Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:48 PM

Thanks...I'm sure this will be of interest to some CHP vehicle owners, since CA came down on the Platemeister and they quit selling.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 03-26-2017, 07:46 PM

I sent this vendor pictures and information for every plate I need for my SSP cars. He is going to look at everything and get back to me possibly tomorrow. His prices are reasonable and he is confident he can probably do most anything. I will be very excited if he can replicate the Blue and Gold MSP 1130 plates I need for the 89.

I sent the information directly through his email address and not through the ebay system.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 03-26-2017, 08:51 PM
Admin

Jim,

Shoot me his email...I'd like to see if he can do an old FHP plate for the '85.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 03-27-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
I sent this vendor pictures and information for every plate I need for my SSP cars. He is going to look at everything and get back to me possibly tomorrow. His prices are reasonable and he is confident he can probably do most anything. I will be very excited if he can replicate the Blue and Gold MSP 1130 plates I need for the 89.

I sent the information directly through his email address and not through the ebay system.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 03-27-2017, 08:16 PM

Default New Story

I haven't posted any stories for a long time, but after getting those plates, and working on 0327 today, I feel inspired.

One hot summer afternoon, July or August, 0255 and I were patrolling on freeway Interstate 5 when I decided to stop a speeder. We were in the middle of nowhere, 30 or 40 miles from civilization, so there was no fill or backup available anyway, but since the subject vehicle had an out of state plate I gave dispatch my location and asked for a rolling check for wants as we prepared to stop the vehicle. Within seconds dispatch came back that the vehicle was reported to be stolen.

I activated the red spotlight and to my surprise, the violator yielded almost immediately to the shoulder and stopped abruptly. 0255 was not even completely stopped when the sole-occupant driver exited the vehicle and took off running into an almond orchard next to the highway. I put out that I was in foot pursuit, yanked 0255's parking brake on and took off after him. He had a couple hundred feet head start as I headed into the orchard. It was a very hot day, 105 degrees in the shade, and although I was wearing the short sleeve shirt, I was also wearing a protective vest. Soon I was sweating like a toad and although I was young and in very good shape, I was running out of steam in a short time. I knew this was going to be an endurance event. There was really nowhere to run or hide; whoever gave up first would lose. Fortunately I could keep the perp in visual sight as I closed on him, and the trees weren't big enough to give him a chance to hide and ambush me if he had a weapon. Finally, he became exhausted and collapsed flat on his back in the dirt. As I ran up to him I could see him laying there, beet red, soaked with perspiration, gasping for breath. He didn't have the energy left to fight if he even had wanted to. He gasped "Just go ahead, shoot me!"

"Nope", I replied, "Way too much paperwork." I rolled him onto his stomach, cuffed him, got him up on his feet, searched him, then began the march back to 0255. Towed the recovered veh, then we headed to Los Banos city jail.

From the time the foot pursuit started until the time we were back must have been 20 minutes or more. Both the subject veh and 0255 had sat there on the shoulder, running the whole time. I wonder how that must have looked to passing traffic, the two vehicles sitting there with no one around, no one even in sight. I was glad no one stopped to take 0255 for a test drive. The truckers probably knew what was going on, they always did...for 20 miles in each direction.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:47 PM

These cars have amazing stories but most are unknown. Thanks for sharing so many of yours.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:46 PM

Lol...great story. I was ina few foot pursuits in my career. If I didn't get them in the first hundred yards...I didn't get them at all. Even the fat ones.....lol

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 03-28-2017, 10:24 AM

Thanks for sharing that story!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 03-28-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
Lol...great story. I was ina few foot pursuits in my career. If I didn't get them in the first hundred yards...I didn't get them at all. Even the fat ones.....lol
Yes, every once in a while we talk about that when I am working in LE. Now that I'm older if they want to run, they're gone. Bring in the tracking dogs. Foot pursuits are a young man's job...
Old 03-28-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Yes, every once in a while we talk about that when I am working in LE. Now that I'm older if they want to run, they're gone. Bring in the tracking dogs. Foot pursuits are a young man's job...
I had four foot pursuits in 2008.

All drunk....REAL drunk....I got all four but was only 100% that year because 9 years ago my agency still allowed us to use the Taser on mopes running from us. That changed after CPD tased a guy running and he fell on the pavement and broke out all his teeth...

The very first time a Taser was used in my department was when I Tased an idiot on the roof of a house because he was refusing to come down. Watching him roll off the roof and fall into a bunch of thorny rose bushes will be forever etched in my brain. His screams were epic......like music to my ears....

Of course the paperwork was endless....and the excessive use of force investigation sucked.....but the local news channels provided us with some awesome video.....

the last 8 years of my career the only "foot" pursuits I participated in were the ones where the mope ran down the road and I could drive my car....

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP