Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:49 PM

This has worked well for me.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NOT IN SERVICE DOMES 004.jpg (69.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg NOT IN SERVICE DOMES 002.jpg (73.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 07-26-2009, 11:04 PM
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S

This subject seems to pop up alot on the ssp sites on a regular basis. In my opinion when you own a in service look ssp you are just looking for trouble if you try to drive your car on a public highway period. The problem is always solved if you keep ALL the equipment on your car and put it on a trailer. If a owner of a ssp wants to drive there car getting complaints on a public highway is always going to happen. The GENERAL public does not know the difference that it is a older unit out of service,but they think it is a impersonator. Even if your lights/emblems are covered. The GENERAL public does not know the difference. The fact that people try to drive these cars in full service look, just expect to get stopped on a regular basis period. If I wanted to drive my ssp on a public highway I would paint it a solid color and keep all the external equipment off the car and enjoy it. I have had this conversation with my local CHP office and this is the way it is here in Ca. Maybe other areas of the country things are different?
1985 California Highway Patrol #8336 Napa Ca office.

1985 Nevada Highway Patrol #30. Federal Test Car. Reno Nv office.

California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/CHP8336/
Old 07-27-2009, 07:20 AM

Connecticut, to drive, have light bar covered, no police logo, but any paint (black & white) ok. Otherwise trailer it.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:43 AM
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Connecticut, to drive, have light bar covered, no police logo, but any paint (black & white) ok. Otherwise trailer it.
In Ca we have had 2 people arrested in the last month for pulling people over impersonating a LEO. Just a few days ago in Oakland a idiot tried to pull over a car in which an off duty LEO was in the car LOL ...... This kind of thing is why here they WILL pull you over even if you just have a white door and no markings on. This is a problem here. I will not even attempt to drive mine at all except in a police show or parade. As always Ca leads the way with people breaking the laws. My views on driving my car would be different if I did not live here. The CHP stated to me that with all the problems as of late,(In there opinion) It would be in my best Interest to not let the car hit any public highway.

California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:36 AM
The White Fred Sanford

It's different based on the state but CA, NY and other heavily populated areas I would expect problems. My GSP is driven only to shows and cruise-ins and I cover the light bar and decals...I've had no complaints recently but did get one long ago when it was unmarked. I've taken steps to print a letter with picture and deliver it to the local area PD's and had no trouble. I do live in a rural area though. Typically you will end up being pulled over by smaller town police...most state police/sheriffs at least in my area won't bother you unless you are doing something stupid or suspicous.

If you have a car retired from the state you live in then expect to be subjected to a more stringent set of rules regardless of year but out of state restored cars are not as high profile.

Always safest to trailer if you can but if you hit the highway and drive it just go the extra mile to make sure it is obvious you are not trying to impersonate or could be taken as trying to impersonate an officer.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:04 PM
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S

+1 ............. I have seen many young kids running around here with p71 units that they install spots,pushbumpers etc. Very few ssps left running around here. Some people causing problems with the p71s are makeing it a issue for all of us here to run our cars on Ca highways.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowMurci View Post
How do I find out what the law is in NYC with owning my FHP B4C?
I had a better link to state regulations, but I cannot find it. I found the following link just now on Google -

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/

That might be a good place to start looking. Good luck!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!