Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Restoration-related Equipment Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Restoration-related Equipment Tech Any questions or information about any period-correct resto equipment (ie. switchboxes, lights, radios).

Old 06-21-2023, 07:10 AM

Lightbulb Texas DPS trunk lid gun mounts (rack)

Recently I have acquired a 93 TX DPS.

Upon doing some research, reading many threads and seeing many online images of TX DPS units (restored by others), on the underside of the trunk lid there are (2) black mounts for a long gun.

In the TX unit I have purchased, there was only (1) remaining mount on the trunk lid and on the driver side. Prior owner received the car as such.

So when I received the car, I wanted the missing mount and didn't have anything to go by, other than just a visual, size and shape. Even searching on here and the other SSP site, I saw no reference to the distributor or maker of these mounts. As I continued my research, I figured let me see if there are any gun mounts on eBay. I just used generic terms and during my very tedious searches (I used many different terms and wild cards etc), I hit on an item that looked the same, but I was not sure if it was what I needed. So I matched the advertised images to the remaining mount in the trunk and BINGO, to my surprise I had found the exact mounts!

Not only did I find the exact mounts, but they were NOS still sealed in the box!

For anyone restoring a TX DPS that had trunk mounted long gun racks, here is the info you need:

Maker/Distributor:
San Angelo Co. Inc.
P.O. Box 984
San Angelo, TX 76901

Part Num:
"No. 5"

Description on box:
Trunk Lid Gun Rack

Quantity in box:

---

There isn't any Copyright date on the box so I cannot period date the box, however I have seen (2) different versions of the box, but with same contents. Also the address listed above is from the box, I did not research the Company or confirm their existence in 2023.

Attached are images of the item (still sealed). Hopefully this will help anyone in the future who is restoring a TX DPS and needs the same part(s).

As far as mounting, I have seen these mounted vertically and also diagonally - so there isn't any clear confirmation as to which is "correct". I'm assuming like with equipment installed, the orientation was up to the installer...

During my search, since these are vintage and hard to find, price point was in the $50-$90 range (with shipping) depending on who was selling and if there's a sealed box, open box or no box at all.
1994 Cobra Coupe SVT #13
2018 EB Fastback w/PP
Old 06-24-2023, 10:15 AM

Great post!

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 06-26-2023, 07:34 PM

Thanks for posting that!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!