Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWaterfowler View Post
The only completely restored vehicles should be motorcycles for funerals.
Of course it's your car and your choice how to use it, but think of it this way...the mission for this forum is "Dedicated to the protection, promotion, and restoration of the 1982-1993 Special Service Mustang." That means the membership here had a shared and common focus to that end. So if you're point of view is in fact that "the only completed restored vehicles should be motorcycles for funerals"...then you can see where that point of view would be in conflict and opposite with the masses of members on this forum. Nothing wrong with your opinion, but again keep that in mind and try not to take it too hard when others here take opposition to that and reflect a passionate view that is in keeping with the mission stated above.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 10-16-2012, 09:40 PM
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWaterfowler View Post
I really don't think restoring a CHP Mustang to its in-service condition is the best choice.
1) You can't drive it on public streets/highway. That's wrong because it won’t be in-use anymore, just available at car shows in select areas.
2) It's not meant to be owned by the public, it was meant to be used by a law enforcement officers. I don't even think a retired cop should be thinking otherwise, because impersonating a police officer in California is a misdemeanor.

So the biggest problem I see here is the black and white color scheme.
It's legal to drive the car like that, but upsets cops and they feel it is impersonating in some cases.
So being a daily driver, I almost feel it's out of the question.
Maybe an all-black with white top and c pillars would be almost suitable?

There is no room in California to own a huge barn and use it as Mustang storage. You get only one car, and that's about it. But some people have 3 or 4. I don't plan on selling my Mustang, but I do want to preserve California history and CHP. Why do you think I drive a V8 every day and am basically a dying sight these days in California.
Cash for clunkers and the local pickyourpart has removed the majority of all Foxbody mustangs.

I like my car, I have had 2 other foxbody mustangs. I know what I was looking for, and 4 eye Mustang coupe. Also having been a SSP mustang, it is helpful to have the added options for the race track. Like the floorpans, TRX suspension of course, having subframe connectors added on a long time ago to keep the body strait. Who knows really what has been done to the car in its time, it's 28 years old...

I really hear you all saying I should restore it, but not actually showing anything supporting what you’re saying. It would be worth more?? Why?
The value as far as original parts, I can see as valid point. But can be taken off and put back on?

I'd like to think if these Mustangs were still use today by Law Enforcement; They would have today's suspension upgrades...
They would have maybe a motor swap, like a 351 5.8L to keep up with high speed pursuits and maintenance chance for upgrade.

I'm not saying take away the look of the CHP Mustang. What are you guys thinking I'm doing to the car??? The car as part of its decommission was paint all white to meet the requirements to decommission it for public auction.

I have mentioned, I would like to add things:
Like the search lights, which is totally legal to use on public streets and highways. There is some limit to the wattage and use of the light when on, but not actual installment.
I would also add the antennas, and wheels.
If I added the wig-wag lights with covers on them, and the rear view mirror light thing… How could you tell, if it was just driving down the road it wasn’t a fully restored CHP Mustang???
Also if I added the equipment and rear view mirror forward light completing the look besides having a black and white color scheme… How would someone tell?
What if I painted the car black, and kept the roof and c pillars white? Would that even suffice???
When you paint it black and white, with white doors; You can’t drive it around town, and use it as a civilian car!
This is not the best option coming from me.
I really don’t feel like there is much respect coming from this audience. I think I have a valid option, and if you don’t that’s great. But I have my own. So don’t try to bully me into doing something I don’t want to do.
Its people like THAT, who got us where we are now as a country. Showing strength threw manipulation is a sign of a weak mind. If you really want to try and create some fantasy story of me being a California resident using the Arizona DMZ to avoid smog and who knows what else you’re corrupt mind thinks.
I work for a living, and pay my taxes. I have a clear record, and I’m honest and don’t steal. I do IT computer work for a living, and I earn every dollar I make. I really don’t enjoy people who have such a robotic “yes” man style. Form your own opinion?
Thanks, but I’ll just keep my Mustang to myself.
*Not happy*
Hello Tyler, Without any more B/S I would like to comment on this post in a respectful manor regarding your 84' CHP.

It is YOUR car.

This site is a SSP Mustang police car restoration/ preservation site. There is a wealth of knowledge here re: correct SSP Mustang restoration. Most members here will want you to restore your car as close as possible to stock condition. This site does not have alot of information re:High Performance options for your car.

I am aware of the way a stock mustang handles. My car has Griggs suspension installed. There website is www.griggsracing.com There is good reading there that explains the way Ford designed the suspension and how Griggs fixes the problems.

I have owned my CHP for 25 years, and have it completely restored to 100% 1985 CHP except the running gear.

