Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Agency-Specific Restoration
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Agency-Specific Restoration Have an Agency-Specific question? This is the place.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:53 PM

Default Questions for Texas SSP people

My questions are in regard to my 1985 TxDPS unit 5-637.
What type of siren speaker is used and where is it located?
How are the radar, radio head, siren drive mounted? Are they on a common stack? Did the Texas cars normally have a center console? Any trunk layout information such as where the radio was mounted, crash box, fire extinguisher, etc? Standard gray G.E. speaker of the era and its location? Any interior markings, labels or decals? Any close-up photos of an '85 interior would be most appreciated. One last question for now. I was told to check out "Tony's" photo gallery at this site. http://public.fotki.com/78charlie/dp...cle_equipment/. When I tried it shows page has been closed, is this information available someplace else?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-05-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granada1 View Post
My questions are in regard to my 1985 TxDPS unit 5-637.
What type of siren speaker is used and where is it located?

unknown on what type or manufacturer of siren speaker. You can determine where it was mounted by locating the existing mounting holes. Your car will have the mounting holes visible where it was mounted.

How are the radar, radio head, siren drive mounted?

Numerous available in service pictures clearly show the radar unit sitting on the top of the dash. The radio head was attached with screws to the bottom of the dash under the existing factory radio. Your car will have existing mounting holes visible where it was mounted. Same for the siren.

Are they on a common stack?
no

Did the Texas cars normally have a center console?
no

Any trunk layout information such as where the radio was mounted,

Your car will have existing mounting holes visible in the trunk area where the radio tray was mounted.

crash box, fire extinguisher, etc?

Since 99.99 percent of patrol cars had this equipment in the trunk I would be willing to bet that Texas used it also. The exact location probably varied. I would think if it is in the trunk somewhere it is correct. If there was a fire extinguisher mounted in the trunk, your car will have existing holes to determine the location.

Standard gray G.E. speaker of the era and its location?
Your car should have existing holes to determine where the speaker was installed. I would pull the carpet and inspect the floorboard/hump area on the passenger side.

Any interior markings, labels or decals? Any close-up photos of an '85 interior would be most appreciated.

none that I know of.

One last question for now. I was told to check out "Tony's" photo gallery at this site. http://public.fotki.com/78charlie/dp...cle_equipment/. When I tried it shows page has been closed, is this information available someplace else?

Evidently Tony chose not to support Fotki and until he does the pictures will not be available unless Tony chooses to send them to you directly.

Thanks,
Mike
just about everything mounted in the car during it's service life can be determined by looking for screw holes.

hope this helps

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 11-05-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granada1 View Post
One last question for now. I was told to check out "Tony's" photo gallery at this site. http://public.fotki.com/78charlie/dp...cle_equipment/. When I tried it shows page has been closed, is this information available someplace else?
Mike,

I too have a Fotki account which is closed. I was unaware that they changed their program to a paid hosting site. I need to activate my account since I have a good amount of photos there, but I never rec'd any notice from Fotki that they had changed. Tony is probably unaware as well.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 11-05-2015, 03:51 PM

I had to pony up some cashola today to re-open my account up as well. It is a very small expense. It took about two hours once I paid for me to access it.

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 11-05-2015, 03:57 PM

Mike does your car still have the extra rear view mirror mount affixed to the windshield? TXDPS ran two mirrors in the event their were two troopers in the car. Several in service pictures show this and my 85 still has it on the original windshield.

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 11-05-2015, 04:03 PM

Jim,
Thanks for the response. This car spent the last part of its life as a race car. No interior was left and there are a couple hundred extra holes drilled all over the vehicle. The trunk floor/spare tire well was so bad I had to replace it. Without a clue of some kind on what went where I can't begin to guess on the correct equipment location. This is why I have such basic questions.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 11-05-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
Mike does your car still have the extra rear view mirror mount affixed to the windshield? TXDPS ran two mirrors in the event their were two troopers in the car. Several in service pictures show this and my 85 still has it on the original windshield.
All the glass had been replaced by plastic. The two mirror thing is a very neat detail.
Thanks,
Mike