Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Restoration-related Equipment Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Restoration-related Equipment Tech Any questions or information about any period-correct resto equipment (ie. switchboxes, lights, radios).

Old 02-18-2009, 02:06 PM

Default Using CHP antennae for FM Radio?

Since the CHP cars had the factory radio removed, they didn't have a radio antenna on the front passenger fender. I assume there was a block-off plate added to cover the hole?

My CHP will be a driver, but I plan to install the CHP original antennae (roof and whip). Can either of these be used for FM reception for an aftermarket in-dash radio?

TIA!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 02-18-2009, 04:04 PM
**No Longer a Registered Member**

I do not know how bad the frequency difference would be on the roof antennae however you could remove any loads from the roof antennae if any and hope the antennae length is close to the 31 inchs that is proper for FM.

You can also buy very good hidden antennae's now. That's what a lot of street rodders use. Check out a street rod supplier.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:54 PM

Yes, a plastic block off plate covered the regular antenna hole on the fender ans is still available I believe, at least in the aftermarket. I've got my scanner hooked up to the whip and it gets great reception.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 02-21-2009, 12:58 AM

The length is not that critical for a receive only application in most general coverage radios so it should work fine. If you were transmitting on it it would be a different story, you would have to have an antenna that matches the wave length of the frequency you were using. Some of the older car radios actually had a place on them to adjust the radio to the antenna but I don't know if the radios nowadays do.

To those who have fought for our nation, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

1989 FHP # 1510
http://public.fotki.com/w4ata/
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/w4ata/
1993 LX Hatch ( SOLD )