Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:19 PM

Is it going back to Minnesota?

1979 2.3 Turbo Pace Car
1989 5.0 LX Convertible
1993 5.0 LX SSP (Nevada Highway Patrol)
2018 2.7 F-150 XLT 4X4 Supercrew
Old 05-09-2010, 05:31 PM

Default And yes I do have a disease, which requires therapy.

Hello - I can answer that question. It's not going back to Minnesota, however, it is returning to Metro Detroit...the scene where it was original manufactured. This 1989 Minnesota State Patrol SSP Mustang will be joining me and my family, former tax payers and residents of the great State of Minnesota.

Minnesota SSP (Jody) and I spent the past week discussing his SSP. Having reached the end of a mutually pleasing negotiation and terms agreement in principle, I drove 10 hours Saturday to see it in Wisconsin. After validating it through a visual inspection and test drive, the sale was finalized and I'm now the proud owner. I can't say enough positive things about my experience with Jody, what a great SSP he had, and how smoothly this transaction went. This coming Saturday I will be travelling back to Wisconsin to pick it up and return it home to Michigan.

While it looks great in pictures, they really just don't do justice to how beautiful this SSP is...you have to see it in person. The more I kept looking at it Saturday, the more I just could not stop shaking my head in amazement at how this Minnesota State Patrol SSP managed to survive and stay in such phenomenal condition.

This truly is a survivor! Somehow it managed to stay so original, with so few miles, and in such amazing condition. You just wouldn't think it would happen with a Mustang that served 4 years in the state of Minnesota. Go to this link and scroll down to folders w/pics http://public.fotki.com/MOstang/must...a/photographs/ . The blue color has a way of reflecting alot in photos that makes paint look damaged/flawed. It doesn't...those are just reflections in the paint.

So what are my plans for it? I am going to begin researching and working towards returning it to in-service condition as it served with the Minnesota State Patrol. To be successful in that endeavor I will need help input from the forum and will be posting to that end.

Some of you may have read me post previously about a household statute of limitations on the number of Mustangs I can have. While I have occassionally violated that for short periods of time, the statute remains in effect. To that end I need to do something previously unforseen and regrettable, which is to sell my 1990 North Carolina State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang. I knew that going in on this deal and I could only imagine 2 diff't SSP state agencies that would lead me to sell the NCSHP SSP. Minnesota happens to be one of those, but I never imagined one would surface in this quality condition (figured a roller might surface or hacked up one but I wouldn't buy one like that).

Knowing all the research and work I have put into my North Carolina State Highway Patrol SSP, I'm sure you can all understand what a difficult decision I reached. I will be placing another post listing it for sale in the next couple days. In the meantime feel free to contact me via PM if you have questions. The good news is as long as I have it listed for sale and work towards that end, my wife will be patient. Maybe I'll luck out and get to enjoy it the rest of the summer. That wouldn't be such a bad deal .

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 05-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Admin

Congrats on your purchase.....I'm glad to see that it went to a good home.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 05-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Mustangoholic

Congratulations; cant wait to watch the progress on this one.....

MCA Member
Old 05-09-2010, 08:38 PM

glad you were able to get it done Mike. The NC car is a nice one so maybe if you stall a little the bride will relax the rule a little.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 05-10-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
The NC car is a nice one so maybe if you stall a little the bride will relax the rule a little.
Gentleman - Thanks for your feedback gentleman...I'm really looking forward to researching and enjoying this SSP.

Jim - We'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll get lucky on that one, especially if a sale doesn't happen right away . Having to make other provisions for space makes it a little tough to keep her from thinking about it. She's sacrificed at home already on that note .

Old 05-10-2010, 10:24 AM

Congrats on the new MN SSP - sweet! G/L with the sale on the NC car.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:08 AM

Very Nice Car
Old 05-10-2010, 09:12 PM

Thanks again folks. The link below will take you to a walk-around video I took with my iPod looking at the car Saturday in Wisconsin. I find it interesting the trunk release is in the trunk. Has all the other typical SSP items...160 MPH speedo; the buck tags even say Minnesota; etc, etc...just not the trunk release button under the steering wheel. Is that typical w/the 1989 SSP's? Also this one has a gas cap release button (orange) you'll see in video adjacent to the trunk release button in the glove box. Was that a factory item in 1989? Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bc2aY9C2gE

Old 05-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOstang View Post
Thanks again folks. The link below will take you to a walk-around video I took with my iPod looking at the car Saturday in Wisconsin. I find it interesting the trunk release is in the trunk. Has all the other typical SSP items...160 MPH speedo; the buck tags even say Minnesota; etc, etc...just not the trunk release button under the steering wheel. Is that typical w/the 1989 SSP's? Also this one has a gas cap release button (orange) you'll see in video adjacent to the trunk release button in the glove box. Was that a factory item in 1989? Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bc2aY9C2gE
Mike,

The fuel door release was part of the power lock group. The brochures list the relocated decklid release as standard for the Special Service Package for '88-'89, but I'd bet it could have been deleted and is just not listed in the brochures. Here is an in-service pic I took of an '88 FBI SSP car without the relocated decklid release and with both the power fuel door and decklid release buttons in the glove-box. I also have pics of an '89 FBI car that is set-up exactly the same way:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1064.JPG (52.7 KB, 45 views)

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363