Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Welcome!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Welcome! New Member/Visitor area. Feel free to post up any questions you have about the site or the forums.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:22 PM

Default New from North Texas - '87 SSP

Hello!

My name is Bryan, been into Mustangs for many years, moderate a couple of forums, etc. Bill (28hopup) sort of pointed me in the right direction over here. I picked up a 1987 LX coupe today, that has many of the markings of an SSP car, extra ground straps on all the hinges, relocated trunk release, cert. 140 mph speedo, 100 lb oil pressure gauge, screw holes in the dash, trunk floor and under the trunk lid, etc. Has two buck tags in place but hard to read and cannot get the screws out to save my life. Partial read off of one of them, I can make out the words TEXAS, SPECIAL ___ and REMAINDER on the bottom line. More importantly, the VIN matches your VIN project, so I feel pretty comfortable calling it an SSP.

As you can see, the previous owner decided to give it a 4 eye conversion, which is admittedly what initially attracted me to the car. Now that I know it's probably legit though, I'm having second thoughts about leaving it this way. Time will tell I guess.

Anywho, she's showing 18k and change, so it's anybody's guess whether that's 118 or 218, although she drives awfully tight to be 218. Still bone stock, Speed Density, T5 and all, save for a tacky add on air filter in place of the stock box (which, if someone has a spare they wouldn't mind parting with, I would be glad to take it off your hands!). She's had a repaint in DSG, but judging by some spots under the hood, I'm guessing she was an 8L car to begin with, and she still sports a pretty clean Sand Beige interior. Missing the ash tray door, but I've already located a decent replacement on FEP.

Looking forward to finding out more about her and seeing what path she decides to take! Here's a few pics for now -

Old 11-16-2012, 11:36 PM

Welcome and congrats. Looks like a clean car. Someone must have loved 4-eyed cars! Swapped out the rear bumper too. There's some nice sand beige pieces on ebay right now that keep getting a little more reasonable in price.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chp1982 View Post
Welcome and congrats. Looks like a clean car. Someone must have loved 4-eyed cars! Swapped out the rear bumper too. There's some nice sand beige pieces on ebay right now that keep getting a little more reasonable in price.
Thanks! I had already bought the rest of the side trim before I realized exactly what the car is, not sure I'll use it now. Heading to Ebay to check out the SB stuff.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:46 AM

Nice to see you here, Bryan. For the rest of the group, I know Bryan from www.mustangcollective.com and FEP, and this guy from Texas is CRAZY. Do y'all see that blue GT in the garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime! View Post

...well he drove it to Maryland to go drag racing last year. With just a tune, DR's, and exhaust, he was literally able to pull this -

The GTO guys that were sharing the track with us couldn't believe a relatively stock 5.0L was lifting the front tire.

Bryan, in terms of your SSP it is definitely a Mustang used by the Texas Department of Public Safety. That's based off of the VIN, which falls in between two other TxDPS cars with the same DSO numbers. I know you are a regular on FEP, so if you have heard the next part please forgive the repetition. You should contact Marti Auto Works to get a Marti Report (Deluxe or Standard). They also sell replacement VIN labels for your door.

Congrats again on the new car!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 11-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Nice to see you here, Bryan. For the rest of the group, I know Bryan from www.mustangcollective.com and FEP, and this guy from Texas is CRAZY. Do y'all see that blue GT in the garage?

...well he drove it to Maryland to go drag racing last year. With just a tune, DR's, and exhaust, he was literally able to pull this -

The GTO guys that were sharing the track with us couldn't believe a relatively stock 5.0L was lifting the front tire.

Bryan, in terms of your SSP it is definitely a Mustang used by the Texas Department of Public Safety. That's based off of the VIN, which falls in between two other TxDPS cars with the same DSO numbers. I know you are a regular on FEP, so if you have heard the next part please forgive the repetition. You should contact Marti Auto Works to get a Marti Report (Deluxe or Standard). They also sell replacement VIN labels for your door.

Congrats again on the new car!
I ordered the basic build sheet from Ford yesterday, heading to Marti today. I'm actually hopeful on this one that it's in good enough shape the original build sheet might be in there and readable.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:17 PM

Marti report and new door sticker ordered. Can't wait to see them!
Old 11-17-2012, 12:26 PM

Bryan, I see that you're wasting no time!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 11-17-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Bryan, I see that you're wasting no time!
Ordering paperwork is easy! LOL! It's making the decision to redo the Aero front end that will be tough. This car looks really good as is, but it almost screams for a resto.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:10 PM

I could use that nose if you ever want to part with it!

Here is the new page in our VIN Project for your new SSP -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...info184623.htm

Old 11-17-2012, 07:21 PM

So what exactly does that DSO# mean? Will that help tell me where she did her duty?

In the mid 90's, Texas briefly considered changing it's State song to a 5.0 Fox body with Flowmasters.