Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:01 PM

Default Border Patrol

Apparently quite a few people knew about this one but I was shocked to learn that another Border Patrol unit exists. Said to be in the Tucson Sector. A very exciting find!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6213.JPG (31.2 KB, 81 views)
Old 06-30-2017, 09:16 AM

This car has been in storage for some time. It is my understanding it is owned by the Border Patrol Museum and was on display there before being moved to storage. I talked with someone at the storage facility about 7 years ago. He informed me at that time it had already been there for a while and was just rotting away. I have reached out to the museum numerous times to inquire on restoring the car for them, but have been ignored.

Here are a couple pictures I found online.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:48 AM

It is my understanding that this is not the museum car. The information was originally posted on the SSP mustang fb page a little over a month ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6216.jpg (12.1 KB, 75 views)
Old 06-30-2017, 10:02 AM

The museum photos are probably what, at least 10 years old? Has anyone confirmed that the museum still has the SSP on display? The original photo posted in this thread from FB was supposedly taken last month. It is possible that this is the same car. Note that the first photo posted by Jonathon shows the same license plate as the car in the museum, per the photos in our Project -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...info289707.htm

So this distressed car MAY be the one from the museum. But it would be cool if the US Border Patrol did in fact have more than one SSP.

EDIT: I re-read Jonathon's comment about the car being moved to storage after it had been on display at the museum.

Last edited by 28HopUp; 06-30-2017 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Added a comment
Old 06-30-2017, 10:25 AM

In talking with the Museum, I was told they only had one SSP. Given the rough shape in the picture Jon posted and the "rotting away" comments from about 7 years ago, I feel it is the same car. I would love to see this car restored. I've been given a few different contacts with the Border Patrol that I have reached out to, but there just doesn't seem to be any interest in restoring the car, even at no cost to the Border Patrol Museum.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:27 AM

Here's some info I found online about Project Roadrunner -

http://www.sspcentral.com/u-s-border...ct-roadrunner/

From the article -

Quote:
After the program, the Camaro was sold and eventually destroyed. The Firebird now resides at the Border Patrol Museum in El Paso Texas. And the SSP Ford Mustang was last known to be stored at the Border Patrol fleet maintenance garage at the Tucson Sector Headquarters building as of 2010.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 06-30-2017, 10:34 AM

Maybe it's just dirt, but the wheels look like the lip was stripped of their paint.

From what you guys posted, seems like this is probably the same, one and only, car. Very sad.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:03 PM

Default Pic posted by CH 1082

The picture posted by CHiP 1082 was posted by me on a Mustang SSP facebook site this month. It was sent to me early this month, by a very realiable ranking USBP friend from the Tucson Sector. It is not the SSP, that is in the El Paso USBP Muesum and additional photos in this post. This particular SSP presently is not for sale and is the property of the USBP. It is correct to say another USBP SSP has surfaced. I have asked and been told the mission is to restore this vehicle.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Here's some info I found online about Project Roadrunner -

http://www.sspcentral.com/u-s-border...ct-roadrunner/

From the article -
Good info Bill. Thanks for posting that up !

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 07-01-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbe2598 View Post
The picture posted by CHiP 1082 was posted by me on a Mustang SSP facebook site this month. It was sent to me early this month, by a very realiable ranking USBP friend from the Tucson Sector. It is not the SSP, that is in the El Paso USBP Muesum and additional photos in this post. This particular SSP presently is not for sale and is the property of the USBP. It is correct to say another USBP SSP has surfaced. I have asked and been told the mission is to restore this vehicle.
Very interesting, Jim.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/