Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWaterfowler View Post
I would like to restore some properties.
The spot light
Antennas
Correct interior, replace damaged parts
I also was thinking of doing a 5 lug conversion. The drum brakes are just terrible. I can do the conversion with junkyard parts on half off day for about $250. I like the SSP rims, but the Maximum Motorsport's Konig Villains that look like ultralights are a nice performance option.
I was thinking maybe even the stock SSP rims could be drilled for the 5 lug pattern?
I also plan on getting a toque arm and pan hard bar.
In the way, way future front and rear coil overs with tubular control arms in front and remove the rear coil on the lower control arm.
Most of this stuff would be seen from the outside.
I also have a tremec 3550 5 speed transmission in my backyard that I saved from my 91 coupe. It's a very reliable trans and it has a pro 5.0 shifter.
It really doesn't hurt the image of the car but increases the reliability and use of the car.

Do you think mods like this will lower the value, not that I have plans of selling it. To much sentimental value.

I really want to replace the motor too... It's a non-roller.
Part of being a daily driver is reliability and getting some mpg on the freeways and cruising. I was thinking o a roller 351 swap from the 1993 - 1996 years.
The gt40/cobra heads and intake fit on it nicely and most 5.0 parts. It can even fit under the hood with the stock hood.

I want to hear your opinions on this.

Thanks.
That's a lot of work for a DD. Your plan sounds more like a track car than a daily. Just keep it simple. A lot of these cars get hacked up for this very reason. I would suggest handing it off to someone who's a purist and would restore it to its factory/service condition. Just my opinion though.
#200882 unit# M9166- SOLD
Old 10-08-2012, 03:37 PM

Tyler, here is the new page in our VIN Project for your SSP -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...info204022.htm

In 1984, the CHP order was produced by Ford in two batches. The first batch was part of a 136-car group of consecutive VINs (V8 notchbacks), and the second group was 131 cars. Given that the reported number of 1984 CHP Mustangs was 250, then the two groups have more than just the CHP cars in them. Your car was part of that first batch, btw.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 10-08-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
It's your car, so do as you see fit. However, as a daily driver, you definitely run the risk of having someone plow into it. Let's face it; there aren't many of these running around. I wouldn't say it's "irreplaceable", but I think you get the idea. Why not take a 4 cylinder car and do the same mods you are wanting to do? Just a thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chism View Post
That's a lot of work for a DD. Your plan sounds more like a track car than a daily. Just keep it simple. A lot of these cars get hacked up for this very reason. I would suggest handing it off to someone who's a purist and would restore it to its factory/service condition. Just my opinion though.
Welcome! You have a real nice SSP and there seems to be very few of that type left in such condition anymore. I agree 100% with the sentiments above...think about it.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 10-08-2012, 07:54 PM

Welcome !
I agree with all of the above as well. Sounds to me it would be less expensive if you picked up a 90 - 92 or 93 5.0 even if it wasn't an SSP and go from there. Keep the CHP SSP stock and original.

I feel keeping your CHP SSP as original as possible will make it worth more rather than changing it for a daily driver. It's less expensive to buy a car with most everything already on it for the driver.

Also............ just a little advise from a retired CHP officer .....
IF you are a CA resident living and working in CA, and you have your car registered in AZ, you are in violation of CA Vehicle Code 4152.5 VC - 4000.a VC. It can be a misdemeanor viloation of up to $1000.00 fine and/or 6 months in jail.
You are required to register your vehicle within 20 days of gainful employment in the Sate of CA.

If cited, DMV can and will go back as far as they can to find out when you entered CA and had the car in CA, and on top of the citation and court fees, will make you pay registration as far back as they find you were a CA resident.
They use utility companies, employment, renter info, SS# work, Driver license etc., plus.... AZ DMV info on you. They can find out a lot of info on you fast.

So.... my suggestion is to get your car registered in CA as soon as you can.
AZ registration expired or not. Your car is over 25 years and does not require a smog check. Registration won't be much with the year of your car.
Is it worth getting caught and paying the fees and fines ? NO !!

It is easy for an officer to figure it out. They see you driving your car daily.
One my follow you to your work or home one day. Make a call. Your employer says.. Oh he's been here for 5 years. BINGO.. you are done.
You get a ticket in the mail. If you lie to DMV, they already have all of the info. They will stick it to you. trust me.
Foreign registration was one of my assigned jobs in several of the offices I worked out of.

We'd also cruise apartment complexes at night, write down all of the out of state plates we found and run them for owner's name, then run the name for CA drivers license. They usually send you a letter in the mail first.
If you still do not register it, a CHP officer cites you.

So, be aware. It will happen one day.
Sorry for not so good news... BUT.... hate to see you get nailed and have some huge fines to pay.

Keep up the photos ! Can you send a picture of the front bumper ? Is there a hole cut out in it on the driver side ?
John
Old 10-16-2012, 03:07 AM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10608 View Post
Welcome !
I agree with all of the above as well. Sounds to me it would be less expensive if you picked up a 90 - 92 or 93 5.0 even if it wasn't an SSP and go from there. Keep the CHP SSP stock and original.

I feel keeping your CHP SSP as original as possible will make it worth more rather than changing it for a daily driver. It's less expensive to buy a car with most everything already on it for the driver.

Also............ just a little advise from a retired CHP officer .....
IF you are a CA resident living and working in CA, and you have your car registered in AZ, you are in violation of CA Vehicle Code 4152.5 VC - 4000.a VC. It can be a misdemeanor viloation of up to $1000.00 fine and/or 6 months in jail.
You are required to register your vehicle within 20 days of gainful employment in the Sate of CA.

If cited, DMV can and will go back as far as they can to find out when you entered CA and had the car in CA, and on top of the citation and court fees, will make you pay registration as far back as they find you were a CA resident.
They use utility companies, employment, renter info, SS# work, Driver license etc., plus.... AZ DMV info on you. They can find out a lot of info on you fast.

So.... my suggestion is to get your car registered in CA as soon as you can.
AZ registration expired or not. Your car is over 25 years and does not require a smog check. Registration won't be much with the year of your car.
Is it worth getting caught and paying the fees and fines ? NO !!

It is easy for an officer to figure it out. They see you driving your car daily.
One my follow you to your work or home one day. Make a call. Your employer says.. Oh he's been here for 5 years. BINGO.. you are done.
You get a ticket in the mail. If you lie to DMV, they already have all of the info. They will stick it to you. trust me.
Foreign registration was one of my assigned jobs in several of the offices I worked out of.

We'd also cruise apartment complexes at night, write down all of the out of state plates we found and run them for owner's name, then run the name for CA drivers license. They usually send you a letter in the mail first.
If you still do not register it, a CHP officer cites you.

So, be aware. It will happen one day.
Sorry for not so good news... BUT.... hate to see you get nailed and have some huge fines to pay.

Keep up the photos ! Can you send a picture of the front bumper ? Is there a hole cut out in it on the driver side ?
John
I'm a Arizona resident also, I go to school in Arizona and have family in California. I have school for 6 months each year, and I work in California on the off season and see my family.
Why would you think I'm breaking the law? Just becasue the reg tag is past due?
I bought the car two years ago.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:47 AM

Angry

I really don't think restoring a CHP Mustang to its in-service condition is the best choice.
1) You can't drive it on public streets/highway. That's wrong because it won’t be in-use anymore, just available at car shows in select areas.
2) It's not meant to be owned by the public, it was meant to be used by a law enforcement officers. I don't even think a retired cop should be thinking otherwise, because impersonating a police officer in California is a misdemeanor.

The only completely restored vehicles should be motorcycles for funerals.

So the biggest problem I see here is the black and white color scheme.
It's legal to drive the car like that, but upsets cops and they feel it is impersonating in some cases.
So being a daily driver, I almost feel it's out of the question.
Maybe an all-black with white top and c pillars would be almost suitable?

There is no room in California to own a huge barn and use it as Mustang storage. You get only one car, and that's about it. But some people have 3 or 4. I don't plan on selling my Mustang, but I do want to preserve California history and CHP. Why do you think I drive a V8 every day and am basically a dying sight these days in California.
Cash for clunkers and the local pickyourpart has removed the majority of all Foxbody mustangs.

I like my car, I have had 2 other foxbody mustangs. I know what I was looking for, and 4 eye Mustang coupe. Also having been a SSP mustang, it is helpful to have the added options for the race track. Like the floorpans, TRX suspension of course, having subframe connectors added on a long time ago to keep the body strait. Who knows really what has been done to the car in its time, it's 28 years old...

I really hear you all saying I should restore it, but not actually showing anything supporting what you’re saying. It would be worth more?? Why?
The value as far as original parts, I can see as valid point. But can be taken off and put back on?

I'd like to think if these Mustangs were still use today by Law Enforcement; They would have today's suspension upgrades...
They would have maybe a motor swap, like a 351 5.8L to keep up with high speed pursuits and maintenance chance for upgrade.

I'm not saying take away the look of the CHP Mustang. What are you guys thinking I'm doing to the car??? The car as part of its decommission was paint all white to meet the requirements to decommission it for public auction.

I have mentioned, I would like to add things:
Like the search lights, which is totally legal to use on public streets and highways. There is some limit to the wattage and use of the light when on, but not actual installment.
I would also add the antennas, and wheels.
If I added the wig-wag lights with covers on them, and the rear view mirror light thing… How could you tell, if it was just driving down the road it wasn’t a fully restored CHP Mustang???
Also if I added the equipment and rear view mirror forward light completing the look besides having a black and white color scheme… How would someone tell?
What if I painted the car black, and kept the roof and c pillars white? Would that even suffice???
When you paint it black and white, with white doors; You can’t drive it around town, and use it as a civilian car!
This is not the best option coming from me.
I really don’t feel like there is much respect coming from this audience. I think I have a valid option, and if you don’t that’s great. But I have my own. So don’t try to bully me into doing something I don’t want to do.
Its people like THAT, who got us where we are now as a country. Showing strength threw manipulation is a sign of a weak mind. If you really want to try and create some fantasy story of me being a California resident using the Arizona DMZ to avoid smog and who knows what else you’re corrupt mind thinks.
I work for a living, and pay my taxes. I have a clear record, and I’m honest and don’t steal. I do IT computer work for a living, and I earn every dollar I make. I really don’t enjoy people who have such a robotic “yes” man style. Form your own opinion?
Thanks, but I’ll just keep my Mustang to myself.
*Not happy*
Old 10-16-2012, 07:48 AM

Tyler, you were welcomed here by all after asking for opinions about your car. Nobody was disrespectful by calling you names (there are some Mustang forums where you would have been severely flamed). The members here just offered advice and suggestions, at your request. You may not agree with what they said, and you are entitled to listen or not. But you are mistaken when you say you have not been treated with respect.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:14 PM

I really don't like John10608's comment.
That's not a very warm welcome to a new member/first comment.

There are some good comments.
I don't like being told to sell it, if people think they can manipulate someone into giving them a good deal on a SSP they want... I don't think it's worth $1,800, maybe to someone who doesn’t know what they have.

Like I said, I want to preserve the outside look.

Yes, I do want to make it into a bit of a track car.
I would like to go out to Willow Springs Raceway, with a white top Mustang and the rest black. Then when I arrive to the track, then apply a vinyl sticker over my driver door making it white with door decal. Then race the car on the track, maybe like a reenactment. Find a few other racers with 80s 90s cars and do some chases on the track.
Then rip off the vinyl sticker and drive it home.

I like the idea of getting 5 lug setup, it just makes these cars stop on dime. It brings the car to life, and gives it some feel.
I know how to drive a car.
One thing I know about drum brakes, if you get to a high speed and need to slow down fast, it will lock up every time and do some type of fish tail.

I don't know what to say, I am just bummed out now.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:54 PM

Amazing.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:25 PM

you have to remember its YOUR car and YOU can do what ever you want to do with it, there are ways to do 4 lug disc breaks that will work with your car, but switching to 5 lug allows you to get a better decisions on rims and sizes because the biggest ive seen in a 4 lugs that are still able to purchase is 18s because they dont make the 20 inch motorsport cobras. another thing you can do if your goal is to make it good in the twisties is to put a 99-01 03-04 cobra IRS it gives you the stronger 8.8 rear and it will make it handle like a corvette plus you get the 5 lug conversion when doing it my friend has IRS in his 87 notch and it gets looks ive only seen 1 84 around in sacramento ith IRS. my car goals are not to keep it stock i got gt40 heads sitting in my garage with a trick flow cam
typhoon intake, bbk cold air intake, professional products 70tb and egr
c&L 73mm mass air