Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:03 PM

Default 1993 MSHP SSP P993 plate 666-HP

Figured it was time for me to start a thread on my most recent acquisition / project, which is 1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang Inventory Number P993 with Plate Number 666-HP. It currently has 69,890 original miles on this SSP.

For reference, the following is a link to another thread where this one was posted about over the past couple of years citing eBay listings during that time http://specialservicemustang.net/for...ead.php?t=5674 .

This 1993 Special Service Package Mustang was originally purchased and owned by the Missouri State Highway Patrol (MSHP). Its' inventory unit number was P993 and license plate number was 666-HP. During its' life with the MSHP, this vehicle was assigned to Sergeant Larry Varner (badge #666), who retired as a Lieutenant with the MSHP in the Gaming Division.

My SSP Mustang went into service with the MSHP service March 18, 1993 until January 10, 1995 with 50,602 miles. It was 1 of 25 the MSHP ordered in 1993 and 1 of 3 in Silver Metallic exterior with Ruby Red interior. Interestingly enough, it was also 1 of 21 out of all 1993 Mustangs with this specific Paint/Trim Codes. The entire time it was in service, it was assigned to then Sergeant Larry Varner out of Troop F Jefferson City. Quite a number of in service pictures exist of the car, including a half dozen or so I'd never viewed before that were taken by the purchaser of it from the MSHP, who took pictures of the vehicle inside and outside (including of the Trooper with the car) on the actual day it was taken out of service. Having interior in-service pics of it was a wonderful surprise as it answers a few detail questions that were Trooper discretion items when the MSHP equipped the 1993 SSPs

On July 24, 2016, I purchased this SSP from an individual in New Bedford, MA where it had been for the prior 15 years. It was purchased from the MSHP for $9,000 on 1/11/95 with 50,602 miles (just over 19,000 miles have been added to this SSP over 21 years) by another well know hobbyist, who was a Morgan County Deputy Sheriff. For the most part, the current equipment configuration is what he used with it while in service wit the Morgan Counter Sheriff Department. The last owner added the incorrect lightbar on top of the SSP. I also have interior and exterior in service pictures of it as a Morgan County Sheriff Department SSP.

I am going to return it to correct in service specifications. Luckily I already had some (not all tough to find items) so have had a head start acquiring the various items needed. At this time, I nearly have all of the various items required to return it to correct in service specifications. Correct emblems have also been acquired from the MSHP's Emblem Supplier and have already been installed on this SSP. The last notable item for me to have in my possession is a correctly configured lightbar to 1993 MSHP SSP specifications. I have already purchased a very nice Code 3 lightbar and it is currently with an individual in Oregon who I have previously used to correctly rebuild a Code 3 lightbar for me. He does great work, and will no doubt do an excellent job with this lightbar. I anticipate being "completed" this Fall and it will then lead a quiet life of a show vehicle that honors the MSHP and law enforcement.

I will periodically update this thread with my progress. Thank you.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 08-05-2016, 10:08 PM

Default In-service pics...Missouri State Highway Patrol

Here are in-service pics of this vehicle with the Missouri State Highway Patrol...

https://public.fotki.com/MOstang/mus...ri-state-high/

Some are well know photos, while you have likely never viewed a number of others that were taken on the last day it was in service (by the first owner after the MSHP). The radar was already removed from the SSP. The MSHP custom radar bracket is still visible in those interior pics, and it stayed with the vehicle and is in it to this day. The repeater antenna behind the rear seat by the rear radar antenna bracket (minus the radar antenna) is also visible in applicable interior pics and is also still with the vehicle to this day.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:10 PM

Default In-service pics...Morgan County Sheriff Dept.

This link has pictures of it while a Morgan County Sheriff Department SSP after it left MSHP ownership...

https://public.fotki.com/MOstang/mus...-state-high-1/

One of the pictures includes other (year) MSHP SSPs that were bought and also used for Morgan County Sheriff Department service.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:09 AM

Mike, FYI the links only work if you have a Fotki account. Can I add some of them to the page for your SSP in the VIN Project?

Congrats on the SSP!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 08-06-2016, 10:39 AM

Pics were to big to attac here. I can email some to you. Thanks.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:13 AM

Adjusted my setting too, Bill, so anyone should be able view pics. If not, please let me know...thanks.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:03 PM

Wow Mike! I love history on cars and this is exceptional history!!!
Old 08-09-2016, 09:54 PM

Thanks!

Had an excellent conversation this evening with the retired assigned Trooper. A hobby friend used a Trooper friend of his to facilitate the connection. He's very excited about my project and looks forward to seeing it when I trailer to KC for next summer MCA show. Ironically he was Zone Sgt. with this SSP covering small town I went to college and he worked that area all the time while I was in college.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:39 PM

Default Origin of 666 assignment

I always wondered how the assignment of badge # 666 came about, and now I know, directly from the assigned Trooper . When he entered the academy on March 1,1970, a bulletin board included a list of vacant badge numbers listed in numerical order. Along side each of the numbers, was the name of the respective recruit listed alphabetically. And it just so happened 666 was the badge number assigned to him. It was apparently a rather new number at the time, and the original person who had the number resiged after a couple of years. The Trooper assigned to my MSHP SSP held badge number 666 the longest in patrol history, with 30 years. And yes, having that number (also listed on the license plate) proved to be popular among the public.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:38 PM

Cool info!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!