Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I have been thinking about how i might find 870255 and I came up with an idea. CHP Motor Transport in Sacramento surely has records of all these vehicles, including the VIN numbers. I believe most, if not all, State DMV records are linked by LE computer systems. If I go to Motor Transport, get the VIN, then run it, if the vehicle is registered it should come up.

I'm going to work on this. Wouldn't that be cool if it was owned by a little old lady who only used it to go to church on Sundays and was in excellent condition?
Steve, if you can find the car's VIN, then you may be able to get some information on the car from California DMV. Check out this thread:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...ead.php?t=2676

In terms of going to Motor Transport, you (being retired CHP) may have better access than an out-of-state LEO or civilian to the Assignment Cards. I think many of the Mustang cards have been tossed, but some still remain. The source I've used in the past has about a 17% success rate in finding the original cards. So the odds aren't great, but it's possible. As a reference, here is a copy of mine (with the VIN removed):

If you can gain access to the Assignemnt Cards, it would be great if they would allow you to search through them to find all of ones for Mustangs (listed on the front of the card under "BODY") and pull those. That way they could refer any future inquiries to you rather than wasting time looking through them. I have seen the following years with these prefix numbers ahead of the unit number:

1982 E85_ _ _ _
1982 E87_ _ _ _
1984 E??_ _ _ _
1985 E40_ _ _ _
1986 E41_ _ _ _
1987 E42_ _ _ _
1988 E43_ _ _ _
1989 E??_ _ _ _
1990 E88_ _ _ _
1991 E38_ _ _ _
1992 E40_ _ _ _
1993 E89_ _ _ _

I've also seen exceptions to the above prefixes, but that's a general listing. If you can gain access to all of the cards, then let us know. I suspect that we could locate a member or two that would be willing to assist you in your efforts.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
Yeah...most places will let you run it for a small fee, as long as it's for research purposes (with the appropriate paperwork). It differs in each state, but I figured that's what he meant (since he's retired), not that a friend was going to run it in NCIC (which violates policy and shouldn't be done).
Well, that's what I was trying to indirectly get to.

When I started with the state, every Trooper had to be LEADS certified in case there was no dispatcher and you had to 'sit desk'. Using LEADS, NCIC, etc for non-official use is a major violation and miss use could result in the loss of your terminal. I don't know anything about agencies running something for a small fee. OSP was overly anal about everything. They'd probably put someone in jail for accepting a fee at the post to run something.

I think the important point here is, I don't want someone to get the idea that they can get their buddy Joe Cop to run something, and then have that officer get in a jamb trying to help someone out.

I have to admit though, if I wasn't retired, I'd be having a field day doing my 'own' research.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:17 PM

All good information and ideas and you are right, unlawful access to NCIC is a no-no. I wasn't suggesting anyone do anything wrong or get someone else in trouble.

I'll see what more I can find out. If I can help anyone else with records, I'll do so.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:15 PM

Thanks much for coming up on this forum and sharing your experiences Steve. The history you are providing is beyond valuable and will live on with these cars.

I think you're on the right track with starting your research at Motor Transport. They were very helpful to me and I think they will be receptive to your inquiries, esp. if they would let you do the footwork with the records in lieu of them expending the effort.

My car spent it's entire service life in the Valley. First two years down in Bakersfield where surely it was no stranger to I-5 then almost 10 years back at the Academy as a training vehicle. It was sold still in its (mostly) original B & W finish. From the scratches I could make out on the deck lid, it was outfitted with a mag mount antenna which I'm told was used with a CB. Here are a couple of small in-service pics of one with a similar setup:

Steve - does the office location in these photos look at all familiar to you?

I also spent a ton of time in the early-mid '80s driving between the Bay Area and Fresno right through the Los Banos area. I have vivid memories of the Mustangs from your office and how I had to really work to keep from getting nabbed for speeding on those long and desolate streches of 152 that I mostly drove late night. Good thing I had young eyes back then and a thorough recognition of the forward light signatures for the Mustangs and Dips...saved me everytime!

Well, I did receive a novel warning one night around the fall of '84. I was headed east just past the Dos Palos exit at about 70-75 when I caught a vehicle quickly entering the roadway about a mile back. In short order I recognized it was a smaller car and slowed right down to 65 then ducked into the slow lane at 60 as I could confirm it was a indeed Mustang as it closed in. The officer came up on me slowly in the #1, paused alongside as he passed and gave a quick on and off of the ruby right in my direction then he floored it into the night. I'll never forget that move and haven't seen it used since. Was that one you used?
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 04-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP959(R) View Post
Well, that's what I was trying to indirectly get to.

