Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:10 AM

Thanks Jim. Hope the weather is starting to improve where you are
we are headed out to a car show in Cave Creek Arizona tomorrow
should be at or near 90 deg. regarding the MOVIE CAR markings
I seen in Phoenix the other day...........
a BMW marked in Euro police car type tape/decals
had a covered light bar that said MOVIE CAR?
turned left before i could get a Picture.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:26 AM

Hi Andy! Nice to see you around. Hope you enjoy the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
A few just don't seem to understand the importance of their actions with the cars. the worst is the ones that do stupid things, then arrogantly brag about it on a public forum. Heaven forbid someone question their intentions, especially if they think their profession gives them some sort of "pass" on making us look bad ??? People really need to think about what all the other motoring public sees and what opinions they may formulate because of how we drive the cars. I have made mistakes with the cars myself over the past 15 years, but I have learned from my mistakes and the mistakes of others. The sooner everyone gets on the same page and makes "image" a priority, the better we and every other cop car owner/driver will be accepted. It only takes one childish act to tip the scales against us as we have seen in the past. We all make mistakes, and sometimes we just need to say...wow I screwed that up and it won't happen again.
Jim, that was an extrememly well-worded comment about the responsibility involved with owning/operating an antique/classic police vehicle. GSPI is right - it's how our actions are perceived by the public that carry weight. It's obvious that some SSP owners have differing opinions as to what's acceptable behavior and what is not. Given that individual states have different laws about what is allowed and what is not, it becomes difficult to develop any common sense guidelines for owning/operating our SSP's. But by having an intelligent open discussion, hopefully we can bring light to an important topic related to our hobby.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 04-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Jim, that was an extrememly well-worded comment about the responsibility involved with owning/operating an antique/classic police vehicle. GSPI is right - it's how our actions are perceived by the public that carry weight. It's obvious that SSP enthusiasts have differing opinions as to what's acceptable behavior and what is not. Given that individual states have different laws about what is allowed and what is not, it becomes difficult to develop any common sense guidelines for owning/operating our SSP's. But by having an intelligent open discussion, hopefully we can bring light to an important topic related to our hobby.
I'm proud of the fact that we are able to do that here. We've all made mistakes, and we'll also make more before it's all said and done. The ability to talk about it *intelligently* and *openly* is what makes us different. That, and being willing to go the extra mile to stand up to others who can't seem to do the right thing.

Anyone want to see a new thread on the topic?

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 04-15-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
Anyone want to see a new thread on the topic?
Since the original intention of this thread flows nicely into responsible usage of our SSP's, I retitled this thread instead of creating a new one.

The topic shouldn't be seen as some folks setting themselves up above other SSP owners. This isn't intended to bash anyone in particular, but instead to discuss the importance of making sure our actions are not perceived by anyone in such a way that it is harmful to our hobby.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 04-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Admin

Sounds good to me....and I don't think we'll have a problem like that here.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 04-17-2011, 01:01 PM

I posted this at copcar.com, but I wanted to share it here since it's the same subject matter:

I'm new to the hobby, but I have a lot of experience with patrol cars. I was a law enforcement explorer (scout), security guard driving a marked 'patrol car', a local police officer, and a state trooper. You're alway under the microscope when you're driving a patrol car. The public is quick to call in a complaint on anything you do in a police/state patrol car. The police watch waiting for the 'wannna be's' in the security cars to mess up.

The problem with old police cars is a combination of the above. If you screw up, the public see's it and it looks bad on the agency you're car is displaying. This upsets the public and the agencies. Signs like 'Out Of Service', 'Not In Service', 'Movie Car', 'Show car', etc, doesn't meen anything to the public. To them they just think it meens you're not on duty. You leave a black eye on the organization you're not even associated with.

Personally, I don't think a cruiser that's permanently marked should be allowed to drive on the road (unless in a parade). If it's permanently marked, trailer it. If you want to drive it to the shows, use magnetic markings. We should be more concerned about protecting the image of the agency we're displaying, than the paint on our cars. I see people say they don't want to use magnetics because of the effects it has over time on the finish, so they permanently mark them and then use signs and painters tape.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol copyrighted their logo. You can't even get it for model cars anymore. If the collectors screw up to many times, all the other agencies will follow. People could kill this hobby before I can even get a chance to show my car. There could come a day when you need a license from an agency to display their logo.

I'm sure my comment will not be well received by some people. But mark my word, if we cast a bad image on an agency, they will take steps to protect their image, and keep you from tarnishing it.

Personally, I wouldn't care if agencies had exact specifications your car had to meet, had to be inspected, had to have their license to display present at all times, and had to have a 'pass' indicating the date and location wherever the car was being displayed. It's their logo, they should know when and where it's being displayed.

Now, I don't want it to come to that. Do you?
Old 04-17-2011, 02:44 PM
...Gathering Parts

Looks to me that we are all on the same page here.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Admin

X1000. Appreciate the comments. Keep 'em coming.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 04-17-2011, 03:36 PM

I have been watching the CCdC thread pretty closely. It seems as though they are also on the same page as we are here. At least they react the same to some of situations we find ourselves policing.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 04-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
I have been watching the CCdC thread pretty closely. It seems as though they are also on the same page as we are here. At least they react the same to some of situations we find ourselves policing.
That's also a good thing. They've been doing this longer than we have, and the reputation they have amongst LE agencies is a very professional one. These are the guys getting invites to shows that most others aren't. They run a tight ship and it shows.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS