Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:11 PM

Thumbs up

I used to own a 92 emerald green lx that I purchased brand new" Man I loved that car...But I will never forget the C.H.P. Mustangs creepin in behind cars just comin for anybody speeding" That alone made me buy a 92 chp that is currently getting painted black and white...The history and look of these cars are what makes them special to me" OK I will shut up Now...5.0's RULE!!
Old 12-12-2006, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmt336 View Post
My Father has a good friend who was a Florida State Trooper, now retired with 33 or so years, who was assigned to the Orlando area for most of his career. My Father, and Grandfather before, owned a car repair shop that specialized in front end alignment and high speed wheel balancing. While I was in college and home on visits (mid 80s)I would hang out at the shop and this Trooper, Jack, would bring his car in for an alignment and balancing since the no one in the state barn, or anywhere, was as good as my Dad , seriously.
So Jack always had an FHP Mustang and that is what he brought in. When Dad aligned it he then did the high speed balancing and then road tested it. Often I rode with him. I wasn't really into the Mustangs at all, but remeber the cars being very strong. I also remember thinking how cool the black wheels were with the small caps. I also like the 60s stuff with the dog dish caps the best.
Anyway, that is my first memory of the SSPs, and Jack had 3 different ones over the years...
My buddy Todd, who many of you met in Birmingham, also came back to UF in the fall of 85 with a brand new 85 GT in black with A/C as the ONLY option. Did quite a bit of street racing and only a Buick Grand National could outrun it.
Then this guy at GPD I knew was all crazy about them and I just kind of started liking them more and more...I think he is on this board...lol

Oh yea, interestingly enough. Jack, the Trooper, has a sister who happens to be my Lt. at GPD. I was talking to her about the site, these cars etc and asked her to ask Jack if he remembered his unit numbers because someone might be restoring one of his cars. She pulls out her cell and calls him up. She says into the phone "Oh, no one would have one of yours" and I think maybe he wrecked all of them. The she says "oh-they are all in the barn in the back yard". He had 3, a 1983, a 1986, and a 1993 and he apparently bought all three from the auctions...more on that to come.
how many more years do we have to wait for those pictures of these mystery cars to get developed and posted?????? By the way....can you give the guy my number so I can talke to him about the correct equipment to put in my 83 FHP car?

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 12-12-2006, 10:17 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
how many more years do we have to wait for those pictures of these mystery cars to get developed and posted?????? By the way....can you give the guy my number so I can talke to him about the correct equipment to put in my 83 FHP car?
Bret,

I'd post up the ass end of the '83 with just enough showing so that Jim knows what he's looking at. Also...when you give the guy his phone number, make sure it's off by a couple of digits.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 12-16-2006, 11:56 AM

My recruiting officer when I applied at CSP in 1986 drove up in an '84 Mustang. I believe it was the only unmarked Mustang ever used in Colorado. It was the metallic (Canyon?) red color. It was rotated around the state after originally having been purchased for the Chief. He didn't like the size of the Mustang so turned it back in to the pool for a four door. The thought of being assigned a Mustang was quite a draw.

I attended the State auction when that car and several others were sold. I don't recall the dollar amounts but they were right on NADA used car values for the time even with the mileage consideration.

It was the black wheels and "dog dish" look that really got my attention in the late 80s. I was hooked from then on.

I bought an absolutely original '86 CSP in 2002 for an incredible price. I enjoyed the car but foolishly sold it to buy a new HD Fatboy in 2003.

My '91 is a very nice car purchased in part to make up for letting the '86 go.

I'm looking for another '86 SSP.

Last edited by foxsedan; 12-16-2006 at 12:05 PM.