Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:57 PM

Default Thanks and I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks for all of the help and hopefully in a few days I will have this idling issue resolved.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:16 AM

Did this start out of the blue or after something was worked on under the hood?
Old 03-26-2014, 08:42 PM

Default It was like it when I purchased the car. Still have cold idle issue+ when coating.

When I purchased this car it had this issue. I thought it was the IAC or TPS. I changed both and reset idle and also adjusted volts on TPS to below 1 volt. I still am having cold idle issues. When my tank was half empty yesterday I added 87 octane hoping it would help it with idling and also with jerking when de-accelerating. No such luck. Will adjust the throttle body set screw and fill entire tank with 87 octane when near empty. Hopefully this will help, if not I will put her in the shop as soon as it is in the budget.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:51 PM

Could even be something as simple as the "ACT" sensor

They are usually pretty cheap at the local parts store and very easy to change.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 NC SSP View Post
Is it okay to add Sea Foam or other cleaners once a month? Will post as soon as I have an update. Hopefully when I get most 87/89 octane fuel in my car it will help the cold idle issue I have. I thought that putting 93 octane in my car was helping, little did I know that it could be hurting my car. Thanks again for help.
It's ok to run the Sea Foam thru the car if done properly, but to much can actually not be good for it.

It's usually a good idea to check your spark plugs after doing it, because it can actually foul out your spark plugs since it works "that good". But again it really depends on how and how much you run it thru the car.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:31 PM

I don't think it's any type of "fouling" issue.......unless it's fouled spark plugs possibly. These engines are always filthy inside since they re circulate crankcase vapor back into the intake, but apparently it doesn't bother them at all. Really sounds like a vacuum leak to me is the most likely cause. Incidentally, what kind of plugs are you running in it? I have found that they really don't seem to like Bosch Platinums for what it's worth.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:29 PM

Default Update on idle issues.

I completed a base idle reset again and it seemed to be idling ok. When I turn the heat the idle lowers and nearly turns off. I will see how she runs in the a.m.. My car has motorcraft spark plugs, but it need to probably change them soon for a tune up. There is also a pretty bad exhaust leak on the passenger side I will address as soon as possible. I wish she was ready for the 50th Anniversary Mustang car show in Charlotte, but she is not ready. Maybe I will be able to show my car at the 51st Anniversary next year. Thanks for all of the help.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:15 PM

Default Silverfox

did you resolve your idling issue?
Old 08-07-2015, 09:21 PM

Cool silverfox

I had same problem,changed everything,nothing seem to fix it.I performed a smoke test and found I had leaking intake gaskets,The lower ones were sucking air causing the idle surge.If any questions gimmie a shout dude