Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustangs For Sale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Special Service Mustangs For Sale Any and all SSP Mustangs.

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 10:21 PM

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/car...s-out-bubkiss/

something I found browsing the www.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Admin

Here is a response to Autoweek's article back then from Mr. Shelby.

Quote:
Carroll Shelby's Response To The Publisher of AutoWeek.com

July 23, 2007

Mr. K.C. Crain Jr.
Publisher
AutoWeek

K.C.,

I was surprised by Kathy Jackson's misinformed article about the Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation. Ms. Jackson did not contact me personally to request an interview and I just learned that an executive at Shelby Licensing failed to pass her request for comment to me. I've always been proud to talk about the Foundation. A conversation with me would have resolved any concerns and allowed me to explain my long term goals.

Some who read this article might think that the Foundation is not running on all cylinders. Nothing could be further from the truth. We’ve throttled back a bit on our giving because we are committed to create a perpetual endowment. It’s routine for non-profit organizations to build an endowment that ensures the group can continue its mission in the future. At 84 years old, you can understand why I’m concerned with this issue. I want the Foundation to do great work years after I’m not around.

Though we’ve experienced a few growing pains, I’d like to point out a few important items:

• I hired Jenni Shreeves, a very capable Foundation director and very recently expanded the board to help us reach our endowment goals; they are helping me make donation decisions that won’t risk the Foundation’s future financial security.

• I’ve been searching for another person from outside the auto industry with expertise in this area to join the board of directors and provide additional expertise, as well as different perspective.

• Prior to working with Ford Motor Company beginning in 2006, I personally raised almost all of the funds for the Foundation by donating my personal cars and signing autographs. Sooner or later, I will run out of cars and the ability to sign autographs. Working with Ford has allowed us to take that next step and build a more diverse donor base for the Foundation.

• With the sudden inflow of significant money over the past 18 months, we tapped Wells Fargo to analyze our strategic plan and help us manage these funds. It is prudent stewardship to put on the brakes instead of throwing around money like a drunken lottery winner. We expect to announce their findings shortly.

• We’re not “skimping on the giving.” While the Foundation will certainly continue to donate money to deserving kids and groups, everyone on the board is first committed to building the endowment so we don’t run out of money once I can’t sign autographs to raise funds. We won’t toss out our long-term strategic plan for a short-term benefit because of misinterpreted information discussed during an interview with a Shelby executive.

What began as an effort to help kids has become much larger than I ever imagined thanks to many wonderful people, including partners such as Ford. While our fundraising was once confined to small donations, they have dramatically accelerated our efforts. We are much closer to making more substantial and more frequent donations for years to come.

The team is meeting our challenges head-on while building a world class organization. I invite Ms. Jackson to talk to me anytime. I am sure she, and Automotive News readers, will be impressed.

Sincerely,

Carroll Shelby

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 06-21-2009, 03:54 PM

I believe that man about as far as I can throw him. His intentions have always circulated around the almighty dollar and a foundation is a tax dodging way to do so. His recent insurgence is based around Shelby GT's ( a mashing of Ford parts catalog items ) and GT500's that he never touches ( only allowed Ford to use the nomenclature without another lawsuit ). My hat goes off to the Saleens ( now defunct ), Steedas and Roushes that actually develop their own cars and parts for Ford, similar to what Carroll Shelby did in the 60's.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinTiger View Post
I believe that man about as far as I can throw him. His intentions have always circulated around the almighty dollar and a foundation is a tax dodging way to do so. His recent insurgence is based around Shelby GT's ( a mashing of Ford parts catalog items ) and GT500's that he never touches ( only allowed Ford to use the nomenclature without another lawsuit ). My hat goes off to the Saleens ( now defunct ), Steedas and Roushes that actually develop their own cars and parts for Ford, similar to what Carroll Shelby did in the 60's.
Carroll Shelby had major imput into the engineering and production of the 07 - 09 GT 500. (Common knowledge in Ford circles) Like 1968 thru 1970 the cars were built with his imput but not modified at his plant. Incredible that a guy that has donated over 30 high dollar collectible automobiles to charity is bashed and accused of "dodging taxes". please...... Given the lunatics that are in DC right now EVERYONE better create a "foundation". I don't know....maybe him being a legend is all a myth. Steve Saleen is done unless he can succeed with his new company which is still in question, Jack Roush builds a great car, but is higher priced than a GT 500 and doesn't hold value as well. I guess the Shelby's are not for everyone but I sure like mine. It's Ok that Carroll himselff didn't touch it. Having his name on it means its bad ass and will be worth than I paid for it in 20 years. Try that with a Saleen, Roush or Steeda.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 06-22-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
The guy is an icon in the automotive industry. In addition he is a brilliant businessman that knows how to market himself and his products. To top it off he has been at it for over 60 years. I am hoping to get his signature on my GT 500 if I can. I don't care if it costs me to get it because anyone that knows anything about Carroll Shelby knows that 100% of $$$$ he brings in with his autograph (like dash plaques) goes to charity. Shelby automobiles have always been and will continue to be an excellent investment.

If I had a Roush, or Saleen car they could sign it, but the only person signing my Cobra will be CS himself.
Jim, it would only make sense to have Carroll Shelby sign your GT500, because he was a pivotal figure in the history of that particular car. I just don't see the benefit of having Mr. Shelby autograph an SSP Mustang, since he had zero involvement in these cars.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 06-22-2009, 09:12 AM

Bottom Line is all things Shelby appreciate. That said I decided to go with my Bullitt and SSP because those cars have meaning to me. Im getting the SSP painted and they tell me its perfect and sure to go up in value so maybe I can compete with Ol'Shel after all
Old 06-22-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Jim, it would only make sense to have Carroll Shelby sign your GT500, because he was a pivotal figure in the history of that particular car. I just don't see the benefit of having Mr. Shelby autograph an SSP Mustang, since he had zero involvement in these cars.
Bill,

I totally agree with that. I would not let Roush, Shelby, Saleen or anyone else sign one of my ssp cars. For an ssp car I would like to have it signed by the trooper that drove it but thats about it for an ssp.

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 06-22-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Bottom Line is all things Shelby appreciate. That said I decided to go with my Bullitt and SSP because those cars have meaning to me. Im getting the SSP painted and they tell me its perfect and sure to go up in value so maybe I can compete with Ol'Shel after all

I would really like to have a Bullitt also but I don't see it happening any time soon. As for ssp values I can say that the values of the cars have risen steadily over the past 12 years I have been collecting them. Along the way I have bought numerous cars to save them, then sold them to other enthusiasts to help fund another car I want for the collection. In the end I believe the 4-eyed cars will be the best investment simply due to the numbers produced (versus the aero cars.)

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 06-22-2009, 11:05 AM

Good point about the 4-eyed cars. Were any of them injected? I know they were carbed at first.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:36 AM

Good point about the 4-eyed cars. Were any of them injected? I know they were carbed at first.

1986 was the first and last injected 4-eyed (unless you count the 1985 CFI). So many people have bought the new GT500s as an investment I doubt they will be worth more than sticker in 20 years. The original Shelbys were driven and not many bought as investments and that is why the few good originals that are left are worth so much at auction today. I saw a new 09 KR500 for $75,000 at a dealer on eBay and a local Ford dealer had a new 08 GT500 that they could not get $44k for.
Closed Thread