Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:11 PM

Default What's My Car Worth

I need to sell my 1988 CHP SSP Mustang, but I don't know how much to ask for it. I'd appreciate some feedback. I'm thinking of the $7,000 - $8,000 range. I am the original civilian owner. The car has 254,000 highway miles on it. It is 99.9% original. Never been in an accident. No dents or scratches on the body or paint. Car runs excellent.Interior is very good, with only one small wear spot on the driver's seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7410.jpg (85.1 KB, 149 views)
Old 05-30-2015, 12:18 PM

Welcome to the forum! You do not see many SSPs still owned by the first civilian owner. Values for these cars vary due to a number of factors. You are probably in a good spot in terms of asking price. Can we see more pictures? Can you post up the VIN label on the driver's door, and maybe any documentation you may still have from the CHP? We have a SSP VIN Project that is used to document these cars, and we do not have a lot of 88 CHP cars presently.

EDIT: For comparison sake, here is a restored 1992 NC car on CL - http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/5049256272.html

Quote:
1992 Mustang SSP - $7900 (Camden NC)

1992 mustang SSP coupe. 5.0 automatic....This SSP is a retired NC highway patrol unmarked car refinished to near as-delivered condition as can be. original color paint, original interior, and original under the hood. The AC blows cold, and she runs and drives like a dream!....we have teamed up with Scottwheels Mustang Restoration, to bring out some of the finest coupes in the area, and this is one of them, lots of documentation follows this car including Greensboro highway patrol garage service records. This SSP car served in the Greensboro area from 1992-95 when it retired from service. This coupe is for sale, available now......7900, call

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!

Last edited by 28HopUp; 05-30-2015 at 03:14 PM. Reason: added a link
Old 05-30-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
EDIT: For comparison sake, here is a restored 1992 NC car on CL - http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/5049256272.html
Thanks for posting that one, Bill. Just an fyi doesn't appear to have an equipment setup like the NCSHP had in their SSPs (including unmarked SSPs). I didn't study the ad as to whether they were station NCSHP or another agency, but just putting that out there in case it is helpful. Thanks!

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 06-01-2015, 08:38 PM

I've posted an ad in the for sale area with more info and pics of my 88 CHP Mustang.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosleys View Post
I need to sell my 1988 CHP SSP Mustang, but I don't know how much to ask for it. I'd appreciate some feedback. I'm thinking of the $7,000 - $8,000 range. I am the original civilian owner. The car has 254,000 highway miles on it. It is 99.9% original. Never been in an accident. No dents or scratches on the body or paint. Car runs excellent.Interior is very good, with only one small wear spot on the driver's seat.
i have a chp also around sme condition as yours and i think your rit on the mony with that appasal however here in norther california non chp clean notchbacks go for that price
Old 02-22-2016, 08:35 PM

Don't be offended as I am only trying to give you my .02.

It is a CHP car which in the SSP world is very common.
It has 250k plus miles.
It needs a complete restoration including paint, mechanicals, and interior because with 254K miles I assure you the interior is faded and the drivetrain is tired.

To properly restore the car a person will have upwards of 15k plus the purchase price. For the next 25 years the car will never be worth what a person would have in it if they did it right. If adding the correct CHP equipment and decals you are looking at another 2k minimum.

If I was looking to just drive the car....5k tops. It is a fox mustang coupe. There are millions of them.

If you get 7k for the car you have hit a grand slam homerun.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 02-23-2016, 03:44 PM

FYI-the original poster sold the car and it is now headed to Australia. The new owner is a former highway patrolman and noted Mustang restorer there so the car is in good, albeit faraway hands. Nope, I don't know the selling price.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 02-23-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac88chp View Post
FYI-the original poster sold the car and it is now headed to Australia. The new owner is a former highway patrolman and noted Mustang restorer there so the car is in good, albeit faraway hands. Nope, I don't know the selling price.
good deal. Hopefully the new owner will give it a good home. It will be pretty rare "over there" for sure. lol

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP