Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:19 PM

Steve,

Don't bother with CarFax. I ran your VIN, but there were no records after 2001.

Date.......Mileage. Source.................Comments:
06/09/1982..........NICB...................Vehicle manufactured and shipped to original dealer

09/11/1997..........CA Motor Vehicle Dept..Title issued or updated

12/26/2000......88..CA Inspection Station..Failed emissions inspection
....................Twain Harte, CA

12/26/2000..........Service Facility.......Vehicle serviced

02/01/2001...1,053..Service Facilitye......Vehicle serviced

02/05/2001...1,072..Service Facility.......Vehicle serviced

02/05/2001..........CA Inspection Station..Passed emissions inspection

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:45 PM

Thanks Bill. I have the name of the facility in Sonora it was last serviced at, and I am going to contact them later.

FWIW, attached are the assignment card scans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E870255-1 086.jpg (89.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg E870255-2 087.jpg (92.3 KB, 67 views)
Old 07-25-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I ran the VIN through the California smog check database and it came up. It was smogged in February, 2001 in Sonora, CA. It passed. So I know at least at that time it still existed and was in California.
It may very well still be up in that area and currently registered too. As long as there has been no change of ownership, it won't show up in the smog database as biennial registration certificates are not required in Tuolumne County. I'd start my search in Twain Harte and work out from there. Good places to start contacting are local car clubs, auto parts stores and garages. Try to make contact with anyone who might remember seeing, hearing about, having serviced or knows someone who owns or had owned an ex-CHP/police/cop Mustang.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 07-25-2011, 05:01 PM

Wow, they paid a whole $225 to repaint your car. Perfect illustration of what you got with that service - not much!

The installation of a vinyl top is interesting, wonder how many of those they did?
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 07-25-2011, 05:04 PM

I think the number shown in the row for a vinyl top is actually the total $$$ spent on the vehicle reconditioning/repaint.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 07-25-2011, 05:07 PM

Correct. Mine is the same. The paint and repairs add up to the vinyl top price.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 07-25-2011, 05:18 PM

Default Update: The Search Has Ended

Well, the search for 870255 has come to an end. Didn't take long; the vehicle still exists---or at least part of it does.

I called the shop that last smogged the veh in 2001, and they were able to put me in touch with the owner. I called and talked with him, and he still has the car. Or what's left of it.

A number of years ago, he was driving on a mountain road at night when a fox ran out into the road into his path. He swerved to avoid it and struck a concrete utility fixture, severely damaging the body and suspension. Being unibody construction, there wasn't much he could do with the body. He pulled out all the running gear and put it into another 1982 Mustang body. He says it was a lot of work, but he liked the car so much he did it. Along the way, the car has been through three transmissions and two differentials. Yeah, they had fun with it (sounds like they ran it a lot harder than I did). He bought the car from his Nephew for $300 in 2000. Can you imagine that?

Anyway, I am going to visit him, see the car, and show him the pics. But at this point, I'm not feeling like trying to buy it or do anything with it. I think a completely new body takes it out of the restoration realm. Really, only the engine is the same at this point. I juts don't see how it can be worth it.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Admin

I'm glad you were able to find out about the car, but sad that the news wasn't better. If anyone deserved to find and restore it, it was definitely you.

Appropriate that it was another story from you as well.

I'd try to buy it, just for the engine. I'd clean it up, mount it on an engine stand, and keep it in my garage on display.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 07-25-2011, 07:17 PM

I am really sorry about that. I suppose the chances were slim that any of it still existed but I do hope you get to salvage something from it, if not the whole car. Best of luck.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
I'd try to buy it, just for the engine. I'd clean it up, mount it on an engine stand, and keep it in my garage on display.
I tend to agree, but you'll need to see the car for yourself to determine if you think the damage is repairable or not. Bring your camera with you to take pictures. It is a very special car to you, so you will need to determine how much you're willing to take on. If it is too far gone, ask the seller for a momento.