Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:35 PM

Default What does the future hold?

I'm just thinking out loud. Everyone here understands the history of the SSP's, and how unique they are being a special option designed for the rigors of police use.

Today, Ford no longer offers a special option Mustang for police service, yet the production version of the S197 Mustangs are being pressed into service by various police departments. Indiana has a reported 40 GT Mustangs on patrol, with more supposedly to be purchased. Other departments are also starting to use these Mustangs too.

We've had some good debate about desirability of SSP's. Is a fully documented and restored SSP worth more than a low mileage SSP that was never placed in service? (rhetorical question guys). Yes, the 6-digit DSO is one of the things that sets our cars apart as SSP, but it's the history of these cars that makes them appealing to so many of us.

So what will happen when these new S197 Mustangs come out of service? Specifically, will the owners of these unique Mustangs be welcomed on the two main SSP forums? True, they were not specially built or have any distinguishing features like the original SSP's, but their time in-service matches that of many of our cars. And in this modern era of information, they will likely be sold with plenty of documentation.

So will we welcome these owners and make a place (sub-section) for them when the time comes? Or should we keep things as they are? Just wanted to put that out there for discussion...

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 05-01-2010, 05:16 PM

Since this site was born out of members interest in the 1982 to 1993 mustang police package cars I would expect it to remain true to the heritage. Already anyone can join regardless of what kind of car they have, or whether or not they have an SSP.

I for one would not be interested in creating new forums, (example Nascar) that have nothing to do with the purpose I am here. The focus of this site is ssp mustangs and when you start adding nonsensical garbage like camaros, nascar, and facebooking options IMO it just takes away from the focus of this site which is the 82 - 93 cars.

CopCar.com however would be a perfect spot for someone who owns a 2008 Mustang that was used for patrol by XYZ PD. The cars are unique and of course owners of them are welcome here, but if it aint an 82 - 93 it aint an SSP.

In reality the site is owned by Imevil so in the end it will be his decision which way we go.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 05-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Admin

Personally, I'd like to keep things like they are. I agree with what you wrote, Bill, about the historical issues with the cars, but I do not agree with the restoration of any late-model police car. The guys over at Copcar.com have had similar discussions about the same issues with cars that are still in-service or look like they could be. We also had issues on another website with guys who wanted to deck out 3 yr old Crown Vics with strobes and blue lights for "shows". IMHO, the only shows guys like those need to attend are the ones like Johnny Cash used to put on at Folsom.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 05-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Goodwill Ambassador

Smile

I agree with Mike and Jim....posting just above. Stay focused.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:46 AM

See, this is the type of discussion I was looking for. Kinda like a few guys standing around the garage drinking a beer or two after completing a project and talking 'bout cars, benchracing, etc. The conversation usually tends to meander a bit too.

I hadn't considered the association of 'restoring' a soon out-of-service S197 Mustang in the same light as the wannabee guys who drive around in their unmarked CVPI's trying to act out their unrealized dreams of being a real LEO. But it is a good point. On another subject, it will be interesting to see how the collector market responds to these out-of-service S197 Mustangs.

Knowing the Mission Statement here (Dedicated to the promotion, protection, and restoration of the 1982-1993 Special Service Police Mustang.), I kinda knew how my original post would follow, but I felt it was a good topic of discussion that was somewhat SSP-related. I hope the discussion continues...

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
See, this is the type of discussion I was looking for. Kinda like a few guys standing around the garage drinking a beer or two after completing a project and talking 'bout cars, benchracing, etc. The conversation usually tends to meander a bit too.
Amen.

Quote:
I hadn't considered the association of 'restoring' a soon out-of-service S197 Mustang in the same light as the wannabee guys who drive around in their unmarked CVPI's trying to act out their unrealized dreams of being a real LEO. But it is a good point. On another subject, it will be interesting to see how the collector market responds to these out-of-service S197 Mustangs.
That made for a good laugh! Unfortunately, a reality in this hobby. I really do think that *collectively* we do a pretty good job of keeping that garbage to a minimum, but there are those still out there running "code" to imaginary emergencies.

Quote:
Knowing the Mission Statement here (Dedicated to the promotion, protection, and restoration of the 1982-1993 Special Service Police Mustang.), I kinda knew how my original post would follow, but I felt it was a good topic of discussion that was somewhat SSP-related. I hope the discussion continues...
Same here.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 05-03-2010, 12:44 PM

I agree this is a very interesting thread...thanks for posting it Bill. Everyone above makes great points on the topic. It seems to me the risk for diluting the focus becomes too great once you start to stray from the mission. That being said I would certainly welcome anyone who shares our common interest of the Ford Mustangs.

I would share the concerns expressed above about those with modern Mustangs "dollying" them up to replicate the car's previous police use or just doing it because "it's cool". Sure I would be interested in any past police history but they are new/modern like a CVI with too much risk looking like other in-service cars. Remember the fellow out west who made a clone of the Transformers Mustang to impress his young child. That car attracted all kinds of unwanted attention from media, police, municipalities and civilians, which is something we need to be on guard against for our hobby. Too many already think someone with an SSP is in the wannabee category and this sort of thing only perpetuates that attitude. Like Mike said we do a pretty good job in the hobby of "policing" oursleves (sorry for the pun) and need to be cautious of providing fodder for others.

Thanks again for the great topic. I hope the dialogue continues and we get to read more from others.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 05-03-2010, 02:14 PM

how about the guy that was posting up about "running hot" to "emergency lockouts". That is the kind of crap we DON'T need to do with a retired SSP mustang. But hey.... emrgency locksmith duty can be an exciting gig when you can do it running code ???

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 05-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOstang View Post
I agree this is a very interesting thread...thanks for posting it Bill. Everyone above makes great points on the topic. It seems to me the risk for diluting the focus becomes too great once you start to stray from the mission. That being said I would certainly welcome anyone who shares our common interest of the Ford Mustangs.
I agree....I think we do a pretty decent job of that here, while still trying to get the preservation message out.

Quote:
I would share the concerns expressed above about those with modern Mustangs "dollying" them up to replicate the car's previous police use or just doing it because "it's cool". Sure I would be interested in any past police history but they are new/modern like a CVI with too much risk looking like other in-service cars. Remember the fellow out west who made a clone of the Transformers Mustang to impress his young child. That car attracted all kinds of unwanted attention from media, police, municipalities and civilians, which is something we need to be on guard against for our hobby. Too many already think someone with an SSP is in the wannabee category and this sort of thing only perpetuates that attitude. Like Mike said we do a pretty good job in the hobby of "policing" oursleves (sorry for the pun) and need to be cautious of providing fodder for others.

Thanks again for the great topic. I hope the dialogue continues and we get to read more from others.
That's a great point. It's embarassing to hear (and see) some of the stories associated with those that act that way, whether in SSPs or other police cars. It is exactly "fodder" for others at best, and violations of the law at worst. It's the same everywhere, though...the actions of the minority few who act unprofessionally cause problems for the majority who are respectful of the hobby and have good intentions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
how about the guy that was posting up about "running hot" to "emergency lockouts". That is the kind of crap we DON'T need to do with a retired SSP mustang. But hey.... emrgency locksmith duty can be an exciting gig when you can do it running code ???
That was a while ago and certainly not posted on this website....

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 05-04-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Even though I brought it up on both SSP sites, your statement in bold is how I was looking at the subject as it relates to this site. Only knowing a small part of the history that caused this site to be born, it is apparent that the preservation of SSP's is the main focus here. So adding a sub-section for other police vehicles may not be the best course of action at this site. But the discussion has been positive, and if anything it helps reinforce the mission of this site IMO.