Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
So what are you all implying?

I come in here as a new member and you guys jump down my throat for anything less than a full restoration (technically, you jumped down my throat before I was even a registered member). You convince me this is quite a rare pony, it will be worth tons of money, don't touch a thing, etc etc. Then you state I should think about selling it if I want a track car AND that there are members here who will buy it.

So instead of "hacking" this car apart, I decide to do the right thing and see if a buyer wants to take this off my hands. Do you honestly think I wouldn't ask top dollar for the car?

I didn't join this site to sell this car.
Alan,

What we were "implying" is that the car deserves a full restoration. It IS a rare car, but what I find funny is you haven't asked a single question about it.

We are here to promote the restoration of these cars, and we are very passionate about it (I'm sure you already figured that out).

We are not here to take advantage of each other, and I "honestly think" that turning a quick $500 is more than fair, given your situation. The people who will pay you "top dollar" for the car are the very people here who appreciate what the car is, and the car's potential. Now that they've seen what you paid for it, and your attitude about "top dollar", I think you'll have a difficult time getting that kind of $$ for it.

Please feel free to continue to do the right thing with the car and also to participate here. It's all about the cars. My .02.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 04-09-2007, 08:28 PM

If Alan honestly would like to preserve the car, I commend him for educating himself to the fact that the car is more than a typical Mustang. I dont support the price of $6000. $4000 is a perfectly fair price. Alan, take the 4K and find you a nice everyday Fox to have fun with. No harm done.
Choices:1. Take the 4k, buy a good car to have fun with
2. Restore the car, become a hero and triple the value in the future
3. Hack the car up,put 5k in suspension, devalue the car, will not
get your money back

Hell, 33 1/3 % winner. Sounds good to me.
1986 NHP
Old 04-09-2007, 08:56 PM
CHiPster

Allan,

I have owned several Mustangs and I spent approx. 12 years before I could afford to buy a SSP/FHP Mustang due to three kids and a lot of year in the Military (USMC). Also the wife, who is no longer . I was looking hard at this SSP to buy and I was going to bid $3,500 for it. Unfortunately for me, you beat me to the punch by offering before the auction was done. I finally found me a 1986 SSP/FHP for the same price.

My point is that there are people out there who have been wanting one of these four eyed SSP cars for years and if you turn this into anything else then original, you just took the opportunity away from someone else’s dream.

I ask you to do the right thing by restoring or selling to preserve the car. I don't know you from a hole in the wall, but it is ultimately your car and you can let your selfishness get the best of you.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
First thing junior.......you got ripped when people read your BS on 4EP about hacking the car. Here at OUR site (unlike 4EP) when people talk about hacking an ssp they get there eyes gouged out.....so if you want to hack an ssp get used to people here "jumping down your throat".

If you recognize the car is rare and deserves to be restored then great, we have accomplished something. Yes the car will be worth tons of money, after you spend another 5 to 8 k on it getting the car finished.

I think you bought the car cheap, threatened to hack it up on 4EP which got our attention, then joined the site, then dangled the car in front of us as possibly being for sale, then greed got the best of you. Top dollar for your car now is 5 k depending on the condition. I offered to buy your car and waited for you to call, (you didn't). 6500.00 is more than the car is worth, ESPECIALLY now.

You are not the first person to claim to be "doing the right thing" as you try to make a huge profit on something because you know people here will be interested. We have been there and done that. Ultimately the car is yours and you can do what you want with it. If you choose to hack it don't expect any support from anyone here. If you choose to sell it hopefully you can find a buyer that will preserve the car.

Best of luck to you all.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Best of luck to you all.

good luck with the car.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 04-10-2007, 10:50 PM

I guess Alan isn't coming back. I 'am pretty sure he is probably going to hack the car up now.
http://public.fotki.com/predator2020/
Old 04-10-2007, 11:38 PM

He done What to a SSP MUSTANG!
Old 04-14-2007, 05:38 PM
The White Fred Sanford

Quote:
Didn't you just buy it for $3500 (or less)?

That has absolutely nothing to do with it really.... I just bought a '94 GT Convertible for $1200 and turned down $5000 for it 3 days ago. I want the car...but everything has a price, if someone dangled $7K in my face I might take it....am I a GGG for that? Absolutely not. I bought the car because I wanted it, the fact that it was a steal is my good fortune and doesn't mean I have to sell it for $2,000 to be fair.

Alan had a point with the SVO Reference, I own 2 SVO's that are highly modified and I am not criticized by the SVO Community for that. Everyone had the chance to buy this car and could have contacted the seller just like Alan did or even place a bid as we discussed previously to "mark your spot"...you can't dictate what people do with their money or a car they buy....you CAN promote a good feeling of community and support the car and try to help lead someone in the general right direction but this thread while starting off that way just turned into a huge negative blow for this community by bashing this guy.

I have 2 SSP's...one IS modified and the other will be a stock restoration. I never talk about the modified one simply because the general "Air" around any SSP site is that it is taboo....which is ashame. Mine while looking totally stock is getting improvements that "I" want so that "I" can enjoy "MY" car....the minute someone tells me what I should do with "MY" car I think I'll act the same way. For this part of the Mustang Hobby it really should be looked at how some things like this come across. There are purists but you MUST understand that not everyone IS a purist and has other interests. I agree a car like this '84 is best served by restoration to original simply because of the limited numbers but forcing that down someones throat will only result in a negative response.

I also disagree about the subframe connectors....I restore cars for a living and these cars especially are flat WORN OUT by the time we get most of them and they flex badly with the unibody design. You have 2 choices....gut the car and weld up some of the seams to get the structural rigidity back or install subframe connectors. I've seen SSP's WITH frame connectors sag on a rack like a Fox convertible where the doors become hard to open! This is a fact, not myth.

I'm not attacking anyone here but I am pointing out my observations having just come across this thread in it's entirety.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:56 PM

Did the guy that offered you $5000 for your car know you paid $1200, probably not. If he did know he would have offered considerably less, unless he had to have the car. The 84 FHP that Alan has is worth around $3500 to me, that's about how much I planned to bid on it. It may have been worth $5000 to somebody else, but knowing he paid $3500 for it. I doubt somebody would give him $6000 for it. Unless they had to have it, I don't.
http://public.fotki.com/predator2020/

Last edited by predator20; 04-14-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Admin

I honestly can't blame the guy for being defensive, since things were being said before we even gave him the chance to speak up. For all we know, he wasn't told anything about the car, or its' rarity, by the seller. Who really knows?

However, once we got him on board, and he agreed to tone down the mods he previously planned, I think we had the opportunity to further educate him and see the car restored. Sadly, that didn't happen. He wasn't on here posting that he knew the car was rare, and that he was going to hack it up anyway (as we've seen in the past), nor did he appear to be trying to cause any trouble . I would have preferred to see him ask a few more questions about the car, but maybe he was reading other parts of the site (and other sites) and didn't have any.

We try to look out for each other, price-wise, because this is a pretty tight-knit community. He had no idea about that, and I can understand why he wanted to make some money on the car. I was a little put off when I first saw that, but thinking about it further....I don't think he really had a clue as to how this community likes to operate.

Some of the issue needs to be placed squarely on the person who sold him the car, at that price, to obviously not an established SSP enthusiast. I understand both sides of the Ebay bidding thing, but if Tate honestly thought that the '84 wouldn't get any bids, he was sadly mistaken.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Closed Thread