Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Restoration-related Equipment Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Restoration-related Equipment Tech Any questions or information about any period-correct resto equipment (ie. switchboxes, lights, radios).

Old 08-11-2023, 01:09 AM

Question TX DPS interior equipment questions

Ok, so a I’ve looked over the TX Agency Specific Restoration docs on here MANY times, as well as the “Romans TX DPS” hyperlink and many online images of TX DPS SSP’s (the in-service pics and civilian resto jobs).

My question is this - 1993 specific only - in this widely known Tom Mallette image of a 93 DPS while in-service, it seems to be the only image I can find anywhere on the net that shows the interior of a true in-service 93 DPS with the dash equipment. Due to the image quality, it’s very hard to make out the exact equipment, however I can make out the Code 3 Arrowstik switch box mounted vertically. I can also make out the top dash mounted radar box as well as the actual radar antenna when making them image lighter.

My questions are:
1) Can anyone identify the radar box and front radar antenna by this image? I read in the Agency specific resto doc on here that later TX DPS units had a “BEE Model 36” radar system. However when looking up that exact model, it is definitely NOT the unit in the interior of this in-service 93 DPS unit. Even though this image is not very clear, one can tell that the size and front face of the radar box in this in-service 93 is definitely NOT a BEE 36 at all. A BEE 36 does not have a front port on the left fascia for what appears to be either for the remote cable OR the actual front mount antenna…. In the image, there is definitely a front left port with cable on that radar box.

2) Is that unit possibly a “Decatur” radar system? In the TX Agency resto docs, it is mentioned that the DPS had used Decatur systems. In “Roman’s DPS” hyperlink, he has a Decatur that he used in his resto, but his radar box also has a totally different front face and no port on the left side. His Decatur is also brown and the radar antenna looks different too, like it predates 1993. I have looked various other BEE, MPH, Kustom Signals, and Stalker models and none look like the radar box in the in-service pic.

Any help is appreciated.

I’m finding quite a few discrepancies with the TX Agency resto docs and Romans resto when focusing on a 1993 specific TX units. Not putting down Romans resto, but when compared to the true in-service pics found online for 1993’s, that restoration can’t be used as a base or model for those trying to restore 93 back to 93 DPS in-service specs.
1994 Cobra Coupe SVT #13
2018 EB Fastback w/PP
Old 08-21-2023, 02:08 PM

Before reading your post, I was thinking that forward facing radar was from one of the Bee model ones (is it MPH that makes those?). The models with the Bee name dack back for a number of years, and they made various models over the years. I'm not familiar enough with the different models, if it's in fact a Bee but it does have that look about what I can see in the pic. The Texas DPS did use Bee models in various years of SSPs, and also MPH S80 (the pic isn't an S80) ones I've viewed in some in service pics, too.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 08-22-2023, 12:41 AM

Lightbulb

I just want to clarify that this thread and my findings/posts will be specific to "a" 1993 Texas DPS (mainly referencing the 93 DPS SSP Tom Mallette photo above), and to which I will base my 93 TX DPS restoration on.

I don't want to cause any confusion, but seeing that nearly every 1993 DPS SSP has a Jetsonic and the (10) head Arrowstik, some of the interior equipment also must have been "standard" too. Maybe not in every Region patrolled, but for the most part these were configured by the Fleet Division with similar equipment.

---

Ok here's another confirmed interior equipment piece to the Tom Mallette photo. The piece of equipment that is to the far right of the Switch Box/Radar head and mounted vertically with a red stripe is the Code 3 ArrowStik Controller. This would have been the C3 AS Controller with a far left red slide lever switch, (6) yellow LEDs across the face panel in the middle, and a single white "Flash" button to the far right. This is also confirmed by a late 80's early 90's Code 3 advertisement for the then new (10) head Arrowstik. 10 heads = (8) between (2) arrows.

Be aware there is also a C3 AS Controller with (8) LEDs on the face panel, however this unit is not correct based on the Tom Mallette photo or the period correct Code 3 advertisement (also included here for review).

I just recently was able to score (2) of these hard to find C3 AS controllers with the 6 LED face panel.

How do I know for certain it's a (6) LED unit vs. an (8) LED unit in that TM image? Because the main difference is the "Flash" button to the far right on the face panel. On an (8) LED panel the Flash button is surrounded by 4 white arrows around it. On a (6) LED panel, the Flash button does not have any markings around the white button. When diving deep into the TM pic, that C3 AS Controller does not have any additional white around the actual white button at all.

I was able to score (2) 6 LED panel Code 3 ArrowStik controllers. I'm including close up images of 1 unit, which is what is in the TM 1993 TX DPS SSP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4622.jpeg (627.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4623.jpeg (716.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4624.jpeg (1.26 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4625.jpeg (533.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4626.jpeg (651.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4627.jpeg (1,017.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4628.jpeg (1.89 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4629.jpeg (939.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4519.jpeg (397.9 KB, 5 views)
1994 Cobra Coupe SVT #13
2018 EB Fastback w/PP
Old 08-22-2023, 01:12 AM

More notes to my findings regarding the Code 3 ArrowStik controller:

The (2) I have recently purchased surprisingly enough, both are in fact 1993 date stamped on the bottom (mo/day/yr)!

There is also specific Code 3 wiring instructions online for how to wire the 6 LED C3 AS controller to a 10-head ArrowStik. Just because there are (6) LEDs on the face panel doesn't mean it only illuminates (6) on the actual ArrowStik. It's a very odd wiring combo from the controller to the light bar, which is seen by the attached images of the wiring diagram on the underside of the actual unit. I've conversed with a few in the emergency equipment community/hobby/restoration of light bars and all have said the C3 AS controller with the 6 LED face panel is the correct controller for the 10-head ArrowStik. Some have said the unit with the 8 LED face panel will not work and some have said it *could be* configured to work, but it's not recommended and it's definitely NOT correct for restoration purposes if going by the Tom Mallette 1993 TX DPS SSP photo.
1994 Cobra Coupe SVT #13
2018 EB Fastback w/PP