You own a rare 1984 CHP. The 1984 cars are few and far between these days. Good luck with whatever your plans you have for your car.
1985 California Highway Patrol #8336 Napa Ca office.

1985 Nevada Highway Patrol #30. Federal Test Car. Reno Nv office.

California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/CHP8336/
Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Bobby Edwards

I actually understand everyones points of veiw... but think about this... look how many Shelby's were modded, raced hard and seriously, then restored back to stock years later... As long as the cars not hacked up (and plus he's already said he'd save all stock parts). I say it's still a SSP no matter how its built and can even be put restored to 100% correct anytime the current or future owner chooses ... Everyone seems to really enjoy the 85 or 86 CHP track car belonging to a member on here. I've got a ton of compliments on my 90 CHP. Any of these cars can be put back stock anytime. When I first joined back in 07 I also joined over on the other site. That being said what really sold me on this site was how helpful most of you were. Not so much over there... The more I learned the more I wanted to preseve. It's his choice, but no matter what it's still a SSP and one cool car. He could become a valuble member and help verify and save more SSP's... I caught a hard time about my username even though I hadn't raced in years. But I've helped verify a good many SSP's and saved a one of one (The Georgia Department of Revenue SSP ). If I'd been ran off those things would not have happened ... just my two cents...

1983 GSP#3083 Capt. C. Stallings #99 Post 41

1988 GSP#8292 Trpr R. Wilcox #799 Post 27; ACE wrecked in service with 24k miles; most documented & lowest mileage GSP

1990 GSP#0196 Trpr P. Kirkpatrick #756 Post 29

1992 GSP#2221 Trpr M. Prince #895 Post 9; “1 of 6” LoJack GSP Mustangs
Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chp1982 View Post
Amazing.
+1. You came here asking for opinions, and all I can see in this thread are respectful comments and opinions from everyone who responded, except for several out-of-line comments from you.

No one ever "told" you to do anything, no one here is trying to "bully" you, and no one here ever "threatened" you either. I deleted your post in the welcome section related to that. John simply gave you advice about the tag issue, notice the capital "IF" he used in his post.

If you'd like to continue the discussion with him via PMs, I'm sure he'd be willing to do so.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 10-16-2012, 11:15 PM

Mine's modded...

with the 26's

with the 28s

my engine

I guess I'm part of the "promoting" the CHP SSP Mustang members...

Tyler, here's an article from 5.0 on converting to 5 lug I did for my buddy KJ on my bro's coupe.

It's your notch, enjoy it.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:30 PM

Sorry, since for reason I can't edit. Here's the correct link;
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...n/viewall.html
Old 10-29-2012, 06:38 PM

I've really been avoiding responding in this tread.

I may have lost my temper, but it's the sparks that started the flame that I blame.

I was trying to say this, if you suggest someone fully restore a SSP Mustang to its original condition; then you better dam well give a reason.
You're right this is my car, and I understand you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. I actually want to drink the water.

Point being, don't give advice if you're not gonna bother to read anything I posted. IE: Daily Driver, IE: Question I have about driving a fully restored SSP car on the highway.
-I don't understand people quoting others saying that the only option is to do a full restore, and if you're not up to that; then sell it and get something else.
-One person, who says he's an ex-officer threating me. Whatever, you don’t see it that way, I DO.

I have decided that I'm not part of you ELITE SSP owners, yet we have the same goal. So I have decided to stay and be involved.

Yes, I do feel it's a shame to restore you're mustang to a condition not allowed on the highway. To me this defeats a lot of pupas. The overall goal is to preserve these cars for people to see.

Quote:
This isn't my opinion, but more of an observation of the law.

I did a bunch of research on the law about ex-police interceptors and paint schemes and laws and all that to help me understand my options (being someone who wants to drive their SSP and show it off to everyone and not just a select few/or can be sued a daily driver).
So what I’ve come up with is that you can paint your car black with a white top and c-pillars. The cops don't mind this, just as long as you don't have a white door. As I’m sure you all have seen the Geek Squad driving around in the black/white scheme and white doors. The police have hassled the Geek Squad about this for a few years since they were doing it. Although not illegal, the Geek Squad paints their doors black now to avoid prosecution.
So with that said, and it being a vehicle used daily and regularly; I use that as my starting point.
So if it's painted like above, and you decide you have really been working hard on your SSP and want to go to a show where other SSP cars are; what is your option?
Idea being: A white vinyl door covers with a California Highway Patrol logo.
Drive to the car show, apply decal (very easy) and before leaving the car show, remove the decal.
I think this is perfectly acceptable.

I'll see if there is any legit questions people had on this subject, sorry if I didn't respond. I just lost interest for a few weeks when I read some peoples comments, and a build up of people commenting with no interest in my topic other then to derail things. I should be used to it by now, but I guess I'm only human.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:05 PM

I have the license plate number of my SSP's in-service days, so moving forward; I sent a few emails out to the California Highway Patrol, and the CHP Historical Society.

I got a response from the CHP Historical Society in a few days saying the California Highway Patrol was the best source for this information and they couldn’t help.

So today being a few weeks later, I got a response from the California Highway Patrol, Office of Community Outreach and Media Relations dept.
Quote:
Attached is the request that was sent to FOS from CV. We do not have any records on the 1984 Mustang plate number E862748. Records are kept by the area where the vehicle was assigned for a period of three years and then they are purged.
They had no information, but were more than happy to help me out with the search.

So, I have no idea how I might find out more information.
You think that the CHP would know who drove which car when and where It was stationed, but I guess not.

I'm going to respond to the man who reported this; he's the Shop Operations Manager, California Highway Patrol, Fleet Operations Section.
I'm hoping he might be able to tell me, if anyone had that information, where could it be?

I don't want to post his information, most of all if he can't be any help.

I'm not sure how you would find this out; I guess it's a personally mission at this point. I would like to setup maybe a process for CHP owners to research their SSP further once you find out the squad/license number.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Hi Tyler. Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the pictures. We will get your car added to our VIN Project shortly.

Be careful what you ask for! IMO, a SSP Mustang makes for an OK daily driver (not good or even great). Personally, I like my DD to have airbags, ABS, and other safety features found on modern automobiles. That being said, I know some hot rod car-guys who regularly drive some really neat, old cars. But there are risks in doing that: accidents (destroying not only the car but possibly hurting the occupants), damage, theft, ect. Since you already own your 84 and want to drive it, I suggest the following:
  • Paint - since you live in California, do NOT paint the roof and doors white with a black body. You will get stopped and the hassle is not worth it. A member here in California repainted his 85 CHP in black with a white roof - it looked great, it honored the car's history, and he avoided getting in trouble with the police.
  • CHP Equipment - You can add the antennae and lights, but the lights must be covered at all times. I keep mine disconnected too while driving, should I have to answer any questions on the side of the road after being stopped. Police markings MUST be covered up or removed while driving.
  • Engine - You can have hood clearance issues with the 351, depending on the parts selection. There are so many choices for building a nice 5.0L that you should probably stick with that. I wouldn't go crazy with mods; keep things simple.
  • Suspension - The factory 87-up 4-lug front brakes are an upgrade in performance, but you will have to run newer style wheels. My 1st 85 SSP has them, in addition to 93 Cobra disk brakes. The car stops nicely compared to the OEM set-up, but I must use 10-hole wheels (painted black). IMO, a 5-lug swap isn't worth it. The brakes are going to lock up in a panic stop regardless, so larger aftermarket brakes would only be worth it if you are racing the car and are concerned about brake fade.

The above comments are just suggestions for your car, and the only reason I offered them up is because you asked. These cars were pushed hard while in-service, so on a daily driver you really don't have to go crazy with mods.
I really appreciate your advice!
I did read it, but never responded.

I'm thinking of the all black with white top, but paint the c-pillars white too.
I'm not sure if the white c-pillars are going to keep me away from being pulled over, but seems to be working for the Geek Squad.

Yeah, I really not worried about doing any motor swaps for a while.
I though the 351 would be a good option, just because it's the sam as a 302 but slightly larger. I've been driving 302's for years and years, and I really seem them as great motors. I'm kinda on the fence on that one, more if a further thought.

Yeah, I would like to upgrade the front spindles/hub, struts and control arms to the 87-93 range. I would also like to replace the 7.5" rear end, with a 8.8.

Yes, the equipment wouldn’t be setup. That wouldn’t be good for a SSP on the street. I would put covers on all the lights, maybe not the front spot lights, but everything else.

Some of these ideas were prior to me knowing I had a SSP mustang, and was just thinking outloud.

I understand what you're saying though.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Bobby Edwards

Glad you decided to stay...please post progress pics as you go, Thanks and good luck with the project.

1983 GSP#3083 Capt. C. Stallings #99 Post 41

1988 GSP#8292 Trpr R. Wilcox #799 Post 27; ACE wrecked in service with 24k miles; most documented & lowest mileage GSP

1990 GSP#0196 Trpr P. Kirkpatrick #756 Post 29

1992 GSP#2221 Trpr M. Prince #895 Post 9; “1 of 6” LoJack GSP Mustangs