Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:31 AM

Default 1982 CHP #0327

Reluctantly, I had to part ways with 1982 CHP #0513 earlier in the year. I had no intentions of replacing it in the near future, however #0327 came along and fortunately the seller and I were able to work out a deal.
The seller happened to be the son of the original owner. He told me that his father intended to buy one of the ’82 CHP Mustangs when they were retired and became available at auction. According to the seller, his father went to the auction and looked over many of the ’82’s along with their paperwork and maintenance history and decided that #0327 was the one for him. He used it as a daily driver for many years, maintaining the car but not putting any money into it that he didn’t have to. Around 2000, the father passed away and the son took the car from CA home to Washington. Although the car sat for a while, it needed very little to run and drive and make the trip to WA. Aside from some sentimental value to the son, it was just a car, making trips around WA and one trip to Canada.
#0327 has had numerous maintenance items replaced and repairs made recently including a clutch, alternator, heater core, two tires, water pump, etc. When the son replaced the clutch, he saw yellow writing on the pressure plate. He thought his father had put a junk yard clutch in the car. Upon further inspection, the writing said “CHP SACTO”. The car was never modified in any way except the replacement of the front seats. The son said the officer must have been a big guy because the seat was in terrible shape. Unfortunately the original front seats are long gone as is any paperwork that his father saved over the years.
After a 5 day trip from Seattle, #0327 arrived today in Atlanta. The car was absolutely filthy from a couple storms along the way but otherwise sound. I put about 3 miles on the clock and it runs pretty well. The car is accident and rust free, less some minor rot under the battery and decklid. The CHP auction paint is present and flaking off everywhere.
Below are some pictures of #0327 getting loaded up outside of Seattle, unloaded in Atlanta, and getting a quick wash. One very interesting item are the addition of lap belts. The passenger side has the receptacle however I see no evidence that a belt was ever installed. The driver sided has a full set. They look correct for the period. Is this a CHP addition?
There is essentially zero budget for the car at this point however there is plenty of work to do, especially on the interior. Lots of mildew. I will keep you guys up-to-date of any progress.
Last but not least, thanks to all who offered to assist with checking the car out or arranging to have someone take a look at it. I appreciate you guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0327 1.JPG (45.0 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (59.8 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (59.6 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (39.1 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (51.4 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (29.5 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (43.0 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (29.5 KB, 159 views)
Old 12-20-2011, 01:41 AM

excellent !! that one is another excellent candidate for a resto. Glad you got the car !

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 12-20-2011, 01:47 AM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

Congradulations!
I'm glad someone on the forum got it. Many of us should be buying these cars up like you did. You can talk about getting one, but when you are ready to buy, they could all be gone.
Kinda the same condition as my car was, almost all original and fairly nice. Looks like NoDrama's car too.
I cant wait to see more pics and progress Thanks for saving it.
(And btw, don't use a pressure washer or compressed air on the paint. Paint will go flying!. Paint came off the trunk jams on my car with a normal garden hose and sprayer )

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Old 12-20-2011, 03:00 AM

Default lap belts

One very interesting item are the addition of lap belts. The passenger side has the receptacle however I see no evidence that a belt was ever installed. The driver sided has a full set. They look correct for the period. Is this a CHP addition?

Those add on lap belts are correct. I believe motor transport quit installing them in vehicles in the late 80's
Old 12-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Admin

Congrats and good luck with the resto.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 12-20-2011, 01:26 PM

Glad to see that you were able to bring 0327 home. Here's the thread on the car being for sale -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...ead.php?t=3904

Congratulations!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 12-20-2011, 01:29 PM

What year seats are those?? Are they Crystal blue by chance?? If so, I am looking for some and would gladly take them off your hands....

Jerry
91 X-SCHP 2-12-311
90 X-NCSHP Caprice
77 Nova 9C1
83 Malibu 9C1 (Coming Soon)
Old 12-20-2011, 01:46 PM

Congratulations on the purchase, it looks to be an excellent starting point.

Hope you're the first on the block to actually complete an '82 CHP restoration...there seems to be a virtual fleet of them out there in some stage of progress/waiting.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 12-20-2011, 06:29 PM

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately she won't be restored for a long time but will be driven, enjoyed, and improved upon. Taking a pressure washer to this thing is tempting. I'd love to know what the paint looks like under the crappy auction job. The original paint visible under all the flaking areas looks pretty good.

I removed the interior and no sign of the buildsheet. Looks like during 0327's prep for auction, a few screws were left un-installed on some of the trim pieces. Fortunately, most were under the rear seat. I'm dealing with and tossing the insulation pieces responsible for the mildew smell. It's not horrible but it isn't good either. The carpet and seatbelts are getting steam cleaned today at a work contact's detail shop.

The floorpans are clean of rust except for some light surface rust on the seat reinforcement welds. Interestingly, the passenger side does have identical holes to the driver side where the lap belt is installed. I will have to check the carpet again but it really did not look like a belt was ever installed on the passenger side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg int1.JPG (47.7 KB, 391 views)
Old 12-22-2011, 09:23 PM

Got the carpet and belts back today and holy smokes the belts look great! The carpet is worn but very clean now at least. I checked the carpet and the passenger side does have a hole where the lap belt was installed. I'd definitely like to find another one at some point.
Lastly, the horrible window tint is completely removed. What a huge difference that made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg belts.jpg (69.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg carpet.jpg (37.4 KB, 71 views)