Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustangs For Sale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Special Service Mustangs For Sale Any and all SSP Mustangs.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:30 AM

Below are the historical events for this vehicle listed in chronological order. Any discrepancies will be in bold text.
Report Run Date: 2008-10-11 01:28:24.312 EDT
Vehicle: 1983 Ford Mustang GL / GLX / L (1FABP26F4DF219693)
Event date Location Odometer reading Data Source Details
08/18/1983 ID Independent Source VEHICLE MANUFACTURED AND SHIPPED TO DEALER
02/01/1995 DURANGO, CO 9,554 Motor Vehicle Dept. EXCEEDS MECHANICAL LIMITS
06/14/1995 DURANGO, CO Motor Vehicle Dept. EXCEEDS MECHANICAL LIMITS
04/09/1996 DURANGO, CO Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
EXCEEDS MECHANICAL LIMITS
11/01/1996 DEPEW, NY Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
02/09/1999 DEPEW, NY Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
09/26/2000 ROCHESTER, NY Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
10/02/2002 ROCHESTER, NY Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
08/08/2005 AUBURN, NY Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
08/16/2005 NY 57,333 Motor Vehicle Dept. EMISSION INSPECTION
FAILED SAFETY INSPECTION
http://public.fotki.com/predator2020/
Old 10-11-2008, 08:41 AM

So the car never made it to Idaho?

1993 FHP 813
1986 UHP SSP slicktop- Getting there little by little.
1993 Floyd Co Ga\Rome Ga pd SSP SOLD

E
ven grief recedes with time, but we must Never Forget. 9-11-01

Mustang Club of America member.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:24 AM
**No Longer a Registered Member**

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHP813 View Post
So the car never made it to Idaho?
Why do you say that? There is a 12 year gap between 83 delivery and the first record in Durango Colorado. It's very possible there is/was no safety inspection or emissions testing in the area of Idaho in which the car possibly served.

Just a thought!
Old 10-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Admin

I emailed the guy to see what documentation he has from ISP and also to see if he would stop by on here. I haven't heard back from him.

In one of the State Patrol picture/history books, it says that for a brief time in the '60's and '70s Idaho ran white doors. They show a picture of a late '60s ISP car with white doors, and then a '78 car back to black, with a comment about '78 being the first year for the new-old scheme.

I think it could be any number of things...but they definitely could have just painted the doors black and put the car into service. Jim's '86 is a non-special paint car, and it looks like they did just that with his car (painted the roof white and marked it).

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 10-11-2008, 12:36 PM

I spoke over the telephone with the seller.

According to the seller, the car has a Colorado title issued when he lived in Colorado. He claims he purchased the car when he lived in Colorado for 7 years. He purchased the car from a gentleman who was the 3rd owner. The seller lived in Colorado until 1996 when he moved back home to NY. I now find the Colorado title interesting since Carfax show registrations from 1996 to 2005 in NY. The car failed inspection due to a missing wiper arm. The seller did not register the car since that time.

I spoke with the seller about the title issue. He says that he registered the car in NY when he moved back to NY. He says that the car has always had a Colorado title since he purchased the car in Durango Colorado. He says NY allowed him to register the car with a Colorado title still in force since the Colorado title was in his name and NY DMV did not require him to get a NY title even though he had NY plates and registration. I doubt that very much based upon my professional experience but you never know! NY requires titles on cars made after 1973 and I doubt that you can repeatedly register a car in NY state and still maintain an out of state title. As a licensed motor vehicle dealer myself, I have a "little" knowledge of title and registration requirements in my states and other states. If he can register the car in NY and maintain a Colorado title, that would be a new one on me!

Some states do not collect the old title when registering a car in a new state so this results in me wanting answers to several questions. Is there a problem with the current NY title he "may" or "may not" have? Was there ever a NY title? One would "think" there must have been a NY title since the car was registered repeatedly in NY. Given the Carfax information provided above I think the seller will have many more questions to answer about the current or legal title to this car before I will bid.

He says he did not drive during the Winter in NY so there is no rust according to him.

Per my inquiries, the seller says he will check with NY DMV on Monday about the title issue. I will be speaking with him then. Until that time I am hesitant to bid on a vehicle that "MAY" have a potential title problem!
Old 10-11-2008, 12:45 PM

The seller seemed like a very nice guy on the telephone who was very concerned about my questions and was interested in finding an answer. He understood my questions and concerns about the title and agreed that he will contact the NY DMV to get answers to my questions concerning the registration and title issue so we can talk on Monday.

Let's give the guy a chance to respond before flaming him about the "potential" problem.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:12 PM

I also emailed the seller and seems like a nice cooperative person. I asked about the white doors and he said inside the door panel and around the edges of the door is evidence of white. He said the buck tags are all that prove its history and he is in no position to deny or prove what the buck tags say. Perhaps the black doors were the year after or they adjusted the paint scheme upon delivery he wrote. He gave his number 716 908 6855 if I had any further questions. It still bothers me about the white doors and reading here that the black doors came to being in 1978 with the Idaho State Patrol.
1993 Nebraska State Patrol SSP unit#3133
1986 Utah Hyway Patrol slicktop SSP
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol slicktop SSP
1983 Idaho State Police slicktop SSP
Old 10-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliceSSP View Post
It still bothers me about the white doors and reading here that the black doors came to being in 1978 with the Idaho State Patrol.
The car looks pretty unmolested. I'd bet the build sheet is still in there, and it will probably confirm it as an Idaho car.

Idaho obviously painted the '86s (roofs). I'm sure if the '83s came in with white doors, they just painted them black and away they went. Alabama is another agency that did this, as evidenced by the car that was recently found and is being restored. It's not a special paint car, either, but they ran them with the hoods and trunks painted a different color.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 10-11-2008, 08:46 PM

Default Mondays a holiday

No DMV till Tuesday this week.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:40 PM

$2425 I hope it goes to a good home.

1993 FHP 813
1986 UHP SSP slicktop- Getting there little by little.
1993 Floyd Co Ga\Rome Ga pd SSP SOLD

E
ven grief recedes with time, but we must Never Forget. 9-11-01

Mustang Club of America member.