Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2008, 04:57 PM
The White Fred Sanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
My point exactly....actual police vehicles, meaning those currently used by law enforcement officials. The 'out of service" covers are manufactured for that reason.

To me, once the car leaves service, and is in civilian hands, it's better to be completely clear with whatever wording you use. I threw out the "show car" as an example. It doesn't give anyone the impression that they can make-up a police car, no more than you driving around your car with the lightbar exposed would, but people are going to do whatever they want to anyhow.
I agree with you.....but the show car idea has already surfaced. I had someone come to me and ask if they could just make a "show car" police replica out of any car...in this case it was a '76 Corvette that he wanted to paint up like a CHP and put a light bar on. He didn't know any better so I just told him "No, you can't do that....it must be an official retired vehicle"....the LAST thing we all need is a bunch of idiots running around with Toyota Supra or Cadillac Police cars for whatever reason they want to do it. Granted this is probably a small minority but we already know there are a lot of stupid people out there. As it is I already tell kids that ask me "I didn't know you could have a car like that" that you can't, you have to have a permit and register it with Police and that pretty much ends the conversation.

The other thing I have seen that bothers me is young kids becoming a volunteer firefighter just so they can put a red light up on their dash. I've seen a couple of them pulled over and ticketed here because they think it gives them the right to do 80mph in a 30 when they get a call.