Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Restoration-related Equipment Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Restoration-related Equipment Tech Any questions or information about any period-correct resto equipment (ie. switchboxes, lights, radios).

Old 11-09-2023, 10:30 PM

Lightbulb SSP in-car cameras

I don’t recall this being a common topic and I don’t see much mention of it in restoration docs regarding SSP in-car cameras.

Many of the SSP restorations I’ve seen just have the common interior radio equipment, siren modules, various control boxes, CB’s, scanners, various switch boxes, vascar (where applicable), radar systems, etc., but I haven’t seen any with in-car cams.

In this YT vid link I’m providing, it has various State SSP’s in action, some of this footage is from in-car cams installed in the trailing SSP’s.

Has any member restored an SSP and included a period correct in-car cam? Does anyone know what in-car camera systems were used back then in these SSP’s?

Here’s the YT vid in the event no one has seen this footage before:
https://youtu.be/r296gIymGyE?si=pFz7ORyFH0VQ5ogL
1994 Cobra Coupe SVT #13
2018 EB Fastback w/PP
Old 11-11-2023, 08:42 AM

Bobby has done one or two GSPs that were equipped with them.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 11-11-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOstang View Post
Bobby has done one or two GSPs that were equipped with them.
Hi Mike!

Thanks for reply!

Do you happen to have any images or info about the equipment used badk then to share?

I am not on FB or other Social Media site and obviously can't access the .net FB page to cruise around and read because it's all private (understandable)...

Thanks for any links or other info you can share (or Bobby if he comes on here).

Do you happen to know what TX may have used for their in-car cams? Just going by that YT vid, it says the trailing unit was a mustang SSP w/ the cam vantage point.

I know in-car cams weren't used in every unit across the states, just trying to get an idea of what was used and how mounted. I just never heard or seen it touched on, unless I'm totally missing the threads on here.

Many thanks again.
1994 Cobra Coupe SVT #13
2018 EB Fastback w/PP
Old 11-12-2023, 05:09 PM

I believe it was a GE System used by Georgia.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:09 PM
Admin

Check out the GSP Resto doc on this site for the specifics on Georgia's camera program. The first ones were "Docucam" brand.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 11-14-2023, 06:22 PM

Mike,

Thanks for the reply!

Wow, that DocuCam in the GA resto doc is HUGE! That must have made a lot of racket when driving around seeing how it was mounted. LOL!

Were those (2) types of cams used by other State agencies, or were these usually specific to Agency X and not used elsewhere?

I'm also assuming that in-car cams in the 80's-early 90's were not as common as they are today.
1994 Cobra Coupe SVT #13
2018 EB Fastback w/PP
Old 11-26-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Jet View Post
Hi Mike!

Thanks for reply!

Do you happen to have any images or info about the equipment used badk then to share?

I am not on FB or other Social Media site and obviously can't access the .net FB page to cruise around and read because it's all private (understandable)...

Thanks for any links or other info you can share (or Bobby if he comes on here).

Do you happen to know what TX may have used for their in-car cams? Just going by that YT vid, it says the trailing unit was a mustang SSP w/ the cam vantage point.

I know in-car cams weren't used in every unit across the states, just trying to get an idea of what was used and how mounted. I just never heard or seen it touched on, unless I'm totally missing the threads on here.

Many thanks again.
Besides the guidebook Mike M. pointed out, Bobby may have posted some other pics w/in resto threads on this Forum. You might see if you can find any in one of those.

I don't recall reading or seeing anyone post about TXDPS putting cameras in SSPs. But I learned a long time ago to never say never, about these SSPs.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/