TAGS LF Rad Spt (1).jpg (50.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of Buck & hanger tags (7).JPG (22.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg F Susp BEFORE (3).jpg (66.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg F Susp RSTD.JPG (43.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 10-20-2011, 03:08 PM

Also, has anyone else ever removed a thermacter air pump which was perfectly free in movement and then have it freeze up on the shelf?

The one on my 78 LTD 460 PI did it but I assumed it was because it sat on a shelf (indoors) for almost ten years.

I removed this one to restore it barely 5-8 weeks ago and it has also frozen up.

Perplexing.

I mean, it sits on the car (Mustang) in the yard for almost seven years, going very long periods between starts of the engine and it never froze up under THOSE conditions. I take it, clean it and restore it & box it up on the shelf and it seems it is froze solid in less than two months. Go figure.

I suppose I will have to disassemble it now and free it up. That's what I had to do on the LTD.