Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:52 PM
**No Longer a Registered Member**

If "concourse" judging of a SSP restoration or original SSP car is the goal, the first question in my mind would be at what point when the car was put "in service" do you set a judging standard for SSP cars? Delivery from the factory door or the day the car went into police/government service? In my mind a judging standard should be based upon a standard using the appearance and equipment installed in the car upon the day the car was first put in "police" service. Of course that would also include judging the Mustang itself without regard to the additional equipment at the same time of in service use.

Looking at all the states and Federal agencies that used SSP cars, you would probably need 30-40 judging manuals since LOT'S of agencies used these cars. How and who would create these judging manuals/guidlines? Why the enthusiasts and hobbyists of course! Who better to provide the information than the people who have all the knowledge. There is already a great start online for the establishment of initial judging guidlines for Texas, California and Florida cars.

How to "judge" the cars is the same issue that brought about a small group of individual's interested in restoration, preservation and detailed knowledge of early Corvettes to start NCRS (National Corvette Restorers Society). That group started with less than 10 people and today has over 15,000 families as members. That's TWICE as large as the Mustang Club of America (MCA)! NCRS is TOTALLY driven by originality of a Corvette on the day is left the factory. That standard would not work with a SSP Mustang but I am sure that some sort of judging standard can be established IF that is the direction that SSP owners wish to go with regard to judging. Or maybe even a bigger question, does the SSP enthusiast really want that level of judging?

I personally question the idea that MCA is the right group with which to "hook up". Yes, a lot of Mustang shows are MCA shows but there are also the SVT groups and other late model groups that are more interested in Fox body cars than the MCA. Have you looked at a lot of the MCA memebership lately. I'll tell you what you see, Fat and 50+ plus years of age! Go to most MCA Mustang shows and that's what you see. Is that inherently bad? Absolutely not! It is just an observation that in general people of the 50+ age group are NOT generally Fox body enthusiasts. It seems to me that you would want to associated with a much younger crowd that is mainly interested in the newer Mustangs not the vintage Mustang crowd. MCA is not unique in this problem of older membership. Many "vintage" car marques will see a lot of their membership die or lose interest in the marque in the next 10 years. This is a natural progression of the hobby.

Having had a long term friendship with a MCA board member and a "little" knowledge of the "polictics" of the MCA, I find that the MCA is not very progressive in their thinking about the future of the club or their membership. I would think the MCA should have 3-5 times the memebership they currently have given the amount of Mustangs sold by Ford since 1964 and in particular the great interest in the new Mustang. MCA may have a big name in the hobby but from my perspective, MCA "appears" to be a much smaller player in the mustang hobby than one would think. In my opinion, the SSP crowd would be better served hooking up with a more progressive group who's interest lies in Fox body and newer Mustangs. Having said that, I am sure there are others far more knowledgeable than I that could make suggestions about the clubs/groups that new Mustang owners join and participate with.

I am sure that my views will "ruffle" a few feathers however that's what great about the hobby and those who participate. We can all have and express our "opinions". Given that the "restoration" interest in SSP cars really is in its infancy, a well thought out plan for the future will benefit all SSP Mustang owners.

Comments or responses?
Old 11-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Admin

I never used the "concours" wording, but I see where you are coming from.

I mentioned the factory-as-delivered cars in my post above, which I'd think could be a different class for those wanting to go that route.

I like the statement about "initial" judging guidelines, especially for those cars that we know the most about, and have the most documentation for. These would have to be flexible and able to be updated as necessary, just like the other guidelines. I would think that we could use a "baseline" for guidelines dealing with restoration equipment, based on agency, time period in-service, etc. That way, we wouldn't be nit-picking ourselves with the way equipment was mounted, for example, but more focusing on the "correctness" of what's in the car as a whole, be it period-correct and a guesstimate (such as the Kansas example), or verifiable equipment that would have been used in-service (like the CHP or FHP equipment). Personally, I'd like to see things go that route as opposed to focusing on which fasteners on the car are the wrong finish, etc.

