Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:07 PM
'88 MA & '90 TX SSP's

Default Lights, Camera, Action!

Well, as many of you know, I officially brought my TX DPS home exactly one year ago a week from this coming Thursday! It is my first SSP and I wanted to take the restoration slow, having just graduated from college three days before leaving for KS to pick it up, knowing of my student loans ahead of me. It was my TX DPS's first car show last father's day and I met (in person) David P. As he was driving his CHP in, he activated the sirens and immediately, everyone turned in wonder. When I drove in, I got looks, but he got stares! It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen, seeing what a quality show car can do at a car show both driving in and parked. I knew that someday, my TX DPS would get to that point. Although I can't say I'm there yet, I am one step closer. Originally, I was going to keep it all black and the only non-TX correct thing I was going to do (besides paint scheme) was add LED's to make it look like a modern unmarked unit. Since purchasing the MA SSP, I decided to go 100% TX correct instead of 90%, allowing me to have one marked and one unmarked SSP, both 100% era-and-agency-correct.

LIGHTS... but no siren yet! (In the next few days! )

The front of the TX DPS has correct Whelen front red and blue strobes on an original (not a reproduction) mounting bracket made specifically for the TX DPS Highway Patrol.

The rear deck of the TX DPS... pictured is NOS correct red and blue halogens, correct functioning rear BEE radar antenna, newer non-period correct CB antenna (middle of the trunk), and the correct, very hard to find white antenna base for scanner and radio antenna.

CAMERA...
Video coming soon! Hopefully tonight, but if not, will be tomorrow!

ACTION...
Putting it on the road tomorrow and the first "official" public appearance will be at the Mustang Car Club of New England members-only road trip to the Ford Memorabilia Museum (no lights or sirens), but the debut of the lights will be at the Memorial Day parades, but getting even more technical, my first "everything activated" car cruise will be the one at the end of the month in Framingham, MA! I can't wait!!!

Yes, I am more than a little excited right now... and I mean that in a non-sexual way
1989 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatch w/36K All Original
1989 Mustang GT Conv. RARE W/OUT FACTORY A/C
http://www.5pt0joe.com
Old 05-04-2009, 09:09 PM
'88 MA & '90 TX SSP's

And the inside... please pardon the mess, as I haven't tied down all the wires and such

The interior of the TX DPS... correct BEE antenna and display, "aftermarket" light switch box, correct Motorola Syntor PA/radio/scanner/siren control unit, and newer CB (part can be seen at the bottom). Not pictured is the two mic's and radar remote control, but they will be mounted soon.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:20 PM

Question

Hey when you say MA SSP do you mean Massachusettes state police?
Old 05-04-2009, 09:22 PM
'88 MA & '90 TX SSP's

Yes, it is the MA State Police. They abbreviate it MSP, but since there are more Michigan SSP's around, I don't like to get them confused! Although I really shouldn't say MA SSP, as there are MA State Police and MA Turnpike Authority SSP's. I can never win!
Old 05-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Admin

Your car looks great so far, and the fact that you are using the correct parts is commendable. Nice job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pt0Joe View Post
It was my TX DPS's first car show last father's day and I met (in person) David P. As he was driving his CHP in, he activated the sirens and immediately, everyone turned in wonder. When I drove in, I got looks, but he got stares!
Are you sure it was wonder?? Here's what I'd like you to try before doing this while driving a car into a car show: Turn your siren on, leave it on, and then walk over to the front of the car and stand there for a few seconds. You will quickly figure out that it is a very unpleasant sound, and not one that everyone wants to hear while they are walking into a car show.

My .02.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 05-05-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
And the inside... please pardon the mess, as I haven't tied down all the wires and such

The interior of the TX DPS... correct BEE antenna and display, "aftermarket" light switch box, correct Motorola Syntor PA/radio/scanner/siren control unit, and newer CB (part can be seen at the bottom). Not pictured is the two mic's and radar remote control, but they will be mounted soon.
Yo Joe....great to see you putting the TXDPS car back with the correct equipment. I have a couple of the original switch boxes that are marked "Texas Department of Public Safety". I will not need one for my 85 TXDPS car so I can spare one if you are interested.