When I started with the state, every Trooper had to be LEADS certified in case there was no dispatcher and you had to 'sit desk'. Using LEADS, NCIC, etc for non-official use is a major violation and miss use could result in the loss of your terminal. I don't know anything about agencies running something for a small fee. OSP was overly anal about everything. They'd probably put someone in jail for accepting a fee at the post to run something.

I think the important point here is, I don't want someone to get the idea that they can get their buddy Joe Cop to run something, and then have that officer get in a jamb trying to help someone out.

I have to admit though, if I wasn't retired, I'd be having a field day doing my 'own' research.
Same here....we had to originally be FCIC/NCIC certified (with it I worked OT in the Comm Center when they were extremely short) and misuse was a big no-no. Eventually, everyone had to be certified when we went to laptops in the cars.

Many state DMVs will run them for a fee...NOT individual officers or offices. We did do inspections for compliance and collect fees ($8 "fix-it" tickets), but we'd only fill out the form and send them to the courthouse to take care of the fines.

Here is a link to FL's form, as an example (with their fee schedule):

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/85054.pdf

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 04-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
All good information and ideas and you are right, unlawful access to NCIC is a no-no. I wasn't suggesting anyone do anything wrong or get someone else in trouble.

I'll see what more I can find out. If I can help anyone else with records, I'll do so.
We know...we got you covered.

Any help you could throw our way would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 04-12-2011, 06:14 PM

Hello Mac88,

Can't say for sure where that CHP area office is, but the carports look much like those in the back of the Los Banos office.

When you mention Highway 152 East of Los Banos and Dos Palos it brings back lots of memories. Having driven through there, you know how wide open and vast that area is. I (and 870255) spent most of our time out that way. I used to cover that entire area, East to the Madera County line, plus Highway 33 South through Firebaugh all the way to Mendota.

Occasionally we would work on Interstate 5 or on the West side of Highway 152, from the Santa Clara County line at Dinosaur Point to Los Banos. It depended on how many units were available that shift. They tried to have at least 4 for the area on day shift. There was one day shift where I was the only unit 10-8 for the entire area because of court, vacation, and illness.

It was a very different place from the urban areas and because of the Mustangs it was special. In looking back I remember it as one of the most enjoyable experiences I had.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:20 PM

Mac, regarding the red spotlight "warning', yes, that was one way to do it. Another way was to just pull up alongside and match the speed of another vehicle, and look over and give a nod. Or if someone was speeding but not enough for a cite pull up alongside and match their speed until they slow down, at which time you give the driver a stern look then accelerate away. All ways of giving a "white-door warning". I'm sure Mike and others in LE in this forum know all about these.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
I like the paper bag approach! I'll have to put some in my '82 when it's done.

I used to use the pull the shirt over the head method. Of course, that was only good if the person was wearing a shirt.

I seriously can't remember ever reading posts like this from someone who drove the early cars, much less an '82. Great stuff!
Glad you like the paper bag technique. If you put some in the trunk of your '82 it will be a great conversation piece when you show it!
Old 04-12-2011, 07:54 PM

Default A Mustang Story

In a way not completely unlike their namesake an SSP Mustang could be tamed and used to manage cattle, harkening back to the days of the Old West...

One early morning while patrolling I was dispatched to Interstate 5 to check on a report of livestock on the roadway. Interstate highways are fenced on both sides to restrict access and especially in rural areas where livestock graze it is especially critical. Colliding at 65 mph with livestock will ruin your whole day.

Overnight a vehicle had gone off the roadway, through the wide shoulder area, and taken out about 50 feet of barbed-wire fencing. Probably someone fell asleep; lucky they didn't roll over which happened frequently. They were long gone and so only the physical evidence and damaged fencing remained to tell their story. Some nearby livestock had taken advantage of the opportunity to sample the grass on the freeway side of the fence and several of them were grazing about a hundred feet from the breach in the fence. I reported the damage and advised dispatch to contact CalTrans to get a repair crew out asap, then went to work on getting those cows back onto their side before they decided the grass in the center divider looked even better. Using 870255's siren and PA system and with some deft maneuvering I was able to safely herd them all along the shoulder then back onto their side. CalTrans soon arrived and took over and the safety of the motoring public was restored; the Mustang had done its job.

With a wave and a hearty "heigh-ho Silver!", I put 870255 in gear and we accelerated into the traffic lane, looking ahead to the next adventure...

alright, I added the "heigh-ho Silver' part for effect. But the rest of the story is absolutely true :-)