I'm not involved in the MCA, but aren't they the sponsors of most of the major Mustang shows?

I think you made some good points.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 11-24-2007, 06:10 PM
**No Longer a Registered Member**

Your statement about being flexible is key! The Corvette bunch judgine standards have evolved in many ways over 30 years of judging. Heck, cars that were judged "top flight" 10 years ago would barely 3rd flight today. The knowledge base has changed that much. Any SSP judging guidlines would have to be a "living document" instead of being viewed as hard and fast rules of "the way it was"!

MCA is the quote "sponsor" of a lot of shows because the local club putting on the show is a MCA affiliated club. I just think there may be better alternatives.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:34 AM
Supreme Allied Commander

Talking

Why not 3 simple catagories for SSP's.
1. Concours-as in exactly as it left the Ford plant. All FACTORY installed Ford equipment as in ground straps, the correct alternator, etc. No agency installed equipment. This allows for people who appreciate the special nature of these cars, but don't want the attention a marked unit may bring to an un-sworn owner.

2. In service- As the car was the first day with it's first agency, or as close as can be dtermined, it went into service. That is the light bar, radios, markings, etc.

3. SSP resto mod- Any made up car. This could be a non-SSP made to look like an SSP or one from one agency restored to look like another agency car.

Of course many here will be able to be more detailed about what would be what for each class, but that seems to cover the broad strokes.
2002 Crown Vic Sport
Old 11-25-2007, 01:06 AM
Admin

That sounds like a good start.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 11-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Alibi

Default 3 Categories

That seems like a reasonable start point, as per this thread there are many variations of equipment and "correctness" due to the multiple federal, state and municipal agencies.

"Future Is What Present Does"

Collectables:
1993 WinterPark FL SSP Unit 1017 (72K miles)
Other(s):
1987 Buick Grand National (862 miles)
1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am- Pace Car (2,847 miles)
1990 Chevrolet Camaro IROC 5.7 "1LE" (COPO), 1 of 64 (28 with 5.7L) (10,111 miles)
1995 Corvette ZR1 (859 miles)

"Kiddie Carrier"
2008 BMW M5 (500 HP, V10, 6-speed....sedan)
Old 11-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Resident Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageracer View Post
Have you looked at a lot of the MCA memebership lately. I'll tell you what you see, Fat and 50+ plus years of age! Go to most MCA Mustang shows and that's what you see. Is that inherently bad? Absolutely not! It is just an observation that in general people of the 50+ age group are NOT generally Fox body enthusiasts. Comments or responses?
You asked for comments and responses - guilty as charged on the fat and 50 plus. Not guilty of being a non Fox chassis enthusiast. Sure glad that I'm not "In General" as I currently have four Fox cars!!!!

'89 FHP Unit # 435 (Deceased)
'89 FHP Unit # 1526 Troop H (Madison)SOLD 12/3/13
'89 SCHP Marked Unit # 2-12-80 SOLD 6/21/15
'88 SCHP Unmarked Unit # 2-12-23 SOLD 9/3/12
'90 MSHP Marked Unit # P-162 Plate # 642-HP SOLD 12/17/11
'88 MSHP Marked Unit # P-162 Plate # 642
Old 11-25-2007, 08:42 PM

same here.....well almost 50....not really fat....but an MCA member with at last count I think 16 fox body cars. (counting the 87 FHP sitting in Florida and the other real cool 1990 super duper rare SSP I have squirreled away in another state waiting on me to pick up.....

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 11-25-2007, 09:56 PM
Admin

I'm not quite either, yet, and I guess I should have read his post better.

I'm not sure who else it would be, other than MCA, as far as sanctioning goes.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 11-25-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
same here.....well almost 50....not really fat....but an MCA member with at last count I think 16 fox body cars. (counting the 87 FHP sitting in Florida and the other real cool 1990 super duper rare SSP I have squirreled away in another state waiting on me to pick up.....
Jim

a while ago u posted a pic of all your cars. I cant find it. Would you mind sharing it again? I loved seeing all those cars..

Chris