Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by svopaul View Post
I have 2 SSP's...one IS modified and the other will be a stock restoration. I never talk about the modified one simply because the general "Air" around any SSP site is that it is taboo....which is ashame. Mine while looking totally stock is getting improvements that "I" want so that "I" can enjoy "MY" car....the minute someone tells me what I should do with "MY" car I think I'll act the same way. For this part of the Mustang Hobby it really should be looked at how some things like this come across. There are purists but you MUST understand that not everyone IS a purist and has other interests. I agree a car like this '84 is best served by restoration to original simply because of the limited numbers but forcing that down someones throat will only result in a negative response.
This particular website does cater to "purist" types, but I can't agree with the "general air" comment. A modified car, that would have otherwise been parted or scrapped or otherwise not saved, is better than the alternative. We are here to preserve as many of these cars as possible, whatever way possible. Now...if someone shows up here talking about hacking up an original, survivor (much like the '84 FHP), despite being educated on what the car is, rarity, etc. that's a different situation altogether.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 04-15-2007, 01:06 AM
UASSP

Here is my opinion. We have been down this road before. Why do people get involved with this site when it appears that we are known as purists and talk of chopping up an SSP for purposes other than restoration? I know for sure that other Mustang, or other collector car segments for that matter, don't take kindly to this sort of banter. Why do they then try to make us feel bad for standing firm on our beliefs? I don't understand. My car is 100% original. Why would I want to change it? If I wanted a "hot rod" Mustang, I would get one. There are a zillion other groups that speak to the hot rod world. Sure we are going to become upset. And why wouldn't we?
Old 04-15-2007, 01:09 AM
UASSP

Now doesn't that look nice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11-Summer2004019.jpg (150.9 KB, 75 views)
Old 04-15-2007, 12:23 PM

your car looks great Joe !!!

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 04-15-2007, 04:21 PM

That is one hell of a nice Texas DPS car .. what year is that?
Old 04-15-2007, 05:52 PM
VASCAR collector

Joe's car is an '87. I remember when we took that picture, still looks that good!!
Old 04-16-2007, 09:20 AM
The White Fred Sanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
Did the guy that offered you $5000 for your car know you paid $1200, probably not. If he did know he would have offered considerably less, unless he had to have the car. The 84 FHP that Alan has is worth around $3500 to me, that's about how much I planned to bid on it. It may have been worth $5000 to somebody else, but knowing he paid $3500 for it. I doubt somebody would give him $6000 for it. Unless they had to have it, I don't.
Yes, as a matter of fact he did know exactly what I paid for the car...I have made no secret about it. So your assumption is incorrect....He wants a 94-95 GT vert specifically and he thought he could talk me out of it with cash.

Point being that I like Alan wanted the car so there was no sense in dumping something you want but everything has a price and apparently that was his. If it's not for sale or not a fire sale then it makes no difference of the price paid because it doesn't "Have" to be sold.

The car may well be worth 3500 to you.....it's worth less to me because I don't care for the early 4 eye coupes but that's you and that's me....there is likely someone out there who will pay the asking price for it but the pool of potential buyers gets significantly smaller the higher the price goes.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:29 AM
The White Fred Sanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
This particular website does cater to "purist" types, but I can't agree with the "general air" comment. A modified car, that would have otherwise been parted or scrapped or otherwise not saved, is better than the alternative. We are here to preserve as many of these cars as possible, whatever way possible. Now...if someone shows up here talking about hacking up an original, survivor (much like the '84 FHP), despite being educated on what the car is, rarity, etc. that's a different situation altogether.
This site hasn't been around long enough to match the "general air" comment but many members are the same on other sites so the feeling is still there that it is taboo. Your outlook above is the exact outlook that needs to be taken with this but often on the net we see people trashed for having a modified SSP and the origination or history of the car isn't even known to justify that trashing. That sort of thing just isn't good for the hobby in general. A car saved from being scrapped even if modified at least has the chance to be restored to stock by someone later since it still exists.

The impression out this is what it is.....I got the latest issue of 5.0 magazine and saw a Texas SSP with 4 cam 4.6 and other mods and immediately thought "The ssp guys are going to tear this guy apart".....Now not everyone has the purist outlook that made me think this but there is a good majority that are vocal about it and that is what gives the impression about this corner of the hobby.

We in the SVO hobby were labeled "Headlight polishers" years ago which was really pretty funny considering that every director of the club had a modified SVO so if that label can be used in that situation you can imagine the impression the SSP group gets when people get torn apart for having or even mentioning modding an SSP. While it may not be "recommended" by the group, it shouldn't be cause for a noose.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:35 AM
The White Fred Sanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaspony87 View Post
Here is my opinion. We have been down this road before. Why do people get involved with this site when it appears that we are known as purists and talk of chopping up an SSP for purposes other than restoration? I know for sure that other Mustang, or other collector car segments for that matter, don't take kindly to this sort of banter. Why do they then try to make us feel bad for standing firm on our beliefs? I don't understand. My car is 100% original. Why would I want to change it? If I wanted a "hot rod" Mustang, I would get one. There are a zillion other groups that speak to the hot rod world. Sure we are going to become upset. And why wouldn't we?

Sure and that is yours and many others opinions but just like religion....is it right to shove your belief's down other peoples throat? Has anyone every just jumped down your throat about installing a set of headers on your SSP?IMO there is room for everyone in this hobby from stock restorations to modified....every modified car makes yours worth more to the purist end of the market but at least they aren't junked. Someone can be an SSP enthusiast and still have a modified car...just as much of an enthusiast as you are only on a different level. Methodist or Catholic.....both have the same goal and they can get along without telling each other they are going to hell but they have a different version of beliefs.....Same thing with a guy into stock SSP's and one into modified SSP's.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Resident Geezer

Isn't six pages of this enough? Let's move on.

'89 FHP Unit # 435 (Deceased)
'89 FHP Unit # 1526 Troop H (Madison)SOLD 12/3/13
'89 SCHP Marked Unit # 2-12-80 SOLD 6/21/15
'88 SCHP Unmarked Unit # 2-12-23 SOLD 9/3/12
'90 MSHP Marked Unit # P-162 Plate # 642-HP SOLD 12/17/11
'88 MSHP Marked Unit # P-162 Plate # 642
Closed Thread