Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:18 PM

I've heard that s/n's in the 2300 range are showing up at dealers right now with production only about 4 weeks old. Using those numbers, I could end up with a s/n somewhere in the 5000-6000 range but that's just a guess at this point. Too many variables to know for sure.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 01-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Admin

Job 2 was at the beginning of December.

I'm not sure how they number these things...number 2246, very close to mine by VIN, was sold to a guy over on TMS. Then there are other VINs, equally close to me, in the low-mid 500 range.

I have seen lots of complaints from guys who ordered early on, like I did, and have been waiting for the cars to arrive, while cars ordered by the dealers for stock started hitting showrooms back in December. Numbers 3, 4, 7, and a couple of other low-numbered cars went this way (and some were on eBay).

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 01-21-2008, 12:14 AM

Yeah, I'm sure there was some shenanigans involved with the early production units. But now that it's clear that these limited edition cars are not going to be bringing in any immediate big premiums, things have returned to some kind of normalcy. Still, the whole serial number scheme being employed seems to be a mystery. I personally don't care what number I end up with just as long as I get the car!
1988 CHP #3035

Old 01-21-2008, 09:26 PM
**No Longer a Registered Member**

First...Dealers, like myself, submitted orders early with a Retail customer name attached. Then asked the Region to give top priority to the order. Based on several factors I can't put in print...dealers got their vehicles scheduled. The key is to place orders on the day the order bank will start accepting orders....then politic to get it pulled ASAP.

Second...It is my understanding that unlike Shelby, who could control the build one at a time, Bullitts are done in house by Ford, and no special priority was given to attaching the numbered plates to the strut brace in any sequence. My Bullitt arrived last week was number 6XX (i'm at home and don't recall the number)...but was probably built close to yours Mike.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP55 View Post
First...Dealers, like myself, submitted orders early with a Retail customer name attached. Then asked the Region to give top priority to the order. Based on several factors I can't put in print...dealers got their vehicles scheduled. The key is to place orders on the day the order bank will start accepting orders....then politic to get it pulled ASAP.

Second...It is my understanding that unlike Shelby, who could control the build one at a time, Bullitts are done in house by Ford, and no special priority was given to attaching the numbered plates to the strut brace in any sequence. My Bullitt arrived last week was number 6XX (i'm at home and don't recall the number)...but was probably built close to yours Mike.
David,

Are you saying that these dealers made up "retail" customer names in order to get these scheduled?

I'm with Mike C....not concerned about the number, just waiting for the car. Mine was built Jan 2, so part of the delay for me has been shipping. Looks like tomorrow may be the day.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 01-22-2008, 09:44 AM

The first one our dealer had was number 2** but was Black. For some stupid reason they ordered a few Black ones. In 2001 the dealer had sold over 20 of them. Doing dealer trades with ones that could not move them.

Tom
Old 01-22-2008, 01:48 PM

The dealer I bought from ordered two for stock, a green and a black. The green one will be here any day but they won't be getting the black one at all. They changed that order two days after it was placed to retail and reconfigured it to be my car.

I have yet to see a black '08 Bullitt in person but on Sunday I did see my first green one on the road. Oh man, it's going to be a LONG 8 weeks!
1988 CHP #3035

Old 01-22-2008, 01:57 PM

Mike M.......I'm saying what was posted....PM to you !!!

When you get your car...take a mirror and slide it under the strut tower brace where the Plate is attached........!!!!
Old 01-22-2008, 02:40 PM

BTW....my Bullitt was produced on 12/14/07.... plaque number is 2186. This reinforces the fact that numbered plaques were applied in no particular order.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP55 View Post
BTW....my Bullitt was produced on 12/14/07.... plaque number is 2186. This reinforces the fact that numbered plaques were applied in no particular order.
Hmmm....this was posted today by a moderator over at the IMBOC board on the subject:

"I just got the following info regarding the 08 numbering plates:

The plates are numbered on the assembly line before being put on the car. There is a machine that provides the next sequential number (yes consecutive order) as the next Bullitt comes down the line along with the VIN. They are lazer etched into the Bullitt plate. The plates will be impossible to duplicate, but why is a trade secret."

Still mystifying.
1988 CHP #3035