Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:11 PM

No Joe there is no misunderstanding here. You say some local officers want to see the car and you went to or are going to the police station to show it to them. Thats fine because there will be real officers there in the presence of a marked unit with a operating siren. Heck at my department we would probably appreciate your work and effort you have in the car. But I can tell you most if not all would tell you to loose the siren.

Now in ref to entering a show or fairground. That my friend is a public place and I don't care if it is rented out for a show. The public in general has no idea that these cars are show only. I mean come on they still look new enough to be in service. its not like your driving a 57 Chevy here.
And just imagine pulling into a public venue playing with your toy siren for attention purposes and a local just got mugged at the show and they run to what they perceive a real police car with working siren pulling into the event.
What cha gonna do when this shit happens cause in the real police world everything happens. Play time over then huh.
Understanding what the car represents is the part I think your missing.
Its a cool car you have and this is a great hobby but as a civi you have to realize your walking a fine line with some officers as to being a hobbyist or a wanna be.
I'll let you decide which one you want to be.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:13 PM

The car looks great, glad all the equipment came in handy.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:14 PM
'88 MA & '90 TX SSP's

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
Lets put this one to bed and get back to what we do best here........enjoying special service mustangs.
Agreed! As mentioned, I enjoy reading the opinions and thoughts of everyone here. Someone once told me that Aristotle once said, "Everyone learns through discussion." Once again, thank you for all your posts!

Added: and thanks again 86NeSSP!
1989 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatch w/36K All Original
1989 Mustang GT Conv. RARE W/OUT FACTORY A/C
http://www.5pt0joe.com
Old 05-06-2009, 11:22 PM

Its cool Joe. Your probably a great guy and I'm glad your understanding what some are saying.
Time to move on, nothing to see here.

Joe
Old 05-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Admin

Joe,

Let's quote a few more lines from one of your posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pt0Joe View Post
So for the first few, I'll be chirping the siren a few times on entry, but after that, probably won't go on unless it is my first time at that car show location or I have a new co-pilot (I usually bring one of four or five different people to shows), making it exciting for them. I don't mean for it to be annoying, just different! (That's me wearing the sunglasses...lol!)
That sounds pretty clear to me. Jim already covered it, but I didn't feel like editing my whole post.

The problem of inappropriate use of the e-equipment/markings, as Jim also mentioned in his post, is limited to only a few of the many enthusiasts who participate in this hobby. It wasn't directed at you, but you certainly fell into that category when you posted about how cool David P.'s entrance into that particular car show was.

I wasn't there, I didn't see it, and he is denying doing it in his post over on ORG. I've seen the pictures of the "parking lot light shows" posted up over there, as well as the mock "crime scene" dead-body outline from the last big show before the 45th. These were done in public (or semi-public) places, and are clearly examples of what we are talking about here. Not only is it disrespectful on many levels, but could be illegal (depending on the cirumstances) and is just plain wrong. What if one of these guys caused a traffic accident because someone looked over to see what was going on? Or, like BHPD mentioned, you find yourself in the middle of a situation that you are neither trained or prepared to deal with in any way, shape or form?

You didn't answer my question the first time, so I'll ask it again. What gives you the right to play with your lights and siren?

Bottom line, you don't have to be a cop or in LE to have fun in this hobby. It is super-important for us all, though, to represent the hobby in the best possible light at all times. "Chirping" the siren, "light shows", and the like are not getting the job done.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 05-06-2009, 11:34 PM
'88 MA & '90 TX SSP's

BHPD356, thanks for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
What gives you the right to play with your lights and siren?
Answer: The fact that I own them. It's just how I use them that makes the difference.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Admin

Quote:
BHPD356, thanks for the kind words!

Answer: The fact that I own them. It's just how I use them that makes the difference.
Wow....you handled the majority of the discussion like an adult, so that one surprises me a little.

What you do in the privacy of your own home is your business. What you do in public, and post about on this forum, is ours.

I hope you listen and understand (read: comprehend) what we're talking about here, and take it to heart.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 05-07-2009, 01:08 AM
'88 MA & '90 TX SSP's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
Wow....you handled the majority of the discussion like an adult, so that one surprises me a little.
It shows a lot of respect making that comment and also some other comments mentioned above. Please know that the respect is both ways. Although I'm 23-years old, I'm sure when anyone here meets me in person for the first time, you'll probably think otherwise. I don't even look my age!
Old 05-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Admin

Quote:
It shows a lot of respect making that comment and also some other comments mentioned above. Please know that the respect is both ways. Although I'm 23-years old, I'm sure when anyone here meets me in person for the first time, you'll probably think otherwise. I don't even look my age!
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, since you seemed to be discussing the issue fine up until that point.

You made some comments, got called out, and backtracked a little. It's no big deal.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 05-07-2009, 12:20 PM
'88 MA & '90 TX SSP's

Thank you. I just prefer the word "use," not "play." Sorry if anyone got confused or took that comment the wrong way. Once again, thanks to all who have shared their comments, concerns, and thoughts. I truly do appreciate it. Please feel free to follow the continual restoration at my website, which I plan to update again tomorrow night.