Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Welcome!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Welcome! New Member/Visitor area. Feel free to post up any questions you have about the site or the forums.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:03 PM

Default Positive Outlook

Greetings SSP.Net

In January, I separated with my six month long love, an 84 GT 5.0 Convertible with skunk, black/white graphics; she was one of a kind. It was sold with a generous family discount as a good deed to my nephew who was about to graduate from high school. Not only that but it was a favor to my brother who was en-route to Germany on his last overseas tour with the Army. He wanted his son to have something special, his first car, and a mustang for graduation. Despite the good deed, it was difficult to let her go; she was my weekend cruiser and my first convertible. However, it was the right thing to do. I had my wish come true during my high school years with a 67 289 Coupe.

Following a long and stressful day at the office back in March, I decided to stop in on a local show in Long Beach hosted by the Beach Cities Mustang crew. There, I meet member Dale, who brought his 93 5.0 LX to show. Although I just contracted the fox body fever about a year ago, I wasn’t too much interested in the coupe. As I slowly walked around this beater of a coupe, I observed a single car badge that was very familiar to me, yet stood out of place. It read “Police Interceptor”, located on the left side of the deck lid. I said to myself, on a mustang? But it looked cool on the coupe for obvious reasons even though not correct. Upon further inquiry, Dale schooled me on the SSP Mustang and my interest in the Fox BodyMustangs stepped up to a whole new level.

He informed me the LX was purchased at auction from the Los Angeles Unified School District who originally acquired several EX-CHP mustangs for their fleet to use as marked cars for patrol and other uses. Interestingly, he worked as a school safety officer at LAUSD and had the inside scoop on the sale of these SSPs back in 2010. Since date of his purchase and 160K on the odometer, it has been his daily driver with minimal maintenance or change from its original auction condition. She’s still a beater but reliable and cooler than ever knowing that she represent two awesome icons in American culture, Mustang cars and the CHP.

At last, my off duty time has purpose and most important of all, a positive outlet to keep things balanced. In June, I picked up my first SSP, 93 CHP from Phil who previously owned a fully restored 86 CHP that was featured in Mustang Monthly 2007. My new lady is a survivor being that she has over 210K miles but has a two stage paint job, decent interior and with what looks like mostly stock parts. All the signs of an SSP are there including title and registration from DMV stating it’s a “Prior Police” vehicle. I haven’t done much research on the SSP yet. However, this site has been a wealth of information with excellent photos of fully restored SSPs. Once the unit number is acquired, my mission will begin.

For now, I’m content with taking her out as undercover SSP and having fellow fox body mustang enthusiasts wonder if she’s real or not. I apologize for the novel length post, but I felt this was the right group of people to share my personal story of my pride and joy for these Bad Ass Mustangs. I look forward to and appreciate any future help and advice from members of this forum. Thank you for letting me share.

Best Regards, Conner
Old 11-03-2012, 09:20 PM

Congrats on the purchase and welcome.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:34 PM

Congrats and Welcome !
Old 11-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Bobby Edwards

Welcome aboard :-)

1983 GSP#3083 Capt. C. Stallings #99 Post 41

1988 GSP#8292 Trpr R. Wilcox #799 Post 27; ACE wrecked in service with 24k miles; most documented & lowest mileage GSP

1990 GSP#0196 Trpr P. Kirkpatrick #756 Post 29

1992 GSP#2221 Trpr M. Prince #895 Post 9; “1 of 6” LoJack GSP Mustangs
Old 11-04-2012, 08:32 AM

Conner, welcome to the site! Thanks for sharing your story. Please post up some pictures of your SSP. Does your friend, Dale, have any pictures of those SSP Mustangs when they worked as patrol vehicles for the Los Angeles Unified School District?

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:50 AM

Welcome Conner. Did Phil give you any documentation or information about your car's CHP history? I know him to be quite knowledgable on the subject.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 11-04-2012, 10:56 PM

Default Positive Outlook

Thank you for the welcomes. I haven't had any contact with Dale since our first meeting in March. However, I will look him up to see if there's any in service photos of SSPs with the LAUSD avaible. Unfortunately or Fortunately, I did not get any documentation from Phil with exception of the certificate title that reflected "Prior Police" in the vehicle history. During completion of the sale, Phile said, " You will find many interesting things about the CHP cars as you get more and more wrapped up into research". Maybe that was his intention, to allow me the pleasure in the research and learning more about these unique mustangs for myself. I am pleased to start the research from the Unit # starting point. Quote comes to mind, it's the journey, not the distination that lessons and joys are gained.....

Talk to you soon, Conner
Old 11-07-2012, 12:10 AM

Welcome I am a new member to this site also owning a '93 CHP survivor. I am super excited about my car Im new to owning it also. I am going to be at the westminster show on Dec 9th hope u can make it and bring your CHP.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:45 AM

Default 93 CHP

My 93 CHP. Great photo taken by the previous owner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0020.jpg (63.7 KB, 82 views)
Old 11-08-2012, 02:03 AM

Default 93 CHP

Here's another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0018.jpg (60.4 KB, 80 views)