Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Agency-Specific Restoration
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Agency-Specific Restoration Have an Agency-Specific question? This is the place.

Old 09-04-2023, 02:30 AM

Lightbulb Texas fender/trunk lid lettering existed pre-1993

I believe a correction or amendment is needed for the Texas Agency Restoration doc…

It states:
Quote:
1993 was the only year for the fender and trunk lettering (white for the fenders, black for the trunk).
However, these (2) images clearly show pre-1993 slick top units with the front fender lettering (the 2nd image w/Troopers, one can see that the A-pillar has the spotlight chrome behind the Trooper’s arm). The door decals also prove the units in the images are pre-1993 where the “Highway Patrol” is still located above the door belt line molding and the absence of the Jetsonic.

This confirmed use of the lettering prior to 1993, would this mean it was up to the Patrolling Region Fleet Services whether the lettering was applied or not? Possiibly.

According to the Agency Restoration doc on here, it would be incorrect to say these are 1993 units in the images, because the door decals would be incorrect, as would be the use of spotlights, and based on this quote from the doc:
Quote:
DPS didn't order any Mustangs in 1991 or 1992, and the 1993 Mustangs ran Federal Signal Jetsonic lightbars with Code 3 Traffic Advisors behind them (they no longer ran slicktops).
we know the units can’t be 1991-92, therefore the (2) images with front fender lettering clearly present depict pre-1993 units.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2693.jpeg (107.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2694.jpeg (124.5 KB, 8 views)
1994 Cobra Coupe SVT #13
2018 EB Fastback w/PP
Old 09-04-2023, 04:34 PM
Admin

DPS went to the fender lettering starting around 1993. Your pics show that at least several vehicles were run as slick-tops with the fender lettering.

Are these '90 models or 93 models without lightbars? Impossible to tell from the pics.

Variations exist, and sometimes agencies put newer decals on cars that were already in service. Here's an example from FHP in the mid-late 90s. http://www.specialservicemustang.net...P813in1999.jpg

FHP put trunk lettering on the S FL cars. I saw some of these go through the auction, while at the same time, the cars up north, both in-service and at the auction, didn't have these.

My '93 FHP never had these and won't if I ever mark it back up.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 09-06-2023, 10:17 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
DPS went to the fender lettering starting around 1993. Your pics show that at least several vehicles were run as slick-tops with the fender lettering.

Are these '90 models or 93 models without lightbars? Impossible to tell from the pics.

Variations exist, and sometimes agencies put newer decals on cars that were already in service. Here's an example from FHP in the mid-late 90s. http://www.specialservicemustang.net...P813in1999.jpg

FHP put trunk lettering on the S FL cars. I saw some of these go through the auction, while at the same time, the cars up north, both in-service and at the auction, didn't have these.

My '93 FHP never had these and won't if I ever mark it back up.
While I will agree model year in the (2) images is hard to determine, but if going by the "Agency Restoration Doc", then there are inconsistencies where the doc needs to be modified to accept those inconsistencies, rather than putting it forward as "facts" when people are trying to restore these vehicles "to the doc".

I'm in no way trying to start any argument, but if we're going by the TX Agency Doc, was TX also putting A-pillar spot lights on the 93's? According to the doc again 93's wouldn't have spots, however the vehicles in the images have the spots too. And as stated earlier, the "Highway Patrol" door decal lettering would also be inconsistent with the doc where it's stating that "Highway Patrol" would be at the top of the door rather than at the belt line IF those were 93's in the images.

I guess what I'm trying to understand and point out is that the Agency Resto Doc is stating "specifics" as facts, when the findings of period photos are showing otherwise.

IMO, the doc should be amended in those sections so there is awareness there are and can be inconsistencies, rather than how it's currently written. I only ask this so that if others in the future are searching for resto help and just hitting the doc rather than searching these forums, then at least the doc is more accurate based on new findings.
1994 Cobra Coupe SVT #13
2018 EB Fastback w/PP
Old 09-06-2023, 08:24 PM
Admin

The agency docs are a guideline. If followed, any cars restored using them would be considered correct.

There's absolutely no way, barring in-service photos of any given car someone is attempting to restore, to do so with the level of "correctness" you are attempting to impose. I''ll argue that even an in-service photo of a particular car isn't the standard, either, as they sometimes changed during their service lives and any given photo is just a snap-shot of the car at that particular point in time.

Many of these cars were crashed in-service, repaired, and put back into service. Variations exist.

BTW...these docs don't really exist anywhere else. Please utilize them as they were intended and appreciate them for what they are. My .02c.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363