Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:12 AM

Default 0327 July Update

While in the SF Bay Area this week, I visited my friend's body shop in Santa Clara, CA. 0327 is now on the calendar to go in for body and paint work in mid-August. I won't know until he sees it how long it will take, but he knows I want it to look good so it will probably take some time. But with some luck, and if I can make a pending connection with an interior shop in my area, 0327 just might be done by the end of this year.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:02 PM

How much work does your interior need?

I stripped all of mine out of the car prior to it going to paint jail. Sent the seats out to the trim shop to be rebuilt and recovered while it was there. I rebuilt and refinished the center console and shotgun rack, cleaned up the door cards, kick panels and rear quarter panel covers and sourced a new carpet and headliner while waiting for the car to return.

Once #3035 was back, I was able to dive right in to putting the completed interior back in the car. During this down time I also got all the trunk components ready to install. Car came back to me painted on July 3 and I was just ready to show the car for the Ripon show in early October. Would have gone a lot faster if I didn't have that inconvenient thing called work always getting in the way back then!
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 07-08-2017, 12:14 PM

It needs a substantial amount of work, but with the help of chp1982 I have a complete set of restored seats, leaving carpet, headliner, door trim, package tray and misc items. I have the materials to make a new package tray (2nd try, I didn't like the way the first one I made came out), and I'll work on the other parts while 0327 is in the shop. I want the headliner professionally installed and I do want to install sound-absorbing material so that will take some time.

One of the difficult things I see with the interior is the status of all the plastic trim parts. Some have cracks, many have been discolored by sun exposure.

The only way I won't drive 0327 to Ripon in October will be if it's still in the body shop. But I will certainly be at Ripon.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:12 AM

Moving right along! I'd recommend having your bodyman take a look at the interior plastics. He should be able to match the color spot on. The crack on the driver a-pillar should not be an issue. The rear quarters will take a little more work to match the texture where the sun chalked them up. It has been done though.
I have a-pillars and a few other bits if you need them. Carpet install is pretty easy.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:46 PM

Default One Last Equipment Check for 0327

In preparation for going into the body shop on August 8, I did one last check of emergency equipment before the spotlights, antenna mount, and the rest of the interior is removed. I made a short (20 second) video of this, with 0327 sporting the new "Historical Vehicle" license plates that make her street legal:

https://youtu.be/Xw7PuW-xd18

The Code 3 part is short; I didn't want to disturb the neighbors too much!

When 0327 goes in to the body shop, I will take ongoing photos to document the process. I will probably have some questions for the Forum, so please stay tuned!
Old 07-22-2017, 10:45 AM

Too cool!
Old 08-01-2017, 08:19 AM

very nice Steve.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 08-01-2017, 08:56 AM

Very cool!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 08-08-2017, 11:26 AM

Good job Steve !!
It will look sharp once painted and completed ! Looks good now !

Congrats !
Old 08-08-2017, 09:48 PM

After a 160 mile drive today, 0327 is now at the body shop in Santa Clara, CA. This is going to be a lot of work; all removable parts will come off including hood, trunk lid, fenders, doors. Painted separately then reinstalled. They want to strip off all the white paint that Earl Scheib put on 33 years ago. I need to get new side moldings for the front fenders and rear quarter panels. I told them it's gotta look good. I do plan to stop by from time to time and may even pitch in and do some work. I will get progress photos to post here.