Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:57 PM
The White Fred Sanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
My point exactly....actual police vehicles, meaning those currently used by law enforcement officials. The 'out of service" covers are manufactured for that reason.

To me, once the car leaves service, and is in civilian hands, it's better to be completely clear with whatever wording you use. I threw out the "show car" as an example. It doesn't give anyone the impression that they can make-up a police car, no more than you driving around your car with the lightbar exposed would, but people are going to do whatever they want to anyhow.
I agree with you.....but the show car idea has already surfaced. I had someone come to me and ask if they could just make a "show car" police replica out of any car...in this case it was a '76 Corvette that he wanted to paint up like a CHP and put a light bar on. He didn't know any better so I just told him "No, you can't do that....it must be an official retired vehicle"....the LAST thing we all need is a bunch of idiots running around with Toyota Supra or Cadillac Police cars for whatever reason they want to do it. Granted this is probably a small minority but we already know there are a lot of stupid people out there. As it is I already tell kids that ask me "I didn't know you could have a car like that" that you can't, you have to have a permit and register it with Police and that pretty much ends the conversation.

The other thing I have seen that bothers me is young kids becoming a volunteer firefighter just so they can put a red light up on their dash. I've seen a couple of them pulled over and ticketed here because they think it gives them the right to do 80mph in a 30 when they get a call.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by svopaul View Post
....the LAST thing we all need is a bunch of idiots running around with Toyota Supra or Cadillac Police cars for whatever reason they want to do it.
I'll stick to worrying about our Mustangs (and the postings relating to them on this site).

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 01-30-2008, 05:33 PM
The White Fred Sanford

Quote:
I'll stick to worrying about our Mustangs (and the postings relating to them on this site).

Well...you know the point I was trying to make .....there could be a bunch of 2.3L Mustang fake SSP's running around.

There, I tied it into Mustangs :P
Old 01-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Admin

Quote:
.....there could be a bunch of 2.3L Mustang fake SSP's running around.
Not on this website there won't be.
I do know what you meant, though.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 01-30-2008, 08:42 PM
The White Fred Sanford

Quote:
Not on this website there won't be.
You got that right! I can imagine the carnage someone would face if they showed up with one
Old 01-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Admin

Quote:
You got that right! I can imagine the carnage someone would face if they showed up with one
I'd like to think of it as polite persuasion. (but really it's just dedication to the hobby)

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 01-30-2008, 09:21 PM

After reading a ton of posts and checking out Georgia law on the subject, which is a little sketchy, I don't need to worry about driving around in my Blues Brotherish '82 with faded paint and x's on the doors do I? I would be shocked if I got hassled for driving it. It's still black and white and, frankly looks like a pos. Of course it will not say police anywhere on it or have any law enforcement decals. I have the exact verbage saved, but Georgia law is something to the effect of impersonating an officer/vehicle of the same colors w/blue lights, etc. From everything I have read, it appears as though the only time I would get hassled would be if I were in CA. I hope I am correct in not being too extremely worried about it.
Pics are hopefully coming soon however I am a little intimidated to post them after seeing Winter Park SSP's detail job. The carburator is the only clean part on my car.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chp1982 View Post
After reading a ton of posts and checking out Georgia law on the subject, which is a little sketchy, I don't need to worry about driving around in my Blues Brotherish '82 with faded paint and x's on the doors do I? I would be shocked if I got hassled for driving it. It's still black and white and, frankly looks like a pos. Of course it will not say police anywhere on it or have any law enforcement decals. I have the exact verbage saved, but Georgia law is something to the effect of impersonating an officer/vehicle of the same colors w/blue lights, etc. From everything I have read, it appears as though the only time I would get hassled would be if I were in CA. I hope I am correct in not being too extremely worried about it.
Pics are hopefully coming soon however I am a little intimidated to post them after seeing Winter Park SSP's detail job. The carburator is the only clean part on my car.

I think you'll be OK.

No worries on the pics....can't be any worse than many of our cars. My '83 TX car is probably one of the worst on here.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 01-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Goodwill Ambassador

Thumbs up

I think also it could boil down to BASIC COMMON SENSE...which a lot of regular civilians don't have. In my travels, I find it shocking to hear what people say and believe nowdays. Such as....Lee Harvery Oswald acted alone or there are NO UFO'S! But what my point is here.....is that you can own a beat-up 1974 Dodge Monaco or whatever (Blues Bros. Vehicle) and it can be black & white and missing hubcaps, paint peeling, dirt all over it....ya know...cruddy lookin' car and generally people would know that's an old cop car and pay it no mind or attention. The same could be said for an old police Mustang....dirty, missing or peeling paint, rub marks where the door insignia used to be, etc.

BUT! If you have an old police Mustang that's been recently repainted and it shines and looks nice and looks well cared for with all the small trimmings...then the alarm goes off. People don't think about the car being out of service and being restored.
Even though my '93 Texas DPS Mustang has now officially been OFF the highway for 10 years (it was turned-in in Oct. '97) and it was placed into service in August of '93 that makes the car 15 years old.
I try to figure people out and sometimes have distorted conclusions but my goodness.....COMMON SENSE dictates that the Texas Highway Patrol IS NOT going to be using a car that's 15 years old!
This ties into the car show sign posting a while back. I have on my sign that "This Mustang is no longer in service. It is privately owned and no longer used as an enforcement unit". And you know what?
I STILL have idiots read my sign at shows and then ask me if the DPS still uses it or owns it? OMG! READ THE DAMN SIGN (again!!!)!!!

People just interpret things differently. And people never cease to amaze me.
Common sense, people! Common sense.

Also...yeah....I am just waiting on someone to lie on me, too.
When I first restored my Texas DPS Mustang in 2002, I had a co-worker tell my boss that I had driven it to work with all the markings on it.
110% lie. I know my limitations and boundries. But just that little lie could wreck a lot of effort and a good reputation. Doesn't matter if you broke the law or not...just the suggestion plants that seed and bad things grow from there.
I am waiting on someone to call in on me when I drive mine to work or where ever I go. Although I break no laws or violate any DPS policy, it's that "court of public opinion" that will convict one of us one day. Even though I logged only 61 miles on my DPS Mustang in the entire year of 2007 alone! Yep...ONLY 61. But that's 61 miles that someone could see it and make waves unnecessarily.

I hope that never happens. But I still expect that it will. Not because we are not careful, but because there are people that like to mess things up for others just because they are mean.
The press would have field day with it. We all know how the newspaper loves to print lies or distorted information.

Take care, my fellow hobbiests. I hail everyones efforts in our unusual brotherhood of restored police cars to keep bad light off our backs.

This was a great thread! I've enjoyed following it over the last couple of days!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by policemustang View Post
In my travels, I find it shocking to hear what people say and believe nowdays. Such as....Lee Harvery Oswald acted alone
Not to hijack the thread...but I think the guy may have acted alone. I saw a special on him a week or so ago. The guy was seriously delusional and very well could have pulled it off. At least I won't argue with you about UFO's or something like the fact OJ killed his wife!

1989 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang - P294

www.fotki.com/mustangretriever