Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:12 PM

Thanks, That's kind of what I was thinking...but just a guess at this point...
Old 08-26-2015, 09:06 AM

More research leads me to believe this car was a LoJack car operating out of Tallahassee, not the LoJack equipped FHP 432 car, nor the FHP LoJack car pictured in real stories with the roof number ending in 99 (both operating out of Miami).........but rather, this car was likely unit 0048 operating out of the Tallahassee area and equipped with LoJack.......

The car was involved in one minor rear end collision, reported 1/26/1991, very early in its life. The search for more history continues.....
Old 08-26-2015, 05:21 PM

Mystery solved. I just spent 45 minutes on the phone speaking to the trooper who owned and drove my car in 1991+. The information he gave me, coupled with the carfax and auto check I ran...AND some one of a kind attributes of the car confirm that My car is in fact the other LoJack equipped car. More cool details to come....
Old 08-27-2015, 10:37 AM

Good deal Joe!! It's amazing that this car was sitting in Georgia at a car lot with all of the history that it has. I believe digging the history on these cars is as much fun as chasing Saleen coupes!

1992 GSP #2222 -- Badge #885 Post 45
Old 08-27-2015, 11:09 AM
Admin

Joe,

Glad you were able to get some info on your car from the original trooper. I've seen several of those Lo-Jack cars, including the one I originally did the screen-captures on from the Real Stories series. I don't believe that Lo-Jack had coverage in the N. Central FL area back then, as I contacted them about getting units for our cars and that's what I was told.

As for the unit number, never seen one written in the trunk. If your car has accident history, I'd chase that down. Several here (myself included) have had good luck pulling DHSMV crash reports and looking at our tag numbers (unit number).

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 08-27-2015, 04:21 PM

Trooper hidalgo confirmed that the car I have is his old car. He recalled the accident history and timelines that match the carfax and auto check records exactly. He also gave me additional details that further confirm definitively that this 89 was his car. Pretty cool. He serviced Miami with trooper brown who previously had unit 432. Trooper brown told the previous owner of 432 that the other LoJack car at the time was driven by trooper hidalgo, who actually had the first LoJack equipped unit. Speaking with trooper hidalgo directly, he advised me that he did in fact have the first LoJack car (his 1989), told me how he got the car and that trooper brown had the second LoJack car ...the only two at that time. He indicated that they were the beta testers and both worked Miami, trooper hidalgo being in troop E. Neat history....

I called dhsmv with two case numbers and they told me they only keep records back 10 years.

More to come...trooper hidalgo is looking for any old in-service pics...
Old 08-27-2015, 08:13 PM

UPDATE:

Trooper Tim Brown just called me after I emailed him my contact information. After discussion, Trooper Brown could not remember the unit number of my (trooper hidalgos) car but confirmed that the car I have is in fact trooper hidalgos car, being a 1989 and being equipped with LoJack. He also confirmed that trooper hidalgos unit was the first unit equipped with LoJack, and his unit 432 being the second. He also told
me he still has the 432 tag number and is willing to give it to Jonathan. I have his phone number to connect the two of them......

Trooper brown called trooper Ralph Lola while I was on the phone with him and asked if trooper Lola's car was equipped with LoJack by the time they were filming real stories of the highway patrol and asked him what his unit number was. Trooper Lola confirmed that his unit (#1609) was equipped with LoJack by that time. It appears that trooper Lola's unit is the other LoJack car pictured in real stories and the roof number ending in "9" seen in the picture is unit 1609.

Trooper Brown advised me that trooper hidalgos car (my 1989) was what he called an interstate car and was not working robbery when real stories was filmed. He also told me that the "interstate cars" were the "really fast ones". This lines up with a story that trooper hidalgo told me about chasing down an IROC that was "running" and that trooper hidalgo "hit 152mph......he didn't get away".

I still have not yet been able to confirm the unit number of trooper hidalgos car (my 1989) or the meaning of 0048 written in the trunk. The search continues....

Really cool new details found however. I don't believe that it was previously known that by the time of the filming of real stories of the highway patrol, that there were other LoJack equipped cars besides the first two "beta tests" described by both trooper hidalgo (#1) and trooper Brown (#2) and that the other LoJack car pictured in real stories is actually trooper Lola's car, also equipped with LoJack and the complete unit number of trooper Lola's car was 1609. Neat stuff....
Old 08-27-2015, 08:45 PM
Admin

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...read.php?t=999

Forgot to include this one earlier.....knew the names sounded familiar.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 08-27-2015, 09:37 PM

Yes, thanks. I read that thread a couple days ago and actually spoke to Mike (vintage racer) on the phone a couple nights ago. That's where I got the names from and was then able to do some research and make contact with some other folks who got me an email address for trooper brown. I then found an arrest report online written by trooper hidalgo that had his phone number. I've since been able to pick up where the trail,previously ended and speak directly with trooper hidalgo and trooper brown and trooper brown contacted trooper Lola while I was on the phone with him.

I've been able to obtain very detailed history of these cars from the troopers who had them but still have not yet been able to confirm the unit number of my 89 (trooper hidalgos) old car. Still working on it....
Old 08-28-2015, 10:24 PM

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/