On the subject of sirens and lights shows at car shows I tend to be a little more conservative. When it comes to the kids that want to see the lights and such at the shows I am all for being a positive influence. Seeing the little kids eyes light up and smiles is part of the fun at a car show, however using the lights and sirens to draw attention to yourself when you make the "big entrance" can tend to be obnoxious. I understand that some get enjoyment "running code" but for the general public at a car show the sirens are a definate distraction. On this site there are numerous current and retired LEO's who run code regularly so having to listen to sirens at a car show is not an enjoyable activity. The use of lights and sirens during a show sponsored "cruise event" is a common practice and more in keeping with the entertainment function i.e a parade etc. Any other use of lights and/or sirens when off show grounds is an obvious no-no due to most states laws prohibiting personating a police officer, not to mention the distraction it creates and other personal safety issues.

It is great to see that you are equipping the car correctly because it allows the heritage of the car to live on. Just remember that refinishing/restoring a car is just one small part of this hobby. Showing the car in a respectfull and courteous manner is just as important as it is a DIRECT reflection on ALL of us that enjoy special service mustangs. The things you say and do reflect on us all.

ok I am off of the soapbox now......enjoy the car and hope to see you at a show someday.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 PM

“It’s 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it’s dark, and we’re wearing sunglasses.”

Car looks cool Joe....Good work
Old 05-05-2009, 11:45 PM

Also, In most States it is illegal to eqip a car with a Siren including Texas.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:01 AM
'88 MA & '90 TX SSP's

Most of my excitement is from the expectations of people following the restoration of it. I could care less about the attention. It is mostly for the people I know seeing it for the first time at shows. Most of them would have the same reaction as I did when David drove in... "WOW!" Everytime I go to a show, I try to meet up with several others I know, whether they are showing a car or not. I use it as a social gathering and I've met and became friends with many people through conversing about my Mustangs, their Mustangs, or both. I like to think of my SSP as a conversation piece... very few people have one!

Last summer, I decided I wasn't going to do anything more than wig-wag lights and mounted (not plugged in) Motorola controller due to it being my daily driver. Many people in various Mustang clubs (member of four) keep asking about the resto process and expect to see it at shows ranging all different places around New England, as they are all awaiting the lights and siren to be functional. I'm sure that after a couple of car shows, it will get old since everyone would expect it when I arrive and the people who wanted to see it would have already at a previous car show. So for the first few, I'll be chirping the siren a few times on entry, but after that, probably won't go on unless it is my first time at that car show location or I have a new co-pilot (I usually bring one of four or five different people to shows), making it exciting for them. I don't mean for it to be annoying, just different! (That's me wearing the sunglasses...lol!)

You don't have to worry about me blasting the sirens and lighting up every place I go. I actually will not even use the siren in my own door yard, as I live right in the center of town. First place I will do it... at the local PD! They are all waiting for it! Parades, car shows, and cruises are all I plan on now that it isn't my daily driver!

Unless anyone is going to car shows in the northeast, plan on being able to see it in NC for the 2010 "Mustang at the Mansion!" It should be painted by then!

NoDrama43... I'll be PM'ing you regarding the light switch box in a few minutes!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Admin

Quote:
I'm sure that after a couple of car shows, it will get old since everyone would expect it when I arrive and the people who wanted to see it would have already at a previous car show. So for the first few, I'll be chirping the siren a few times on entry, but after that, probably won't go on unless it is my first time at that car show location or I have a new co-pilot (I usually bring one of four or five different people to shows), making it exciting for them. I don't mean for it to be annoying, just different! (That's me wearing the sunglasses...lol!)
It is already old for lots of people.

"Chirping" may as well be turning it on and leaving it on (read my post above a few more times if you didn't get it).

If your friends want excitement, have them do a ride-along with a real police officer. Or, they can always apply for a job, attend a police academy, and then get all the "excitment" they can handle for the next 20 years or so. (unless they get hurt or killed on the job).

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363